Best Overall trailer sailboat under $4000 21'-26'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2009
dont have one yet none New Port RIchey
Hello, I am pretty much new to sailboats in general and I am looking for the best overall trailerable sail boat between 21'-26' and under $4000. I have been reading up a lot about the different manufactures, keel types, cabin types, specs, prices, etc, so I am pretty familiar with the models and terminology, but I am just making sure I am on the right track.

List of needs:
1. I live in West Central FL so a swing keel or centerboard would be nice to navigate the sandbars.
2. Needs to be trailerable, but I may have access to a free mooring lot on a channel (but I may have to do random chores for a friend of the family). Would also like to take it to the Keys every now and then
3. I have a lot of powerboat experience, but little sailing, I plan on attend a local sailing school in the near future, but I would like to have something that sails well,
4. I like the prospect of racing, so a fast boat would be an obvious plus.
**5. I will need an outboard, but I am not considering this as a part of the boat since I can get those separate from the boat.
6. Maintenance and parts may also be a factor, I don't want to purchase a boat and not find any parts for it

Things I don't really need:
1. I don't plan on doing many over-nighters, but a decent sized cabin would be nice for entertaining during a day out on the island. I intend to eventually move to a larger boat if i really want to travel longer distances.
2. I don't need many electronics, I don't plan on going far. I also have downloaded a couple of really nice boating apps onto my iPhone, which has GPS and nautical charts, tide charts, point of sail calculator (very cool for a newbie), and knot guide, so I am pretty well set there.

I am getting married (oh no!) in May so my fiance wont let me get anything soon, but after may i will start hitting Craigslist hard. So if anyone has any input on a good manufacturer and/or boat model, please let me know.

Thanx,
Thanx

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
many opinions...

there are lots of opinions.

A Macgregor 26D or 26S (likely more expensive) would be something to compare things to.

there is good support, a large user community, and price is in line.

Other opinions will come... go sailing and see what you like...

--jr

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
My sailing area (eastern NC sounds & rivers) has lots of thin water, too. I highly recommend the MacGregor 26S, since the centerboard will simply swing up in shallow water. Doesn't have standing headroom inside, unless you put the poptop up, but overall its a great boat for trailer sailing (launch anywhere a power boat can) and sailing in shallow water (draft about 20" with board up). You can beach it easily. Goto the MacGregor forum on this site and look up boat info to get more details. Your only problem: you may have to go over $4K, even w/o a motor. No, you can't have mine! -Paul

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
If you want a little more stability, try one with a weighted swing keel. I bought my 1976 MacGregor 25 with a 625# swing keel off e-bay for $710 (without trailer). It had sails and a 9.9 Honda that ran. I did have to spend some energy on bottom and keel cleanup but it sure worked out fine.

Aug 26, 2009
dont have one yet none New Port RIchey
What type of boat would be faster a weighted keel or a ballast and centerboard? Also what type would be considered better for a beginner?

There seem to be several Mac 25's on craigslist, so it seems to be a pretty common boat.
Thanx guys

T

tractorjohn

let me think! Trailer sailor, trailerable, transportable

$4,000, When your talking this price range, I think other things are more important because you cant have the best overall boat and not spend money.
Other things to consider for me are
#1 can I get all my money back when I sell next year (careful purchasing will show a profit)
#2 what do I still have to buy to make this boat work for me (answer directly affects #1)
#3 Draft is a big variable, just because you can trailer and ramp launch doesn't make the boat beachable. A swing keel boat may need 2-3 feet to float with keel up.
The Mac 26x needs only 9" to float because the keel swings into the hull, but is more than your price range. The mac 25s draws about 2 1/2 feet, keel retracted, costs about 4k, Catalina 25 draws about 2 1/2 feet keel up, sails very well and is about 6k
#4 what weight can my tow vehicle handle.
#5 The most important issue I think is, "how much work is it to rig the boat and launch"
If it takes 2-3 hrs to rig, you wont be using it as a trailer sailer, you will want to leave it moored somewhere.
Summer is about over, prices should start falling, if you can wait a few months you can make your profit and then use it for your next best boat.
#6 I would buy a Catalina 25 with a swing keel, don't pay extra for any electronics or other gear, and don't buy one needing sails or gear. Get one with a motor and trailer or else plan on losing your profit when you sell. Don't listen to naysayers about swing keels, but make sure the system is in good shape (replace the cable about $100)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you can find a Cal 24, snap it up. I love the Capri 22(built by Catalina). It's a sport version of the catalina 22 and is designed for daysailing and racing. I has a much larger cockpit... which is where you will be entertaining in a boat that size, not the cabin. It has beautiful lines and easy foredeck access for your crew to set that spinnaker. The have a shallow draft version, don't know about a centerboard option.

Here's an example:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scapri22118.html

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Check out the Catalina 22. Over 15,000 produced and still going strong. You should be able to pick up a mid to late 80's C22 within your budget.

Once you climb aboard a C22 you become part of an wide ranging and fanatic fan club. Able to float in your bathtub, can take a licking when required...

You want to be able to talk to others who have older boats that who know how to get the most out of them. Go to: http://www.catalina22.org/

Also, since the factory is still cranking them out, Catalina still provides excellent support.

Look for an older C22 and you hardly can't go wrong. First produced in 1968, it is one of the longest continuously produced sailboats in the world.

BTW: I don't own a C22 but admire this charter member of the "Hall of Fame" boat...http://www.sailamerica.com/halloffame/catalina22.asp

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
My Chrysler C-22 found me and at time of first splash for me including the tailer I built I had $500 into it so $4k should find you a very nice boat. look on ebay there are alot of great deals. walk around different marinas in your area you will see forsale signs taped to hulls. smaller swing keels would be faster easier to learn the bigger will have more comfort

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Balboa 26

http://www.practical-sailor.com/boatreviews/Balboa-26-boat-review.html

I do not own a Balboa 26, but have sailed them, also a 27 and a Norsea 27 all designed by Hess. You're going back a long way but the idea then was to build a boat for sailing, in the 80's and 90's the boats are built to impress the women or trailering and sailing was second or third on the list. The new boats of today, sailing is last on the list.

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
Re: Balboa 26

like my clipper...swing keel is great...you can look at pics in my profile albums...don;t know if many around..

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
I'd plug the Sandpiper 565 here, except that they're just under 19', which is obviously below the OP's minimum length of 21'.

Still, they're alotta fun, and good used ones can often be found for under US$ 4k.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
For your budget I'd suggest a look at the Catalina 22 as well. Also, the Hunter 22 from the mid-80's has a swing centerboard for trailering and shallow water convenience.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Check out the Spirit 23, a boat built by Glasstron in Austin Tx, back in the 70’s.. many were sold with a pop top that would give you plenty headroom at anchor. My ’78 model was very well built and had comparatively heavy rigging. It made a few trips out to the gulf islands off Mississippi.. It is an encased lead shot ballasted boat with a swing board that tucks up into the stub keel 2 foot min draft.. she sailed well .. The pop top was great because it was easy to put bug screens all around when at anchor.. kept the cabin very cool.. The top had strong and positive latches to keep it secure when it got rough. The only common thing that I know of that fails is the front hatch. It was a smoked plexi heat formed three dimensional piece that embrittled in the sun and cracked. The original hatch could be used as a plug to make a plaster-of-paris mold which could then be used to lay a new part up in out of fiberglass. Most have probably been replaced by now.. many had small blisters if kept in the water.. Mine did. The boat is still in my marina.. the current owner has taken several trips to Pensacola (180 miles) in it ..
Here is one.. http://www.theklipper.com/viewad.asp?id=50583713866101416

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006
Macgregor Mac26c Longmont
O Day 22,23,222, I had a oday 20 it was to small for me (250+ lbs) but it was put together very well.

Sep 8, 2009
Island Packet 31 Cutter/Centerboard Federal Point Yacht Club, Carolina Beach, NC

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2009
Columbia Yachts C22 Long Beach
Seriously, just get a MacGregor.

Pre 1980 MacGregors are called Ventures. You will easily find one between 21 and 25ft in good condition with a trailer for under $4,000. They are light and fast, and comfortable enough for entertaining.

Don't take my word for it. Visit the owners forums for Catalina, Balboa, and Hunter, then go to the Mac forum. You will see the difference. We are a tight knit community and we love our boats. Why? Because Macs rock.

See for yourself. I was indecisive between a Catalina 22 and a Macgregor/Venture 25. It was the owners forums that helped me make my decision.

I regret nothing.

Sep 8, 2009
Island Packet 31 Cutter/Centerboard Federal Point Yacht Club, Carolina Beach, NC
Re: Seriously, just get a MacGregor.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2006
- - Grand Prairie, Tx. Joe Pool Lake
I have a couple of comments... 1st I agree with almost everyone here...

You really need to know what your tow vehicle can tow... I originally went to buy a MacGregor 21 in 1985 an was talked into a 22... the foot longer meant the much smaller car I had at the time would not be useable. Having said that I still have a Mac 22, because I can always load it up and be sailing within an hour of arriving at the lake. It sails well and was easy to single hand.(with rigging led back). With a 150 Genoa and 10-12 knots of wind it would sail at hull speed and be great fun.

The catalina 22 would give the same results possibly in a slightly better built boat. (I could always beat them tho!)

If you have a large enough tow vehicle I would recommend the Mac 25 or C25. More space but not much more hassle or work to sail. If you can get one of the newer Mac 26's then you have even more boat with more performance... the plus side of the 26 is that is tows like my 22 as they are about the same weight since it uses water for ballast.(which is drained when trailered) I missed a chance to buy a Max 26x a few years ago because I did not try to lowball the owner and it ended up selling for under 10k with a 50hp outboard(it can be used with the mast down and ballast tank empty just like a powerboat(even pulls skiers), but with decent sailing performance with the mast up.). It would have made me get rid of my beloved 1987 M22.

The only other thing I might suggest is to get your future wifes opinion on sailing... Will she be 1st mate? If so go for whatever you can afford... if not go smaller since you will be single handing alot!

Whatever you get... find an associated forum and learn from the members... That and find some place to race it... you will be shocked at how much you learn from other owners and from racing!

Sep 28, 2009
na 2009 na
hi
I highly recommend the MacGregor 26S, since the centerboard will simply swing up in shallow water. Doesn't have standing headroom inside, unless you put the poptop up,i have a plan to go for it after my cissp classes but overall its a great boat for trailer sailing and sailing in shallow water.

Status
Not open for further replies.