Best cable deck seal?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I am planning to route some solar panel cables through the deck in an area that's frequently washed with waves, and looking at the Scanstrut DS-H6 Horizontal Deck Seals. The cables are round, slightly less than 1/4" diameter.
These look ideal but this is an important choice considering I'll be making more holes in an area that will be frequently awash -- I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with these or can suggest anything better.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Can you reroute the cables to go through a vertical surface? That would reduce the chance of leaking.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks hardy. Says it is guaranteed, whatever that means. Requires 4 holes in the deck. 1 Cable hole and 3 screws.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
They look like they will work. Might want to take a belt and suspenders approach and seal the cap to the deck with some butyl tape.
:plus: Yes, butyl tape is in my plan. I will discard the rubber pad. After a few years those rubber pads get deformed and the seal gets degraded. Butyl lasts 30+ years and doesn't dry out. It will outlast the panels.

Feb 11, 2017
I used the Scan Strut with butyl tape and it came out nice. No leaks and looks good too. Quality, but expensive

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
looking at the Scanstrut DS-H6 Horizontal Deck Seals
Those look great Larry. I've only used perpendicular feed through glands. Sealcon makes some great ones but they are not as low profile as the Scanstrut horizontal ones.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Freeze the rubber puck, drill it one drill size less than the wire would actually fit through and then make a slit to the outside. You can fit more than one wire per Scan Strut deck fitting.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
:plus: Yes, butyl tape is in my plan. I will discard the rubber pad. After a few years those rubber pads get deformed and the seal gets degraded. Butyl lasts 30+ years and doesn't dry out. It will outlast the panels.
I have a similar thread right now. The beneteau 423 has 5 of these infront of the mast for the mast wiring. These now are going on 16 years and I am going to replace them as the rubber seals have all shrunk and were letting water in. As a fix I put butyl take over the rubber and it’s holding.... for now. But new they work wonderfully. I am going to buy the same ones as you..... expensive in the ss...... one thing I read is that they give you a few rubber seals one of which is a blank so that you can drill it out for sizing. If you need to go this route, put the seal into freezer overnight and get it hard before drilling...... cleaner cut.

Good luck!
Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like how the cable runs out horizontally. Less of a kick hazard.

Blue Sea makes perhaps a better one. You drill the hole in the puck yourself for a perfect match, and then slit the puck to allow a cable end. The housing them compresses the puck when sealed, creating a very waterproof fitting.

Blue Sea CableClam
540740.jpg