Battery tie downs

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Are there any problems with using one strap to tie down two batteries next to each other? I’m installing 4 GC2 batteries in our Catalina 310 (replacing 2 8Ds). Putting a strap on each one will be a little tight, I think, but strapping them in groups of two would be easy.

Also, with a 6 V battery is the strap offset to keep access to the filling cap? I quickly looked for pictures, but Google failed me this morning.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
What's the strap attached to? What's the strap material? How's the strap anchored? How's it secured (adjustment)?
Are the batteries free to move? Picture would help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
DD9562B2-89F4-442E-A5C1-F98638483DFB.jpeg
@marchem Here is one idea.
You would need to screw down the base. Then strap the batteries.
I have also used wood strip across the top and locked down the sides. That may also work in confined space. That is what I am doing.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Here’s a picture of the space. Battery tray sitting on wood shelf. I was going to screw the tray to the shelf and seal the screws. I’ve got NRS straps and stainless tie downs, which would be screwed into the shelf on the outside and through the tray and into the shelf in the middle. No access to the bottom side of the shelf, so I can’t thru bolt things.

Previously there was a 2x4 across the top holding the 8Ds down. There was still enough movement that the old screws holding the tray stripped out.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
S
What hold the battery tray down? If you're depending on that keeping the batteries in-place, that's one thing.

Are you planning on a top? For wet cells, that's a consideration. For gels or AGMs, not really

If you are going simply shim them in-place, I'd remember that they do heat up and you should have some stand-off and ventilation. You'll need to eventually get them out, too.

Assuming the tray will stay in place, I'd have a cross pattern. It looks like the fastener, buckles (or whatever) might be on the vertical sides of the tray? That way you fingers won't be in acid or as worried about hitting a terminal -- and the cables will not interfere.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I didn't know that. Thanks Maine.
Now I'm gonna have to figure out what mine are made of.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about something like a tapped or insert thread through the pan sidewalls and a set screw with a pad. You tighten it against the side of your battery to lock it in place.

Don't know what space is accessible or how much room that pan provides to your battery, but I can picture a number of slick options, straps probably being the easiest. If you're worried about terminal and cap access, think about a way to lock the batteries in from the side.

Another, is to build up one side of the pan with an overhang to catch the top edge of the batteries and they could just snap into place.

If one strap over two batteries is desirable and ventilation is necessary, a simple spacer block will do that.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It all depends upon the chemistry and space you have. Batteries should always be installed as securely as possible with the least amount of allowable movement.

For flooded batteries you'll need acid containment in the event a case should crack or leak, and this does happen. One battery maker recently moved away from certain case color as the additives to make the color lead to poorer weld-ability and a case more prone to leaks at the weld.

Within the acid containment zone there should be no materials that can suffer acid attack such as screws that can be eaten away thus releasing the battery, and I have seen this countless times.

Ideally batteries such as AGM and GEL & flooded too, but especially recombination batteries, should have at least few mm's gap between them for air circulation.

Fasteners used to hold batteries down should ideally be through bolted unless the substrate is solid enough to hold screws and the batteries upside down.....

For strapping multiple batteries with one strap see below. Note how the strap dips down between batteries to yield a sturdy support for each battery without "pinching" them together. *These are AGM batteries using "mounting trays", flooded batteries would require acid containment & the "trays", really boxes, would need to be as tall as the battery... With these straps cinched down tight into the trays these batteries have less than 1mm of wiggle room....

These NRS straps are 1.5" wide polypropylene and nearly bomb proof especially compared to the cheesy battery straps with plastic buckles that ship with those black plastic battery boxes. If I had a dime for ever cracked or broken plastic buckle on battery box straps I've seen, I'd be retired on a beach right now sipping a Margarita... The machine screws are through bolted..

Nov 16, 2012
It all depends upon the chemistry and space you have. Batteries should always be installed as securely as possible with the least amount of allowable movement.

For flooded batteries you'll need acid containment in the event a case should crack or leak, and this does happen. One battery maker recently moved away from certain case color as the additives to make the color lead to poorer weld-ability and a case more prone to leaks at the weld.

Within the acid containment zone there should be no materials that can suffer acid attack such as screws that can be eaten away thus releasing the battery, and I have seen this countless times.

Ideally batteries such as AGM and GEL & flooded too, but especially recombination batteries, should have at least few mm's gap between them for air circulation.

Fasteners used to hold batteries down should ideally be through bolted unless the substrate is solid enough to hold screws and the batteries upside down.....

For strapping multiple batteries with one strap see below. Note how the strap dips down between batteries to yield a sturdy support for each battery without "pinching" them together. *These are AGM batteries using "mounting trays", flooded batteries would require acid containment & the "trays", really boxes, would need to be as tall as the battery... With these straps cinched down tight into the trays these batteries have less than 1mm of wiggle room....

These NRS straps are 1.5" wide polypropylene and nearly bomb proof especially compared to the cheesy battery straps with plastic buckles that ship with those black plastic battery boxes. If I had a dime for ever cracked or broken plastic buckle on battery box straps I've seen, I'd be retired on a beach right now sipping a Margarita... The machine screws are through bolted..
Maine Sail, this is a Catalina 310, which you're familiar with. 4 GC2 flooded batteries and I've got NRS straps. I don't see an easy way to secure the existing battery tray properly, so maybe it would be better to get 4 GC2 boxes and use them instead for acid containment?

Then I'd screw the strap holders into the shelf (it's either 3/4 or 1" thick, but I can’t get to the backside to thru bolt). Not ideal, but maybe the best I can do?

Last edited:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I'm just starting this exercise now, on my 310. Do you have any pictures of the final installation? Every little bit helps.

cheers
dj

Nov 16, 2012
I'm just starting this exercise now, on my 310. Do you have any pictures of the final installation? Every little bit helps.

cheers
dj
Ended up going with GC2 battery boxes (Batteries and Bulbs had them locally) and NRS straps. Screwed the strap holders into the shelf. The boxes are a little distorted, but they don't move at all. Later I added a watering system, because it's real hard to get to them otherwise. I put the starter battery (G24 size) under the port settee, in it's own box.

IMG_1080.JPGIMG_1085.JPG

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Ended up going with GC2 battery boxes (Batteries and Bulbs had them locally) and NRS straps. Screwed the strap holders into the shelf. The boxes are a little distorted, but they don't move at all. Later I added a watering system, because it's real hard to get to them otherwise. I put the starter battery (G24 size) under the port settee, in it's own box.
I'd make sure there is a vent in the settee space so that it can vent.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
When I removed the pair of 4D batteries, they were not in a battery box. I think the tray that is under the batteries is intended to be the containment area. Can anyone verify this? The tray is shown in post #5.

dj

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Are they flooded leas acid batteries, DJ. If so, you really should have traditional boxes that have deeper containers with suffice to volume to contain the acid.

Nov 16, 2012
When I removed the pair of 4D batteries, they were not in a battery box. I think the tray that is under the batteries is intended to be the containment area. Can anyone verify this? The tray is shown in post #5.

dj
That was the tray the batteries were sitting in. The holes in the bottom, not to mention the small volume, made it less than effective for containment. That’s why I used battery boxes for the new batteries.