Best Boat Interior

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,

I was discussing with a friend the other day that different people have different tastes when it comes to boat interiors. What is your favorite interior, and why?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver has a great view of the downtown and the harbour(s). I don't remember what the paint colour is.

Oct 13, 2018
venture 222 georgia
Has anyone ever put a "floor" in their boat? I have a 22 foot Venture and the floor is the V-bottom of the hull. I was wanting to put some strips of wood down, connected by dowels that would be removable. The idea that I have is very similar to the type of step off pad that is used for an outdoor shower for an RV. I would like for it to extend from the bunk in the bow to the steps of the cockpit. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm interested!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
My wife has done a great job of making our boats wonderful! I do the lighting, stereo, cabinetry, and electronics. She does the carpeting, bedding, headliner, and cushions inside and in the cockpit.

FB1699D6-70F7-4EED-A921-AC87F690ED7D.jpeg 263373CB-9C62-4AA5-A847-F2C76D5A4E13.jpeg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
mahogany, teak, holly :)
No mahogany there. Decent story though Teak and Ash.

Trim is all Ash. Table, sole steps going down all Teak

I used to have a wood shop that did restoration on fire damaged furniture. We had two teak pieces that came in, and the owner didn't like the estimate so the insurance company put it up for bid. We sold one as is and dismantled the other- a teak buffet. the table was cut from the buffet top, and the edges used for the trim

The midle step on the companion ladder (steps?) lifts up and has a trash container under it.

And just to finish up, this is what the interior looked like when I started

1018_whatamessaft - Copy.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I do like the look of wood. I like a lot of other looks, as well. What I don't like is the look of plastic trying to look like wood. Why?
Head room is nice but boat life is filled with compromise and I'm good with that. There is little I hate more than hitting my head on a beam or bulkhead doorway header. I guess that's why they call them headers.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Headroom, comfy berths and a head with privacy.
The POs of our Hunter were apologizing for the lack of stowage room. We said "are you kidding. we come from a MacGregor!".

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I hate small rooms in houses (I'm a design builder), but I love the smaller spaces below in real sailboats. Real meaning boats that were/are, designed to be used under sail.

Snug galleys, heads, berths that are comfortable at sea as well as anchor, storage space created below that allows stowing space for everything.

I wouldn't recommend these design features, except in really large boats, for living aboard. Modern boats with wide body's and high freeboard are much more suited to live aboard, at a dock.

Still, I don't think boats make the best houses. The rooms are too small. :)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
My Criteria. How our ‘77 h27 shapes up
Berth comfort. 3 excellent, 2 good (v-berth lacks toe room)
Berth ease of access 2 excellent 2 OK - vberth, 1 athletic to quarter-berth
Sea berths. 2 excellent in cabin with drop cloths, 1 good in q-berth
Height. Good 6’
Dining seating & access. Excellent for 4, access is fair
Snug galley. Ours is snug & easy to use. Ice box access is just OK
Hand holds. Excellent, including our added handles on overhead
Ventilation at anchor. Excellent with scoop on forward hatch
Appearance. Good with laminated teak that needs a little finish work
Storage. OKFor 2, Fair for 4.

Trying out new new designs on charters and past boat shows, we observed:

Most larger boats don’t have much better berth space until around 37 feet. ( Some solve the v-berth toe room at 30+, some don’t!)
A shower in the head is good, but we prefer to bathe off the stern in fresh water.
Most models have inadequate hand holds in oversized main cabins.
It’s hard to design good table seating arrangements even in much larger cabins.
Snug U-shaped kitchens are the best.
Deck hatches for every stateroom give Moorings catamarans ideal ventilation. Many aft berths do not have adequate natural ventilation.