Battery charger

May 25, 2012
Hunter 33 Bay Shore
I have a 2005 Hunter 33. I just bought a West Marine Jump Starter 12 volt DC 700 amp charger.
Is this going to be too strong for my batteries and electrical system?? Is this more for a strong power boat oppose to my sailboat? Thank you Mike J

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Looks to be something one might use on a dead car battery, not as a battery maintenance charging device.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I believe what you may have purchased is a "Jump Starter" and not a charger. It can provide 700 cranking amps to start a large engine or a small one as the need may be. Don't worry if your auxiliary diesel does not require all those cranking amps; it will just draw what it needs. Its a handy item to have for emergencies and it will jump start your diesel as well as the family car since it is portable.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
A diesel's compression often requires more umphff because ignition of the fuel isn't by spark. In cold weather, when batteries are challenged and engine blocks are cold too, you'll appreciate the extra amps.

Many years ago in Minnesota, I learned that when I had a diesel car and no garage. If it was 20 below, don't leave the car without a block heater or even with a jump, it wouldnt start if left out overnight. With a block heater, it was like Summer starts ;^))))

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
West Marine Jump Starter 12 volt DC 700 amp charger
I have one and it is GREAT.:plus::plus:

Yes it is a CHARGER!
You hook up the DC clamps and plug in the AC power for the Charger mode.

It is a portable DC plug for things like Dingy inflator etc.
No need to install another Car Cigarette type outlet on your boat.

Plus it has a USB charger too.

I have used it a few times when the shore power went off and my house batts were shut down by low voltage.

It will crank my 50 HP Volvo Penta.

I lend it out more than I have used it.:clap:
Jim...

PS: I consider it a Safety device on my boat.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Correction, it is indeed a charger but only by virtue of having the means to charge the internal battery. That charger can indeed be used to charge a weaker second battery but it is not an efficient process and I wonder if it would have the capacity to bring that second battery up to full charge.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I wonder if it would have the capacity to bring that second battery up to full charge.
Actually it is a regulated charger by the virtue it gives a pure DC charge when AC is hooked up. With the AC connected you have Green LED light to tells you charge state, but not sure if it is a "Smart" Charger.

As to capacity...
It is has a small Lead Acid battery capable of being hand carried.
So...
I don't plan on a Battery to Battery Transfer for charging, but I used it to bring a ≈ 200 Ahr house battery to a Voltage state that my boat's Inverter/Smart Charger took over. I suppose the engine's alternator would do the same once running again.
Jim...

PS: I am not sure how to rate efficiency on an emergency device.

May 25, 2012
Hunter 33 Bay Shore
Hi everyone,
Thank you for your responses to my inquiry. Benny17441 your response on 12/09/17 is absolutely correct. I just got back from a local West Marine and the gentleman there told me exactly what you said. Although it can jump a car, the battery will only pull what it needs. It isn't too powerful for my boat. Again, Thank you all for your responses. Have a Happy and Healthy holiday season ! Mike J