Battery installation - Any suggestions

May 21, 2017
Catalina Capri 16.5 Phoenix, AZ
I'm a brand new owner of a 2001 C16.5. Can't wait to get it in the water. I'm interested in any advice from experience of mounting a battery in the bow storage area. I'm thinking of using a plywood square cut to size, fiberglass directly to the boat (somehow?) and mount battery to it.

Has anybody done this? How difficult was running the wiring back to the motor location at the transom? I've purchased a recepticle plug and 10 gauge wire. Any lessons learned on the battery mount?

thanks
El Jeffe

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum. El Jeffe...
Why the battery? Boat is 16 feet long daysailer. No cabin.
Fun boat.
You want to keep the boat light and should you flip it (I have had the experience) you do not want a battery upside down in the water.
Help me out... What are your thoughts and plans, that might need a battery?

May 21, 2017
Catalina Capri 16.5 Phoenix, AZ
Thanks John,

Electric trolling motor. Getting in off the boat ramp, up to a dock, light wind days...

The battery I have is sealed - Optima AGM - is sealed - no leaks. I will have it mounted. It's not moving. It weighes about 50 lbs.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok. I googled pictures and there are few owners with light weight 2.5 four stoke Hondas,

In all my sailing on 14 and 16 foot boats to include Capri's we just sailed off from the dock and sailed back to the dock. Never had the need for a motor. Both together is like carrying extra crew. In light breeze we even sailed them backwards holding the sail out against the wind. Never an issue. When there was no wind we went swimming instead.
I guess I would be inclined to put the battery under the tiller, rather than in the bow. Forward weight is the only thing that can make those boats unstable. You want to flip the boat, stand on the bow, grab the forestay and lean out. She will roll over like a dog.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If you put the battery low in the boat and just forward of the mast (in the forward cubby area but as far back as possible), I think you will like what the extra weight does. Since you now have large diameter wires running a good portion of the boat length, it is really a good idea to fuse. But. you may have a problem with the 10 gauge wire.

If that is around a 30 pound thrust 12 volt motor, I believe the peak currents will be in the 25 to 30 amp range. You REALLY want to fuse a large wire run like that running inside the boat (large wires are good at starting fires). If you look at a chart for wire gauge vs current like this http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts, 10 gauge wire is only rated up to about 30 amps. So in order to protect the wire, the fuse you need to use would be 30 amps or less.

But that is also right about where that trolling motor could have peak currents. So the largest fuse you should use is really a little too small for that load. Six gauge would be a better choice as you can use up to a 55 amp fuse and that should not false blow when using the motor but should protect the wire in a short. Four gauge might even be even a better choice.

Why have a trolling motor on a small boat like that? I once saw a small sailboat with no motor hold up a launch ramp for about 20 minutes because they were having all sorts of trouble sailing off the dock (on shore winds). This held up a bunch of other boaters from using the launch ramp.. I dont think the sailboat that held everyone else up did much to help the respect issue between sailboats and motorboats.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2015
O´Day DSII 17 Corpus Christi
El Jeffe, can you describe how you connected battery, the wiring, the motor mount and type of mount and how you intalled it? Pictures would be great. I just ordered a Minn Kota 55# thrust 36" shaft after an outing where winds increased to 15-25 mph gusts, shallow narrow cut making it difficult to tack. Had to do the shameful walk.... so, the idea of the motor came about. I had initially planned on installing oars, but my husband liked the motor idea better.

Jun 3, 2015
O´Day DSII 17 Corpus Christi
Can you please describe your motor installation details? I placed my Minn Kota #55 trust motor on the transom, no bracket yet, but it kept the rudder from turning freely and they both kept bumping/obstructing each other. Any measurements and or additional pictures are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I can only imagine as I use to install batteries on the 16.5 as a dealer for Catalina. Please post photos of the outside to show placement of the battery. Good location of the inlet vs. transom which can get wet back therer.