Best fire prevention device for sailboat w/ diesel engine, etc.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
After a while the powder cakes up in the bottom of the bottle. Pressure reads ok but nothing will come out when you pull the trigger.
By the way, one FE might keep the Coast Guard happy, but when you need one ten is not enough. I have six on my 36 footer, only required to carry two.
One Fire Extinguisher will NOT keep the USCG happy! All boats over 26' need at least 2 B-1 (or 1 B-2) extinguisher, more is always better (within reason?).

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Does anyone have one of those fire access holes in their engine cover? It is on my project list. I also thought about one for the battery compartment.
So THAT’s what the hole/cover is for on our h36. It’s in the side of the engine compartment with a nice teak cover, and there just so happens to be a fire extinguisher mounted on the wall above it. Thanks for mentioning this feature!
Dan

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Somewhere on this thread is mentioned fire blankets. Reminded me. I purchased two through Amazon and mounted one at home and will have one on the boat when I get home. Probably the first line of defense.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I thought about this for a while, a boat makes nasty stuff when burning, just get off the boat. Extinguishers are to protect your retreat, besides the insurance company will probably write off all the stuff you think you saved.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The shaking and rubber mallet routine is unnecessary, myth, I think. I recall encountering this when I researched them last year. I ended up getting four new rechargeable, tagged Buckeye ABC extinguishers: three 5lb. and one 2.5lb. units. Came with good brackets, and was $170 total with shipping. (This is for a 38', two cabin boat.) . It turns out my old Kidde unites were replaced free, via the recall! So, I have extras, which I'll deploy at home. My point is, I guess, that good fire protection is not that much, considering, and the "good" units from Buckeye are about the same price as the boat store or Kidde units. I have the small one for the galley, the big ones for forward cabin, aft cabin, and cockpit (for fighting one's way back into the cabin).

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bu...able-tagged-ul-rating-3a-40-b-c/47225614.html