Battery Hold-Down Material

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hey RC<

My new boat has what appears to be soft wood hold downs for the batteries, made post-factory, and looking pretty flimsy. I recall reading that wood is no good for this purpose, as the acid fumes soften it. I also recall seeing, in a friend's Nonsuch, what appeared to be a laminated material made from fiberglass and resin, for battery hold downs.

What material should be used, and where can I get it?

Thanks,

jv

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
McMaster has polypro battery boxes and glass filled polypro hold downs. The metal L-bolts and wing nuts are galvanized steel and won't last forever but you could replace them with stainless a few years down the road.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks, but I'm not looking for boxes, I'm looking for a material to fabricate hold-downs, like an acid-resistant lumber product.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have had wood strips on floor keeping batteries from moving around since 2008 and don't see any problems.
Nick

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have had wood strips on floor keeping batteries from moving around since 2008 and don't see any problems.
Nick
Ditto. The batteries are in boxes and they sit on a wood deck with wooden strips to keep them in place.
I've never heard of fumes softening wood. The possible leakage is caught in the box. Boat is a '91 Hunter and no evidence of softening wood.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks, guys, yes, I know it works for many folks, but I'm seeking the fiberglass-like stuff.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well you asked what material should be used and "survey says" wood is fine. You might find what you are looking for at one of the big box lumber stores.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Funny, my surveyor said wood is not fine! I wasn't taking a poll, a survey, about what to use, I'm seeking a particular material.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Most of the time I use NRS 1.5" Polypropylene hold down straps. Far better than those cheap battery straps and they can be cinched quite tightly. I use SS pad eyes that are through bolted for the straps...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So your surveyor disagrees with boat manufacturers? If wood isn't acceptable, check this article out. Something called "GPO" might be what you are looking for.
https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/battery-bank-upgrade
Uh, yes, he does! He, and I, have seen many, many things that boat manufacturers do that are not onyl not acceptable, but contrary to ABYC recommendations.
Thanks for the link/reference. I guess GPO is what I seek.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
MS, that's not a wooden shelf your batteries are resting on is it? ;)
Is it possible to ask a simple question around here and not be harassed and trolled about it? Holy cow. If you're happy with soft wood hold-downs for your batteries, then good for you! If you think what Hunter does on boats is the gold standard of boatbuilding materials and practice, even better!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Uh, yes, he does! He, and I, have seen many, many things that boat manufacturers do that are not onyl not acceptable, but contrary to ABYC recommendations.
Thanks for the link/reference. I guess GPO is what I seek.
I'm glad you said ABYC recommendations. Let us know how the stuff works. We should always be looking and learning.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
MS, that's not a wooden shelf your batteries are resting on is it? ;)
Absolutely because those are TPPL AGM batteries which do not need acid containment like a flooded battery does.. This is one of the nice benefits of a "non-spillable" class AGM battery especially when dealing with tight spaces.

Oh and that teeny tiny TPPL AGM cranking battery will start the 38HP Westerbeke about 45 times before it needs a charge....;)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is it possible to ask a simple question around here and not be harassed and trolled about it? Holy cow. If you're happy with soft wood hold-downs for your batteries, then good for you! If you think what Hunter does on boats is the gold standard of boatbuilding materials and practice, even better!
Sorry jviss. Not trying to harass you, just answering your question "What material should be used, and where can I get it?". Hunter isn't the gold standard but MainSail is highly respected here and he appears to use wood. Wood is very common and appears to work. Could your batteries be boiling over ?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Absolutely because those are TPPL AGM batteries which do not need acid containment like a flooded battery does.. One of the nice benefits of AGM's when dealing with tight spaces. Oh and that teeny tiny TPPL AGM cranking battery will start the 38HP Westerbeke about 45 times before it needs a charge....;)
Thanks MS. They key here is containment. Acid batteries should be in poly boxes.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You misinterpret what I have asked for. I'm not looking for a material to rest the batteries upon, I'm looking for a material, instead of the current soft wood, from which to fabricate battery hold-down brackets.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
jvis, do you have pics of what you are trying to replace? Hold downs across the tops of the batteries or stops around the perimeter?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You misinterpret what I have asked for. I'm not looking for a material to rest the batteries upon, I'm looking for a material, instead of the current soft wood, from which to fabricate battery hold-down brackets.
I posted at same time. So maybe that "GPO" article isn't what you are looking for.