Battery De-Mister "Better than Sliced Bread or Snakeoil?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this battery additive called Thermoil (http://thermoil.com/) One simply adds about 4 oz of thermoil to each battery cell. From what I can gleam it is supposed to extend the life of a battery, reduce water evaporation, toxic fumes and a whole lot of other good stuff. It isn't cheap but if the benefits as advertised are accurate then it would be well worth the investment. The local US Battery dealer is very bullish on this product and claims will not have adverse affect on the batteries warranty.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this battery additive called Thermoil (http://thermoil.com/) One simply adds about 4 oz of thermoil to each battery cell. From what I can gleam it is supposed to extend the life of a battery, reduce water evaporation, toxic fumes and a whole lot of other good stuff. It isn't cheap but if the benefits as advertised are accurate then it would be well worth the investment. The local US Battery dealer is very bullish on this product and claims will not have adverse affect on the batteries warranty.
I can tell you for certain that it voids the warranty on any Deka/East Penn made battery. Considering the vast number of private labeled East Penn batteries sold into the marine market that probably adds up to 25-35% of the market this product would void warranty on including all the West Marine batteries... That is what one of the largest battery manufacturers in the US thinks about it...

Beyond that Fred Wehmeyer VP of Engineering at US Battery has physically tested the product long term in their batteries. They too will void warranty if that product is found to be in them. Fred said the guys from Thermoil have been there numerous times and the answer is still the same, no...

According to Fred the oil eventually breaks down into acetic acid, any organic compound added to the battery eventually will, and it attacks the positive plates. The oil can also attack the separators of some of their batteries.

I would suggest you have your US Battery dealer contact Fred to discuss "warranties" when he sells Thermoil to his customers...

Smells like snake oil, sounds like snake oil....must be snake oil......;)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I've Got to Order Some ..........................

..................... because if it can do all that, surely it can cure my sciatica as well.

Just the appearance of the web page leads me to believe it's 100% pure, extra virgin snake oil. Actually, I think snake oil in you battery would produce the same or better results.

This stuff is actually such a joke it's a laugh just to pick through it. I've circled a couple of "questionable claims".

1. Keeps you batteries working up to 400 deg. F. Unfortunately, the electrolyte (35% sulphuric acid) boils at 230 deg. F. and the polypropylene casing melts at 318 deg. F. Not good :eek:.
  2. Greatly reduces water consumption, explosion, and toxic fumes. And the hydrogen gas goes where ? This "THERMOIL" oil floats on the top of the electrolyte and encases this hydrogen bubble until ................... :confused:??
  3. They also peddle a DE-SULFATER. This just keeps getting better.
  4. MINERAL OIL vs THERMOIL. I don't think I'd want either in my battery with a good heel and possibly exposing one or more plates to oil . I think that oiling one's battery plates is right up there with greasing the muffler bearings.
Pure Anaconda brand snake oil.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
..................... because if it can do all that, surely it can cure my sciatica as well.

Just the appearance of the web page leads me to believe it's 100% pure, extra virgin snake oil. Actually, I think snake oil in you battery would produce the same or better results.

This stuff is actually such a joke it's a laugh just to pick through it. I've circled a couple of "questionable claims".

1. Keeps you batteries working up to 400 deg. F. Unfortunately, the electrolyte (35% sulphuric acid) boils at 230 deg. F. and the polypropylene casing melts at 318 deg. F. Not good :eek:.
  2. Greatly reduces water consumption, explosion, and toxic fumes. And the hydrogen gas goes where ? This "THERMOIL" oil floats on the top of the electrolyte and encases this hydrogen bubble until ................... :confused:??
  3. They also peddle a DE-SULFATER. This just keeps getting better.
  4. MINERAL OIL vs THERMOIL. I don't think I'd want either in my battery with a good heel and possibly exposing one or more plates to oil . I think that oiling one's battery plates is right up there with greasing the muffler bearings.
Pure Anaconda brand snake oil.
and not only all of the above :D it tastes funny too :eek:...(couldnt resist)....

regards

woody

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Actually .................................

...................... the taste was the only legitimate thing about it. And even at that, it was awful.

Attachments

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
No to Thermoil

I can tell you for certain that it voids the warranty on any Deka/East Penn made battery. Considering the vast number of private labeled East Penn batteries sold into the marine market that probably adds up to 25-35% of the market this product would void warranty on including all the West Marine batteries... That is what one of the largest battery manufacturers in the US thinks about it...

Beyond that Fred Wehmeyer VP of Engineering at US Battery has physically tested the product long term in their batteries. They too will void warranty if that product is found to be in them. Fred said the guys from Thermoil have been there numerous times and the answer is still the same, no...

According to Fred the oil eventually breaks down into acetic acid, any organic compound added to the battery eventually will, and it attacks the positive plates. The oil can also attack the separators of some of their batteries.

I would suggest you have your US Battery dealer contact Fred to discuss "warranties" when he sells Thermoil to his customers...

Smells like snake oil, sounds like snake oil....must be snake oil......;)
Maine,

Thank you for this valuable information. I will heed your advice and pass it along to the local US Battery dealer. As always I value your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.