Beneteau 323 depth transducer correction factor

Paul8

Oct 25, 2017
Beneteau 323 Anacortes
I need to know what the depth correction factor is for a 2007 Beneteau 323 (transducer depth).

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
According to Sailboatdata.com the draft of a Beneteau 323 is 4.75'

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I believe you want the "" depth offset" number? You need from the transducer to the depth, and that could depend on where it is mounted. Below the VEE, I expect/ Is that the Raymarine that came with most 323s? I was getting tired of hitting bottom at 6 feet, so on a calm day I nudged up to the bottom to stop forward motion. I noted the depth and my 4'9" draft and programmed the difference. I will look at mine on Thursday and get back to you.

Paul8

Oct 25, 2017
Beneteau 323 Anacortes
Yes it is the original Raymarine that came with the 2007 323. I think it is mounted forward but I’d like the exact depth below the surface.
Thanks
Paul

Jan 22, 2008
... I’d like the exact depth below the surface.
Okay, get a water level into the water, bring the other end to the closest thing, mark the water depth on that surface, measure down to the thruhull. Just about about ANY offset you program, that can be offset by the composition of the seabed. Mud,sand/clay.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I was getting tired of hitting bottom at 6 feet, so on a calm day I nudged up to the bottom to stop forward motion. I noted the depth
Me, too. But I didn't program anything, I just know that when it reads 4.4 that means the ground is right at the bottom of the keel. Everyone has different preferences.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Paul8

Oct 25, 2017
Beneteau 323 Anacortes
Okay, get a water level into the water, bring the other end to the closest thing, mark the water depth on that surface, measure down to the thruhull. Just about about ANY offset you program, that can be offset by the composition of the seabed. Mud,sand/clay.
I’ll try your suggestion. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What I do is set my depth to let me know what the depth of water is and my boat draws 5' and so what I do is play
with the offset until I get the depth gauge to read what ever the water depth is and what I do is carry some line with heavy weight on one end and measure the water depth and do this every so often to double check that the depth gauge is reading correctly and do this when anchored out in a harbor.
Nick

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I just set the offset so that the instrument read six feet when the six foot tape mark on my boat hook was at the surface of the water when then end touched bottom. That was enough to allow for just over a foot of clearance between the bottom of the keel and the actual bottom. Then I set my depth alarm for 8 feet.
Its not important in my case, because my marina chart depth is nine feet and lately the water has been about three feet above the low water datum. Where I sail, the water depth goes to 300 feet at about 2 miles out and over 700 feet beyond that.
If I was somwhere like Chesapeake bay, I would certainly be much more interested in a precise measurement for sure.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I don’t understand..... why not just have it show exact depth so you know? Are we that lazy that we need a buffer to compensate..... I want to know what the depth is. Am I missing something?

Paul8

Oct 25, 2017
Beneteau 323 Anacortes
I don’t understand..... why not just have it show exact depth so you know? Are we that lazy that we need a buffer to compensate..... I want to know what the depth is. Am I missing something?
Exactly, that’s why I measured down on the waterline of my boat to the transducer (1 ft) and used this as a positive w/l setting for the offset calibration. My boat draws 5 ft so if it reads 7 (water depth) I get nervous.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I like having a 5' buffer because I know how quickly the bottom contour can change.

Paul8

Oct 25, 2017
Beneteau 323 Anacortes
I like having a 5' buffer because I know how quickly the bottom contour can change.
If you want a 5’ buffer and you know your boat draws 6’, calibrate your depth finder to water level and just don’t go in any further if the depth finder reads 11’.

Paul8

Oct 25, 2017
Beneteau 323 Anacortes
Maybe I’m not explaining myself clearly. What I’m trying to argue is that you should calibrate your depthfinder so that it shows the true depth of the water (so it doesn’t include a buffer).

Jan 22, 2008
It does make sense that your depth meter would show the same depth as the chart.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
why not just have it show exact depth so you know?
My last boat was calibrated for the actual depth which I liked. When I first started sailing my new to me boat it took me a while to realize the PO had set 0 at the bottom of the keel. I had a heart when I saw 5' knowing I draw 5'2" didn't hit bottom at 1 foot! Thank God I didn't anchor out this season as I would have calculated my scope based on the transducer depth!:yikes:

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
It does make sense that your depth meter would show the same depth as the chart.
Depends where you are, charts list mean low water depths in the Great Lakes there could be a big difference from year to year in actual depth, one must also know the corrected soundings for the year so as to adjust for the current depth, I guess at which point the depth gauge could be adjusted to match the chart numbers.