Best Manual toilet.......

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Just got a new boat (to me) that has two electric toilets. While this is neat and everything, there is no way to get the stuff down should the power go down or they break. Would like to replace one with a manual and then keep the other for possible replacement parts.

So, what is the most reliable brand....

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
In a Practical Sailor test, the Raritan performed slightly better than the Jabsco, but you can buy 2 Jabscos for what a Raritan costs.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Raritan PHII. Sure, double your work with two Jabscos, but why bother?

BTDT with two W/C Headmates, which by themselves were better than any Jabscos.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
get the PHII - great head, very reliable. Sure, the Jabsco is cheaper - but the pump you'll replace every year or two costs as much as the whole toilet. If your electrics have a standard porcelain bowl, either std size or compact, you can buy the LBA kit and just replace the pump base - easy to do. SBO has them.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We put a Raritan PHC in our C310 last year. Very happy with it. Less expensive than the PHII-not sure if there are any drawbacks compared to the PHII, but the basic pumping system seems the same.

IIRC the PHC (with brand new bowl-on a used boat this could be a huge feature) was about the same cost as the LBA kit.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm convinced that Jabsco GIVES their toilets to boatbuilders... and make up that small loss with the lifetime of regular replacement parts they sell to the boat owners.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Well, everyone that thinks that Raritans don't stink have spoken up. My Jabsco is going into it's 11th year. I changed the pump, but for the newer, twist-lock version. I swapped out a couple of jokers, but after using a Raritan joker, it has been maintenance free.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
We put a Raritan PHC in our C310 last year. Very happy with it. Less expensive than the PHII-not sure if there are any drawbacks compared to the PHII, but the basic pumping system seems the same.
The both use the same pump. The only difference was the base...the PHC was on "Compact" base.

Raritan has replaced the PHII and PHC with the PH SuperFlush. It still uses the PHII pump--which has been the top rated manual toilet pump in its class (used to be <$500...now <$1000 due to inflation) for 30 years. Keep it well lubricated and rebuild every 5-6 years (about $60 for the kit) and it'll easily last 20+ reliable trouble-free years

They've been able to reduce the price of the PH SuperFlush considerably (<$300 @ Defender, not sure if sbo.com has it yet) by redesigning the base to fit both the standard and compact version and also making it a "plug 'n' play" replacement for any Jabsco manual toilet. Yes, it does still cost about twice as much as a Jabsco...but you only have to buy it ONCE in 20 years.

I've never quite understood the logic behind the perceived need for a manual "backup" to an electric toilet. If you don't have even the 10-15 amps needed to flush a toilet, whether you can flush or not is the LEAST of your problems...Cuz you're likely not to have lights, steering, communications, maybe not even an engine...but you will still have a bucket and a line to put that over the side to "flush" it! So enjoy the "push button" convenience of your electric toilets...maintain 'em...don't flush wet wipes!!!...keep your batteries charged...and you shouldn't have any need to replace either one for years. But if/when you do, do NOT put a manual toilet in your "guest" head...why? Because it's guests who cause 99% of toilet problems...so the last thing you want to do is provide them with a toilet that requires 'em do more than push a button to flush it!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well, everyone that thinks that Raritans don't stink have spoken up. My Jabsco is going into it's 11th year. I changed the pump, but for the newer, twist-lock version. I swapped out a couple of jokers, but after using a Raritan joker, it has been maintenance free.
Ditto. Our Jabsco is still original and work fine. '91 Hunter

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The Raritan is not a plug and play replacement for all Jabsco installations. The problems have been discussed in a few threads here on SBO. Do a search before you commit to making the change.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The Raritan is not a plug and play replacement for all Jabsco installations.
That was true a year ago. But if you'd actually read my post, you'd have seen that Raritan has modified the base of the new PH SuperFlush to a be a plug 'n' play replacement for any version of the Jabsco manual toilet...the mounting bolt patterns are a match. The only issue is the flush water inlet hose...the fitting is on the front of the PHII pump, on the back of the Jabsco manual. That may require a few feet of new 3/4" inlet hose. If you're gonna let THAT decide whether to upgrade your toilet or not...................

However, it's always been true that the Raritan SeaEra is a plug 'n' play replacement for the Jabsco 37010 electric macerating toilet...the mounting bolt patterns were purposely designed to be a match.

My Jabsco is going into it's 11th year. I changed the pump, but for the newer, twist-lock version
You and Rick remind me of the family who inherited an axe that once belonged to George Washington....the head has been replaced twice and the handle has been replaced three times, but to them it's still ol' George's original axe.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
+1 on the Raritan PHII. My older O'Day 322 has one, and have not had any issues since I bought her 3 years ago. My old boat had a Jabsco, and every year required a rebuild. One year even replaced the whole pump assembly.

Since you have 2 heads, buy a good manual (PHII) for times you need a manual and keep the other electric in place.

Greg

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Had a Jabsco on my Capri 26. Used it every weekend plus some cruising for 3 years. That's about a decade's worth of use for most.
Had to replace the joker, and clear some seagrass once. Otherwise no problems. Kept it lubricated.
On current boat, original head was a Raritan. Pumping mechanism failed catastrophically at age 28 years. Plus it was just, old. Found a compact Raritan on miracle sale for $160. Been using it regularly for 4+ years. Zero problems. Only use veg oil to lubricate. Plus keep it clean.
Also Raritan head has a quality look, feel and sound. Jabsco was cheesier.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
That was true a year ago. But if you'd actually read my post, you'd have seen that Raritan has modified the base of the new PH SuperFlush to a be a plug 'n' play replacement for any version of the Jabsco manual toilet...the mounting bolt patterns are a match. The only issue is the flush water inlet hose...the fitting is on the front of the PHII pump, on the back of the Jabsco manual. That may require a few feet of new 3/4" inlet hose. If you're gonna let THAT decide whether to upgrade your toilet or not..............
Peggy, what you are failing to mention is the fact that there is over a 2" difference in the location of the discharge hose fitting. This is is a major issue if your present Jabsco installation has the discharge hose coming up from the bottom of the head floor. Not exactly plug and play when you can't connect the discharge hose to the Raritan toilet.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Easy to fix: Most toilets come standard with a straight discharge fitting...just call Raritan and tell 'em you need to swap it out for a 90. It's rotatable...aim it where it needs to go before you tighten the "collar."

One caution when connecting the discharge fitting--straight or 90--to ANY toilet pump: DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN IT! The flange on the joker valve is the gasket that seals the connection. over-tightening it will pucker that gasket, which will cause the leak you're trying to prevent. So only tighten the screws to just snug...test for leak. If it leaks, tighten just a LITTLE more...test again. Quit tightening when it no longer leaks.

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Easy to fix: Most toilets come standard with a straight discharge fitting...just call Raritan and tell 'em you need to swap it out for a 90. It's rotatable...aim it where it needs to go before you tighten the "collar."
Compare the drawings of the Raritan and Jabsco toilets. You will see that when both toilets have the 90 degree discharge fitting in place, there is over a 2" difference in their exit location. It's not simply a matter of changing the fitting or rotating it. By design, the discharge of the Raritan is impossible to exit in the same location as the Jabsco. I just want people to understand that there are more differences in the two toilets that aren't discussed in any of the literature. Perpetuating the myth isn't helping anybody. Sure the small base holes match but the much larger discharge hose doesn't.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
there is over a 2" difference in their exit location
Ted, I hear your reasonable cautions, but could it be that this issue you're describing is based more on the limitations of a too small space on your individual boat than anything having to do with a replacement head?

When I replaced my old Headmate with our PHII, I didn't have a ballroom, but I did at least have wiggle room.

Head Replacement 101 - Installation of PHII Head http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3797.0.html

Sorry you didn't.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sure the small base holes match but the much larger discharge hose doesn't.
That's because Jabsco is the ONLY toilet mfr who's ever used a 1" discharge...and even they finally had to begin offering a choice of 1" or the 1.5" discharge used by every other toilet mfr and which is also the standard holding tank inlet and discharge fitting size...which, unless the tank was custom made with a 1" inlet fitting, requires splicing a section of 1.5" hose to the Jabsco toilet discharge line to be able to connect it to the tank. So you're blaming Raritan for what's really an anomaly in Jabsco plumbing. However, Raritan even solves THAT problem by offering a discharge fitting that's tapered to fit both 1" and 1.5" hoses.

That still might not make it a true "plug 'n' play" swap out on your boat...you might have to drill another hole. Some thing are worth a little extra effort...at least most people think so.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
As Peggy said, ours went right in on our 356 - well worth the change. the discharge hose hooked rith up - all I had to do was drill a few pilot holes for a couple of new lag bolt locations.