Ben 40 brown water in head

Jun 18, 2014
Beneteau 40 Herrington South
hi, after this Spring's commissioning we are getting brown water as the fill water in our head. Other faucets have clean, clear holding tank water. I assume there is some valve to switch to bay water when offshore to conserve water that our tech tripped. Anybody know where that valve is? We want to use fresh water. Thanks.

2008 Beneteau 40

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Unless your toilet is equipped with the Raritan "SeaFresh" system, there is no valve 'cuz toilets aren't designed to switch between onboard fresh water and sea water....they're all one or the other. So your toilet may not be one that's designed to use onboard fresh water. If it is, there's a a good possibility that what you're seeing isn't incoming flush water, but bowl contents backing up into the toilet, most likely due to a blocked tank vent that's pressurized the system, creating back pressure. Dirt daubers love to build their mud nests in thru-hulls during winter or other extended layup...but that's not the only thing that can block the tank vent.

So first...what's the make/model/age of your toilet?

Jun 18, 2014
I have to dig out the manuals again. It isn't obvious to me how these two systems would interact. The head has a water hose to fill the tank and a waste hose to empty the tank. They're two systems I believe physically separate. There is a Y valve to offboard waste, a red thru hull valve and a yellow valve on a bilge pump in the head for pumping overboard.

We've previously had a dauber nest in some canvass so I will look at that option for the vent. I will also look up the model of the head.

You know the Bay, Peggie. Who do you like for sanitation work near Deale Md or southern Anne Arundel?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
TMatzzie, your Beneteau's system has a hose coming into the pump for supplying water to flush; and, one going out (which is much bigger). However, the pump that pulls the water is generally the same one that removes the discharge from the boat. That's where the "mixing" that Peggy refers to may be induced because you might have a blockage.

Any reasonable boat yard in Herrington Harbour can handle this, if you don't want yourself.

Nothwithstanding that. If you set the valve to discharge "OVERBOARD" directly, fill the bowl with fresh water (from a bucket, for example), and then pump the bowl to "empty", what happens?
Does your system have a macerator pump? What's the toilet type? Do you have pictures of this stuff? etc.?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It isn't obvious to me how these two systems would interact. The head has a water hose to fill the tank and a waste hose to empty the tank. They're two systems I believe physically separate.
First of all, the toilet and the holding tank aren't two systems, they're two of the components in a single system--the sanitation system.

Every tank--water, fuel and waste-- has a hose to fill it and a hose and pump to empty it...and must also have a vent line. Tank vents have two main functions: to provide an escape for air in the tank that's displaced by incoming contents and a source of air to replace contents as they're drawn out.

If a blocked vent prevents air in the tank from escaping as the tank fills, the tank--the whole system--becomes pressurized...this creates back pressure that prevents anything more from going into the tank. In the sanitation system, that back pressure not only prevents bowl contents from getting to the tank, it pushes them back into the toilet. A toilet that's becoming harder to pump and/or "burps" and backs up is usually the first clue that the tank vent is blocked. Opening the deck pumpout cap releases the pressure...people who see the geyser usually find it very entertaining...you won't! A system that's seriously pressurized can even erupt through the toilet...there are rarely any witnesses, but the person who's pumping the toilet won't enjoy it, plus it makes an awful mess in the head.

If a blocked vent prevents any air from being pulled into the tank by the suction of a pumpout or overboard disharge pump, the pump will pull a vacuum that prevents the pump from pulling out more than a gallon or two at most. A powerful pumpout can even implode a tank.

The two most common locations for a holding tank vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. Start by using a screwdriver blade, ice pick or whatever works to scrape out the vent thru-hull. Then VERY CAREFULLY and with a hose at the ready, open the pumpout fitting cap to relieve any pressure...remove the vent line from the tank and scrape out the end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank.

If you want to prevent future vent blockages, replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open "bulkhead" thru-hull--the same kind your bilge pump uses. That will allow you to stick a hose nozzle up against it and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat and/or pump out.

I strongly recommend that both of you get my book (see link in my signature)...it's a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual that will not only teach you everything you need to know about how your sanitation system works and how to maintain it, but also how to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to fix 'em. Prevention is not only easier--and often a lot cheaper--than cure, but you get to do preventive maintenance when it's convenient...the need to fix something always occurs at the most INconvenient times!

Jun 18, 2014
Peggie, I bought the book just now. I see how the system works now. I will let folks know how we do.

Jun 18, 2014
Jabsco Quiet Flush Electric is what we have. Found the manual. So it is bay water. Maybe the marina is extra silty these days. Clearer water when sailing.

My plan is to replace the joker valve and clean out the vent hose.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I suggest you also rinse out the plumbing...'cuz if the brown water isn't backing up, it's gotta be coming into the bowl via the intake line. You could have pulled in some vegetable matter (it would STINK if it were dead animal matter!) or silt....the Bay IS shallow! If the brown water is coming down from the rim, you've definitely sucked up something.
Close the intake thru-hull, remove the intake line from it and stick it in a bucket of clean FRESH water...flush the toilet. I'd run 2-3 bucketfuls through. I'd do this after you've cleaned out the tank vent.

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Most likely is the joker valve...brown water is from the tank backing up. Trust me!!! The joker valve is meant to be replaced every couple of seasons anyway...as Peggie will tell you.