Battery Charger question...

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Mine are installed just similar to the picture shown. They are held down by 2x4s which are under the seat panel, out of view. All my seats and supporting panels are wood!

Attachments

Aug 23, 2014
Catalina 310 Guntersville, Alabama
I do plan to strap them down. I do not have a tray beneath them but that is a good idea.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Mine are installed just similar to the picture shown. They are held down by 2x4s which are under the seat panel, out of view. All my seats and supporting panels are wood!
Ours also has a 2x4 that holds the batteries down. It is interesting that Neal has wood where you and I have fiberglass. The little bit of upholstery at the right edge of the seat is also interesting. I wonder if that was done at the factory, or a PO made the change. Maybe it provided a larger access hole to the batteries?

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Has anyone mounted their charger under the sink?
I've been chatting with an ABYC certified guy and he thinks it's a good location: dry area, good ventilation, and a much shorter run to the batteries.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Has anyone mounted their charger under the sink?
I've been chatting with an ABYC certified guy and he thinks it's a good location: dry area, good ventilation, and a much shorter run to the batteries.
Considering the number of faucet and sink flange leaks I have seen over the years I would choose the location very carefully or at the very least fabricate a drip shield..

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Hey - Turns out someone has already mounted a charger under the sink (not me). The current locker location is more likely to be wet than under the sink...Drip shield...good idea Mr. Maine Sail. Pronautic states the charger be mounted in a dry location and the locker is not always dry (and it rains alot around here!). Under sink location is cool and dry with lots of space around it. Good access to cables and wires. Much shorter run to the batteries. Easy to see what's going on. Close to the nav area where I want to put the remote monitor so cable length not an issue. Plus there is way less chance of it being hit by items, as opposed to all the junk I throw into the locker now. They also state that there should be ample ventilation and at least 6" space around and in front of the charger.
I think my new Pronautic is going to be under the sink....comments anyone??

Anyway, we found this pic that someone else has completed.

Attachments

Last edited:

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I have a pump in that location for the shower/frig. What about the humming sound the charger makes would it keep you awake or be irrating while sitting in the cabin?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have a pump in that location for the shower/frig. What about the humming sound the charger makes would it keep you awake or be irrating while sitting in the cabin?
Interesting. My shower / frig pump is under the sink in the head. I'm constantly amazed by the differences in this production boat that had a short run.

Aug 23, 2014
Catalina 310 Guntersville, Alabama
The noise made by the promariner I installed is not an issue for me sleeping. Just a quiet fan to put me to sleep. I installed in the aft berth on the wall behind the head. Short run to the batteries. Easy to read and monitor.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Just an observation: I've noticed that all charger specs that I've looked at specify the output in DC amps. I believe this is the total output capacity. So if you have a 60 amp charger with 3 outputs, it can supply 3 batteries with 20A each, 2 with 30A or 1 with 60A (of course this is assuming all are in an equal state of discharge and all other things being equal!). What say you all???

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Thanks for that link Stu...I read that awhile ago but forgot about it. To quote Maine Sail:
"The output (of the Sterling Procharge Ultra) is distributed by demand not divided equally as some chargers are. So if a start battery was at 99% state of charge and your house bank was at 60% state of charge the house bank would likely be seeing the vast majority of the charging current 18-19A or so and the starter would be seeing 1-2A or less."

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
I’ve happened upon this thread as I look to replace the in-line fuse holders between my Promariner 20-3 onboard charger and my two batteries, (original equipment on Nola K/ C310 hull 18).
Batteries were not charged upon arrival this morning and while trouble shooting I found the plastic threads of the inline fuse holder have broken off on one of the units. This failure prevents closing the circuit to chargeDD0695D8-4BF6-40C9-94F8-83F62A15D48B.jpegC12E1B6B-76BA-4F25-AB9A-575A7C91FA80.jpeg the battery.
Catalina Direct doesn’t appear to have the part; can anyone suggest an alternative supplier?
Thanks,
Todd L.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’ve happened upon this thread as I look to replace the in-line fuse holders between my Promariner 20-3 onboard charger and my two batteries, (original equipment on Nola K/ C310 hull 18).
Batteries were not charged upon arrival this morning and while trouble shooting I found the plastic threads of the inline fuse holder have broken off on one of the units. This failure prevents closing the circuit to chargeView attachment 213745View attachment 213746 the battery.
Catalina Direct doesn’t appear to have the part; can anyone suggest an alternative supplier?
Thanks,
Todd L.
What’s the fuse size? If it’s 20A or less you can use this one right from here - Sierra Inline Plastic Fuse Holder

They have some others too but they show as out of stock.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
Thanks Davidasailor26 for that suggestion.
The fuse is a Fusetron / Dual Element Fuse / FNM-40 from Cooper Industries, St Louis, MO.
I'm back at my laptop now so I'll be checking to see if they carry the in-line fuse holders also this evening.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I am the owner of this boat now from the previous owner who did this upgrade. The blue sea fuse above is what was replaced in this upgrade.