Be sure to check electrical system before towing

Dec 8, 2015
Macgregor 25 Aurora CO
I was prepping my Macgregor 25 for spring sailing and taking it to the reservoir when tragedy struck. A grill stowed in the aft locker managed to roll out of place and connect to a battery in the battery box that was uncovered and disconnected for winter. There was enough charge in the batter to heat the grill to point to start a fire. The entire boat from the time I noticed the smoke until the end result was 30 min to completely destroy the boat.

Attachments

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
It hurts to see that picture. I'm sorry. Thanks for the heads up.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
WOW! Sorry to see that.:( Gonna check things around my batteries first thing when I get to my boat, today.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Sorry to see your situation. Good news is that it didn't happen out on the water somewhere away from land!

EV21

Apr 29, 2016
Macgregor 21 Venture Delaware ...
So sorry to hear -- and see! That picture really drives it home. Thanks for posting as a caution for the rest of us.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
This is terrible, but a good cautionary tale. If a battery is in a box, it should be closed up to protect against shorting out.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Thanks for the visual and report. I will be double checking mine which I was sure it was safe until your post. Sorry for your loss.