Registered users don't see ads

Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape

Discussion in 'Musings With Maine Sail' started by Maine Sail, Apr 5, 2010. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,648 posts, 480 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    There are two options, the one already mentioned, and wrapping an extra long "butyl cone" around the screw. The biggest problem with screws and wood is in properly compressing the Bed-It Tape, between the fasteners, without bowing the wood between screws or stripping the screws out of the deck. Balsa or foam are not known for their ability to hold a screw..

The optimal course of action would be to replace the wood screws with machine screws, if you have interior access to the underside of the wood. You can also stand on the wood to allow it to displace the excess Bed-It Tape to prevent further creep/bleed..

Bed-It Tape is specifically formulated to have minimal creep or what is called "cold flow", but this requires the fitting to be properly torqued in order to displace the "excess" product from under the fitting. Screws do not always have the strength to do this and wood can bend/deflect and not fully displace the product.

That said I have bedded plenty of mahogany & teak with Bed-It Tape, it just requires the proper technique to achieve the desired result..

2. Hayden Watson

Hayden Watson

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    525 posts, 105 likes
    Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs
    US Oak Harbor, WA
    Is it appropriate to use Bed-It for "structural fastenings" such as genoa tracks and chainplates?

3. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,648 posts, 480 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    Yes, so long as the fittings are through bolted, Bed-It Tape acts only as a sealant. Our genny tracks are still leak free and the boat was built in 1979 and has been across the Atlantic multiple times, to South America as well as up to Alaska, Newfoundland and Labrador... I re-bedded the chain plates about 7 years ago, using Bed-It Tape, and they had zero signs of leaking and were still in perfect condition.

Hayden Watson likes this.
  4. Hayden Watson

Hayden Watson

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    525 posts, 105 likes
    Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs
    US Oak Harbor, WA
    Thanks. That was what I thought and I have rebedded all of my chain plates with it but on a different forum someone said that it was a bad idea and that 4200 should be used for "structural" fastenings.

5. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,583 posts, 253 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    I think it's better than the other products, because it stays sticky and flexible. No sealant or caulk should be considered part of the structure. If the hardware is properly attached mechanically, as it "works" under load, as it inevitably will, it will remain sealed with the butyl rubber.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!