Best Paint......

May 1, 2018
Catalina 25 5432 Hebgen Lake
I have a few , well more than a few hairline cracks/"spider-webs" on the deck and hull, none very deep, most seem to be just below the surface. Whats the best paint/product to apply to seal those cracks, and while I'm at it, how about some non-skid where the faded non-skid used to be? Boat is a Cat 22, built in 1985

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
No paint will seal spider cracks. The best is to dremmel them out then fill with a sandable epoxy mix. Then paint over em with a good topside paint of your choice. (I know you always wanted to use the tiny ball sander bit, now you can!)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Forget paint unless you enjoy doing this often. Assuming these are stress cracks you don't want to recur, the best fix is removing them. To do so you grind out the gel to solid glass with no crack visible and fair in the area with epoxy resin and new glass, cover with gelcoat or paint if doing the whole surface.

May 1, 2018
Catalina 25 5432 Hebgen Lake
Not so much stress cracks, just really thin cracks, probably from being left inside a really hot storage unit for way too long. She's a "rescued" boat that didn't see the light of days for 4-5 years! Lotsa blood, sweat, and tears in her now, not to mention $$$$$$! Worse than a Mistress!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hi there... check out my thread, South African Catalina 22, to see exactly why you do not want to simply try and hide "spider cracks" under a coat of paint!

There is simply just no simple quick fix... do it properly once or do it often... your choice?

Last edited: