Beaching a Mac

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Sumner posted about his trip to Flaming Gorge which I really enjoyed http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/13-days-on-flaming-gorge-reservoir-wyo-ut.182095/ Looks like a zebra mussel hassle - worth reading all of what you had to go through before going to save a lot of time.

I noticed that you are beaching your boat more now for various reason and didnt want to hijack your thread so created a new one. I have also been mostly beaching my 26S. One reason is that the lake Im on also has underwater "stuff" for anchors rode to catch on plus I often have my dogs with me. These old Macs also are really set up for beaching so why not.. Even if you get stuck from beaching, you can always blow some ballast, problem easilly solved.

Here is what I carry on the boat:
beach_tackle.JPG

If we are camping, I always bring the aft end of the boat near shore. I will drop the bow anchor "out a ways" then swing the boat around using the outboard. I will take a rope to shore and pound in either one or two stakes and secure the back end of the boat to the beach. Then snug the bow anchor line to hold the boat in place. I usually get the boat closer than in the picture below so that we can nearly walk off the aft end. Also makes getting the dogs on and off easy and if you have been sitting by a fire on the beach drinking wine that evening.. also makes getting back on the boat easier.

The other way I beach is always temporary and its to allow the dog a potty break. I just pull in bow first and hook up that one rung PVC ladder. This might be somewhat of a hassle for boat camping but its real fast and easy for the doggy break..

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We do similar as far as tossing a stern anchor "a ways out", running in to shore and tying up the bow to a stump or whatever is handy, then we can pull ourselves back out towards the anchor for a smooth night on the hook. nice to be able to also pull yourself to shore for a potty break or a short hike. I've tried backing in, but with very limited success. by the time I toss anchor, spin the boat around, raise the rudder and motor... I've lost any momentum towards the beach and sit there like an idiot in 10' of water staring at the shoreline. that and we have a full stern rail anyway, so forward actually ends up working better for us. I sure like the rope ladder idea however, and will be working on that later today ;) . If I could just figure out the mounting of a gang plank off the bow............... ;)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I find that single rung ladder just fine for myself and getting the dog on and off but Im not sure my wife would like it. I like it because its quick to attach (quick clips) and it stores easy and is very light weight (unlike the hammer and stakes.. oh well..) Stern anchor works well also and you can either make or purchase a folding bow ladder http://shop.sailboatowners.com/search.php?brand=sailboat&kw=ladder My anchor setup is on the bow so thats were its easier for me to drop it.

Where I do that beaching, the wind is often onshore and that does make the stern near the beach easier.. and of course there was that one time the anchor line got hung up on the centerboard as I was swinging around... provided some entertainment for everyone already on shore.

Last edited: