Registered users don't see ads

Beckson Port Gasket @#$%%$#

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by njlarry, Aug 29, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,354 posts, 137 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    Trying without success to replace the leaking gasket on our 4x10 opening Beckon port. The tab that should go into the frame's groove will not go in and stay. Have tried mallets, screwdrivers and picks. With and without lube. Streched the material like the instructions say. Ready to get the dynamite.
    Any tips?

2. walmsleyc

walmsleyc

Joined Feb 2, 2006
    384 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter Legend 35
    CN Kingston
    I've got those ports, and while fiddly, it's not too hard to get mine in. But interestingly, I just spoke to a friend with similar ports, and he reported spending hours try to get replacement gaskets to fit and stay, without much luck.

You say "replace", is that with a brand new gasket? Does the new one look the same as the old one? Does the old one still fit? could there be small differences in size?

See this thread for similar issues: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/beckson-portlight-gaskets-leaking-72231.html

Chris

3. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,873 posts, 208 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Call Beckson..they will talk to you. Also instructions/tips on their website

Sefuller likes this.
  4. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    20,390 posts, 861 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    We have 5 x 12s. It takes a LOT of time. Be patient. You're a sailor.

5. bawlmer

bawlmer

Joined Sep 15, 2013
    485 posts, 83 likes
    Catalina 270
    270 Mystic US Baltimore
    I just replaced a gasket on the beckson port in my head. Also a 4 X 10. It took a really long time. You just have to keep screwing around with it until it is right. Make sure you don't stretch it too hard at the joint. It took me over an hour of massaging to get it in. My fingers were really sore by the time I was done.
    Dumb question. Are you sure they sent you the right size gasket? Getting it in was hard but not impossible.

6. bawlmer

bawlmer

Joined Sep 15, 2013
    485 posts, 83 likes
    Catalina 270
    270 Mystic US Baltimore
    Also you will have back the dogs out 2 full turns to get the window closed once you replace the gasket.

7. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,254 posts, 535 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    Are we talking about these?

[​IMG]

8. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,873 posts, 208 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
  9. walmsleyc

walmsleyc

Joined Feb 2, 2006
    384 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter Legend 35
    CN Kingston
    The diagram is interesting. I replaced my 6 opening ports with new ones. They came with screens, and no backup rings. I scratched my head for a sec until I ready the bit that says you only use one or the other (but not both).

10. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,293 posts, 533 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Watkins Glen
    Is it that the gasket slips out? Can you press it in by closing the port on it? Seems you could just dog the port and let it hold the gasket in place til it stays?

11. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,254 posts, 535 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    Odd. I know folks that remove the gaskets annually for cleaning. I pulled all of mine, cleaned them, and replaced them (9 of them, 20 years old) in less than 2 hours this spring. In fact, I would guess 98% of all leaks are cause by dirt that encourages wicking, not gasket failure. I suspect my gaskets have another 20 years in them.

My suggestion is to clean but not replace.

12. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,873 posts, 208 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Well, my gaskets are 37 yrs old. Yes, cleaning the gasket and..the mating lens surface helps. But, after 37 yrs, the gasket takes a set and you run out of dog threads before they seal...took me 2 hrs each of two gaskets. In fact over several days, as i gave up and popped a beer (or three). Two more to go but they dont currently leak. And....we have absolutely no reason to open them...

13. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,354 posts, 137 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    The finger,tab,rib will not insert into the groove, and it is the correct part. Dogging it down would just crush it.

agprice22 likes this.
  14. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,906 posts, 726 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    These simply take time and patience. I did six last summer on an Albin power boat. Took about 30 minutes each. This was after I removed and cleaned the old ones then re-installed them only to find they were still leaking. Boat was a 2001.

I found that by slightly stretching or pulling taught a 2" long section at a time, while at the same time thumb pressing it in, the ear would then go into the slot. You need to be sure you start with the gasket in the correct orientation though or you'll be doing it again.

I do not suggest any lube or the gaskets will likely come out. I had a customer use some type of Teflon zipper grease and then every time he would open the port the gasket would come out of the slot. It took new gaskets (no solvent I tried including DeBond would remove the grease) and cleaning the slot with a Q-Tip and solvents to get the next set of gaskets to stay in place. If you feel you must use a lube use some dish soap. I found it best to replace the lenses at the same time as the old ones can seem to take a slight set and will not always tighten properly, even with brand new gaskets in place.

15. rardiH36

rardiH36

Joined Jun 21, 2007
    2,084 posts, 50 likes
    Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82
    US San Francisco Bay's "Hurricane Glitch"
    A somewhat different and quicker approach if you find you need to do other ports in the future. I posted this once or twice a number of years ago. My Gray Enterprise ports are still leak free after a number of seasons. But also, in San Francisco with the mostly cool weather even during the summer, I don't need to open my ports very much. I am assuming this might also work for Beckson Ports?

===========================================================================

- Do not remove your existing gasket material from the gasket channel;
    - Extend the long thin blade of one of this style of box knives. (http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...mpaignId=T9A&gclid=CODEnu3Nv7sCFciIfgodQVoAJQ) Use it in a sawing motion to trim back the existing gasket flush with the outer edge of the gasket channel;
    - Use acetone or lacquer thinner on the trimmed existing gasket to clean and "reactivate" the surface so that the following type of gasket product will stick; (... Or any similar product - however needs to be smooth surface not light foam.)
    https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-63628-Weatherstrip/dp/B000FPDOTO
    - Carefully press the window gasket material up against your cleaned cut-back old gasket. Make sure that the two ends meet exactly together on the top. Then put a touch of super glue at the joint to keep them together. When applying the window gasket tape don't be stretching it at the same time which is the normal temptation.
    - Drop the hatch and dog down lightly. The self stick tape does become permanent.

This doesn't take long to do. Whereas digging out the old gasket and cleaning the channel before installing new material can be a lengthy process. Most likely will be a fix for quite a few years. And if not, you are not out much for the effort!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  16. JoeMerchant

JoeMerchant

Joined Feb 5, 2019
    7 posts, 3 likes
    Pearson 303
    US Jacksonville, FL
    I know, old thread, but I just spent an hour attempting to insert a new gasket in my leaking Beckson 414... you can see where the previous gasket installer "gave up" and didn't bother to properly seat the anchoring strip in the slot, just crushed the window on it in approximately the correct shape... maybe that worked well enough when the rubber was new, but it's a mess now, leaks very badly.

BTW, after an hour of trying, both dry and with a little soap, I got virtually nowhere. Re-read the instructions, the instructions online have a diagram that the page inserted with my gasket order didn't, showing a 45 degree bend labeled 90 degrees when inserting the gasket. They also mention pre-heating the gasket in the sun, which I didn't try tonight - will try that next time.

My wife also suggested that it might be a 4 hand job, worth a try.

17. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,873 posts, 208 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    You can also talk to “the guy” at Beckson. He also said you can position it and stretch a bit and lightly pound with a small wooden hammer. Took me about an hr each. They don’t leak and I have no reason to open them..

18. 31seahorse

31seahorse

Joined Aug 2, 2005
    922 posts, 184 likes
    Celebrity Class 19
    US Penn Yan, NY (Seneca Lake SP)
    Would soaking the gasket in hot water help the fitting process? That is recommended when replacing the insert for rub rails.

19. JoeMerchant

JoeMerchant

Joined Feb 5, 2019
    7 posts, 3 likes
    Pearson 303
    US Jacksonville, FL
    I found a set of Beckson instructions online that includes "leave the gasket in the sun to warm it up / soften it" - so I'm thinking that a hot water soak in the galley sink would be sort of the next level after sunbathing, as long as I can run my water heater without blowing the breaker... too many neighbors staying aboard on my outlet right now...

20. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,293 posts, 533 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Watkins Glen
    I think someone needs to design a tool for fitting these gaskets!

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates