Battery tie down

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Those of you who have done battery upgrades on your C310: how did you manage battery tie downs? I'm installing 4 GC2s under the settee, replacing two 4Ds. There's a piece of 3/4" (?) plywood making a flat surface there and the 4Ds were sitting in a tray that had been screwed into it. The screws all had corroded away (no surprise) leaving 4 holes in the bottom of the tray, making it less than sealed. A 2x4 and 2x2 were jammed between the batteries and the top edge of the seat to hold them in place.

I'm tempted to use 4 GC2 battery boxes, and strap them down to the plywood (using proper straps). Ideally I would thru bolt the brackets for them, but there's no easy access under the plywood; so they'll have to be screwed in, I guess.

I've got a posting on Maine Sail's forum here (https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/battery-tie-downs.189837/) asking about this, but I wanted to see what fellow C310 owners have done.

IMG_1069 (Edited).JPG

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I'm informed my batteries are oriented incorrectly (they should be rotated 90 degrees). However the 2x4s inboard and outboard of the batteries hold them tight. Even if the boat went upside down, they could not slide out.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
I'm informed my batteries are oriented incorrectly (they should be rotated 90 degrees). However the 2x4s inboard and outboard of the batteries hold them tight. Even if the boat went upside down, they could not slide out.
Are they in a tray for containment?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
KZW, I think ventilation between the batteries is the concern, so yeah, if space allows, turn them

KZW

May 17, 2014
Are they in a tray for containment?
No, and neither were the two 4Ds they replaced. I couldn't find boxes that fit the batteries within the available space.

KZW

May 17, 2014
KZW, I think ventilation between the batteries is the concern, so yeah, if space allows, turn them
Ventilation? i.e. space between the batteries? Why? Heat dissipation?
I have a 20 Amp computer charger, constantly plugged in at the dock (to run the reefer and A/C) and heat has never been an issue, not even in the rather warm FL summer. Underway, the biggest draw is the reefer and the batteries don't get warmer than the ambient air.

Oct 16, 2014
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Ok here is my 2 cents on this battery clamp down issue. I know they have to be clamped and the terminals covered but using Golf cart batteries was a pain. Our Catalina 34 has two built in battery boxes and two 6 volt batteries will fit with a piece of Teak to take up the slack at one end. Battery boxes available anywhere with the traditional cover and hold down, are a pain as none of the holes matched the wires and to check them was just tiresome. So here is what I did (right or wrong but it works). The batteries are in the the bottom half of a black box storage box and this is placed in the existing factory well. This box is not screwed down but it goes nowhere as they are wedged tight using teak on the ends to take up the slack. I made 4 Aluminum brackets about three inches long out of angle metal from home depot. Using stainless will be better but they don't stock it :) These are brackets are screwed to the floor of the battery area with stainless screws (nice hefty ones with good bite.) Of course the brackets have a holes for the screws and the bracket rod. Finding clamps that will go over the golf cart deep cycle batteries with enough gap to clear the battery caps was problematic but I stumbled on these: Uriah UV002500 Adjustable clamps...cost 28 a pair from Ebay. The key to the whole installation (as they are used side to side rather then length ways) is to off set the clamp about 1/2 inch and this allows the center battery cap to removed for refilling etc. Angle the cap a bit to get it out and then the clamp can go even closer to the center and you off set the aluminum bracket at the bottom a bit also. Lastly all the terminals were covered with colored protectors on the cable ends. What we ended up with is immovable batteries that are clamped tight and meet USCG standards. The big thing is it is dead easy to check the water levels. Our starting battery is a 12 volt marine battery in the forward saloon seating area. Why don't they make rectangle top mounting brackets with the clamping rods on the end for golf cart batteries just like for regular batteries??

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
OK, mine are oriented the wrong way, but they fit and I don't spend all that much time heeled over which is the concern (e.g. if you are heeled over the plates could be exposed). They came that way from the factory and that is my story and I am sticking with it. When I swapped out the 4Ds the GC2s were about 1" higher so I could not use the 2x4 but they were also slightly wider so they did fit under the lip of the seat so they were not coming up. So I made up a new bracket to hold the batteries tight in their place that used the existing holes.
310 GC2s.jpg 310 Battery Bracket.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
OK, mine are oriented the wrong way, but they fit and I don't spend all that much time heeled over which is the concern (e.g. if you are heeled over the plates could be exposed). They came that way from the factory and that is my story and I am sticking with it. When I swapped out the 4Ds the GC2s were about 1" higher so I could not use the 2x4 but they were also slightly wider so they did fit under the lip of the seat so they were not coming up. So I made up a new bracket to hold the batteries tight in their place that used the existing holes.
View attachment 146519 View attachment 146520
I remember that your compartment is cut out wider than mine. I was able to fit the 4 GC2s inside battery boxes with straps holding them down. Not beautiful, but I think it’s functional. Still trying to decide if I should install covers on the posts.
4BDCD021-0961-408B-9349-EF569AC54D51.jpeg