Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape

Tejas

Dec 15, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 Lake Travis
I've used Maine Sail's solution -- thank you very much -- and I think it is easier and better. The problem of deck screws, such as snap studs, that do not penetrate the deck can be problematic, and I hadn't thought of the moisture problem with screwed stuff. It seems that Maine Sail's solution could be easily adapted for sealing screw holes that do not penetrate the deck.

Jan 2, 2013
Coronado 35 center cockpit Bayfield, WI
I went through this whole thread and I am still not clear on using butyl tape for bedding plexiglass. I am rebuilding the hatch covers on my Coronado 35. they are both teak frames. On one the plexiglass is just fastened over the frame with bronze screws and finish washers. On the other the plexi sits down in a rabbit and then the joint is covered with a teak trim screwed in place. In both installation the plexi is allowed some movement. Would butyl tape be compatible with plexiglass in this installation?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I went through this whole thread and I am still not clear on using butyl tape for bedding plexiglass. I am rebuilding the hatch covers on my Coronado 35. they are both teak frames. On one the plexiglass is just fastened over the frame with bronze screws and finish washers. On the other the plexi sits down in a rabbit and then the joint is covered with a teak trim screwed in place. In both installation the plexi is allowed some movement. Would butyl tape be compatible with plexiglass in this installation?
In that application it would do fine. I generally don't like to use butyl as a primary bonding material but you have screws creating your strength and the butyl can do what it does best, seal....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Feb 2, 2013
cape dore 22 panama city
solar vent

Great advise on hard fittings.
I have to install a solar fan in my deck with no through holes in the original flange.
Any advise?

Oct 5, 2010
Hunter 386 Lake Texoma
Is this Butyl Tape Good for Hatches?

REFERENCE: Excellent quality butyl tape for marine applications. You can buy it here:

Bed-It Marine Sealant Tape[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was wondering if the 1/4" thickness is sufficient for bedding a hatch? Would you keep adding layers until you get enough height?

Thanks,
Mark

Feb 26, 2004
REFERENCE: Excellent quality butyl tape for marine applications. You can buy it here:

Bed-It Marine Sealant Tape
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was wondering if the 1/4" thickness is sufficient for bedding a hatch? Would you keep adding layers until you get enough height?

Thanks,
Mark[/quote]

Mark, yes, use two layers. I just did my hatch that way. Only stuff I would ever recommend.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Looks like Don has moved over to the Compass Marine Camp..
(I remember what you said about some flashy magazine eventually "using" your techniques).
BoatUS magazine sealants.

Feb 26, 2004
Looks like Don has moved over to the Compass Marine Camp..
(I remember what you said about some flashy magazine eventually "using" your techniques).
BoatUS magazine sealants.
Chris, I noted that too. "Some guy in Maine..."

Yeah, right...:eek::eek::eek:

Feb 6, 1998
Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Well, all is not lost. Seems he threw the butyl sales your way, with the admonition of "all butyls are not created equally".

See, you've been hiding in anonymity, and obscurity too long. Writing rag articles has GOT to beat busting your knuckles working on the wretched things. (This is what the highest authority in the land, 'wife', tells me,)..

Feb 6, 1998
Well, all is not lost. Seems he threw the butyl sales your way, with the admonition of "all butyls are not created equally".
He's right that not all butyl tapes are the same. I have tested over 40 MANUFACTURERS not just brands. Just like not all silicones or polyurethane sealants are the same neither is the quality, consistency, durometer, stretch etc. of a butyl tape.

See, you've been hiding in anonymity, and obscurity too long. Writing rag articles has GOT to beat busting your knuckles working on the wretched things. (This is what the highest authority in the land, 'wife', tells me,)..
Not really hiding. I have had an "About" section on my web site for a few years. I also have a few thousand customers who know me and have my address etc...

I don't do the writing for the money and I actually enjoy working on boats a lot more than I did my 25 years of high level white collar work... ;) I prefer not to write for mags that don't want to publish "complete" articles. They prefer to publish short blurbs that lacks enough images to do any justice to a "how to"..

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Yep, I can dig it man. It wasn't a jab at you, by no means. I myself have no need for a job. And I work on boats every day. I would just about rather work on a boat than use it. Go figure..

Sep 12, 2012
Catalina 30 Wickford
Hi Maine Sail,
Thanks for your in depth instructions on bedding with Butyl tape. I am about to begin re-bedding some of my deck hardware, and I came across a question. One piece of deck hardware that seems to be leaking the most on my 1981 Catalina 30 is the starboard Genoa track. Here's my question: If I am correct in understanding your procedure, I would need to have all of the screws that hold down the track inserted through the track before they go into the deck. That means the whole piece would have to be put down as one, getting all of those screws into their respective holes at one time. How am I supposed to do that? Would it be sufficient to form the Butyl cone around the threads and insert the screws once the track is laid down?
Well I guess that's two questions, but who's counting? Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
John

Feb 6, 1998
Hi Maine Sail,
Thanks for your in depth instructions on bedding with Butyl tape. I am about to begin re-bedding some of my deck hardware, and I came across a question. One piece of deck hardware that seems to be leaking the most on my 1981 Catalina 30 is the starboard Genoa track. Here's my question: If I am correct in understanding your procedure, I would need to have all of the screws that hold down the track inserted through the track before they go into the deck. That means the whole piece would have to be put down as one, getting all of those screws into their respective holes at one time. How am I supposed to do that? Would it be sufficient to form the Butyl cone around the threads and insert the screws once the track is laid down?
Well I guess that's two questions, but who's counting? Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
John
If you want to use butyl this is at least a two person job and requires top and bottom cones plus strips of butyl between bolts. There are no short cuts with genny tracks/butyl and it does get dropped in as one unit.

*Bevel / countersink the deck holes slightly.

*Wrap the bolt heads then press each one into the cleaned track.

*Next wrap each bolt under the track and knead the butyl cone into the bolt threads.

*Now place butyl on the underside of the track between butyl cones on each bolt

*Drop the track, with bolts, into place and so the bolts are in each hole (cleaned
& prepped of course). This may require a third person if the track has lost pre-bend..

*Place a 3' long board over the track and walk back and forth, then move it up
the track and repeat. This compresses the butyl and also keeps the bolts from
popping up.

*Get a partner to hold the screws with a screw driver and you go below and
slowly tighten the nuts. (multiple events)

*Don't over tighten and do allow the butyl to "oooze out" it may take four or
five small tightening events . Be patient...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
MaineSail,
I am re-bedding my fuel fill after gouging out the deck core and filling with a thickened epoxy mixture to a larger diameter then the screw circle for the fill fitting. I noted in your original article you recommend not using butyl for fuel fills? I was planning to go in that direction before reading this. Is it just the issue of spills acting as a solvent on the butyl? I always fill by siphoning from a 5 gallon tank in order to not spill fuel in the water. It works well but is slow. Assuming no spills can I reconsider the butyl or would you recommend 4000 or one of the Sika products?

Also the fuel fill is held on by two stainless wood screws and one through screw used as a ground. I am thinking of drilling all the holes through and using through bolts with self locking nuts for a much more secure assembly and to see if any leaks develop since the holes will be through solid epoxy it will leak inside the locker. Thoughts?

By the way I found that the outside piece of a Teflon tape roll covered with saran wrap fit the fill fitting hole perfectly to hold all the epoxy in the groove while it cured, just a tip.

Feb 6, 1998
MaineSail,
I am re-bedding my fuel fill after gouging out the deck core and filling with a thickened epoxy mixture to a larger diameter then the screw circle for the fill fitting. I noted in your original article you recommend not using butyl for fuel fills? I was planning to go in that direction before reading this. Is it just the issue of spills acting as a solvent on the butyl? I always fill by siphoning from a 5 gallon tank in order to not spill fuel in the water. It works well but is slow. Assuming no spills can I reconsider the butyl or would you recommend 4000 or one of the Sika products?

Also the fuel fill is held on by two stainless wood screws and one through screw used as a ground. I am thinking of drilling all the holes through and using through bolts with self locking nuts for a much more secure assembly and to see if any leaks develop since the holes will be through solid epoxy it will leak inside the locker. Thoughts?

By the way I found that the outside piece of a Teflon tape roll covered with saran wrap fit the fill fitting hole perfectly to hold all the epoxy in the groove while it cured, just a tip.
Yes it is just about spills. FWIW Sabre used butyl back in the 70's & 80's on fuel fills and I had one out two weeks ago that had never leaked a drop... I still prefer to err on the side of caution. As long as you are comfortable with it then go for it. Heck even if it leaks it is far easier to rebed than with a curing marine sealant.. By all means definitely through bolt you will get better compression of the butyl...

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
How to bed non-penetrating screws with butyl tape?

I have used the butyl tape on all of my re-bedding projects the last two years, but I have my storm hood off (over the companionway hatch) currently, and need to re-bed the multiple screws that attach it. Since they don't penetrate the deck, I'm wondering if there is a way to use butyl tape in this application? My boat has a hull liner inside so putting in fasteners that pass through the deck is not my first choice.

Thanks,
Scott

Feb 26, 2004
I've bedded those the same way as MS shows in the tutorial: wrap the shat underneath the head and screw it in.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Butyl tape for storm hood?

I am re-mounting my storm hood, (O'day 34) which has a dozen or so screws that just screw into the cabintop. I have drilled out and potted all the holes with epoxy, and am wondering if I should put butyl tape under the entire perimeter that sits on the deck, or if I should just put butyl under the screw heads, since there is nowhere for the water to go if it does get under the storm hood flange? The are under the storm hood has large weep holes at both front corners, so it incidental water wicking under the flange would not be the end of the world. The original installation had a dab of sealant under the flange at each screw location.

The second component in this project is the teak rails that the hatch slides in - same question - should I put butyl tape under the entire rail, or just under the screw head, as I have also potted all the screw locations with epoxy?

Thanks,
Scott