Battery and gas tank placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

I am in the middle of upgrading my 73’ Catalina 22’ and would like to know if anyone has relocated the battery or batteries to another location on the boat? Also, has anyone relocated the gas tank to another location? The area that the gas tank sits in (aft port storage locker) is connected to the cabin, and any spillage sends fumes into the cabin. I have a cowl over the area of the gas tank, but would like to know if there is a better place or way to deal with it. The battery is in the aft starboard locker and I would like to move it…say near the keel, in the forward dinette storage area, and maybe a second battery across the isle in the starboard storage area. Possibly helping with the ballast? Has anyone ever moved the gas or battery to a better, safer place? Thanks for the response Rick 73’ Catalina 22’ #2113

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Questions

Rick I assume that you are aware of the C22 Association website. Your questions have been asked and answered there for the past 30 years. Give it a try. Stu

R

Rick

Thanks but….

I am familiar with that web site, but I think that there are more responses and sailors at this site. I have already checked the archives and found no answers to the questions I have. There are always more new people reading this forum, so I thought there may be some new answers or solutions to an old problem. I’m not as Stu-pid as you think, professor.

R

Rick

Battery and gas tank

In the interest of being a little more constructive... My '77 has the battery mounted below the winch, on the port side. My boat came that way, so I don't know whether it was a modification. Works fine. As for the gas storage issue... I have mine in the same place. Some will tell you never to store the tank anywhere but on deck, precisely because of the fumes issue. These are not only noxious, but dangerous. What I would prefer to do is isolate the area just below the port settee so that fumes can't migrate into the cabin. Someone on one of these threads said they had done just that with an old cooler. Seems reasonable to me. Have fun with your boat!

T

Tom

Gas tank storage

Rick, Moronic responses like the first post have no place in these discussions, but I guess some people lose sight of the meaning of the word "forum". Anyway, I have a '79 Catalina 22 and currently my gas tank sits aft in the cockpit in the "deadspace" right underneath the tiller (no legroom). Currently I can't store the tank in the fuel locker because there are no cowl vents on my boat. I will be installing a cowl vent shortly, though, and storing the tank in fuel locker with a simple barrier between the tank and the cabin (probably some 3/8" plywood cut to shape). Hopefully this will keep most of the fumes out of the cabin. If you find any better ways to store the tank keep me posted! --Tom

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Fuel and Batteries #2

Rick, Tom and Rick, I apologize if my initial response seemed to be unhelpful. After reading all the responses to the Anchor Scope postings now going on about inconsiderate "Neighbors", I understand how you could feel. Having owned a C22 with the same issues from 1983 to 1987, I understand the question, and know that it is not a new one. Perhaps you're right about the "forum" concept of this website, and, again, I apologize for not clarifying that there are simply other sources, resources, and, not to mention, the archive portion of this website. I guess it sure is easier to raise the questions, even if they are repeats, which is GOOD. Thanks for correcting me, and I'll be more tactful and helpful in the future. Thanks, Stu PS Rick, in a more specific answer to your first question: 1. Gas: We lived with it, and, as all C22 owners recognize, it's a problem, and you're right to have identified it. One time the danged fuel hose to the engine came off the inside the boat and siphoned all the fuel from the six gallon tank into you know where. We sure wished they'd built an outside locker for the gas tank (like they did on the C25 after 1981), or just kept the tank outside. Was a nasty cleanup job. Since you've figured out the problem, unless I'm mistaken, there just ain't room to do much else than has been suggested. No miracle cures that I've heard of, unless you're into big fiberglass work. 2. Batteries - we only had one, and I can't even remember where we kept it. We rarely used it, since we'd anchor at night with a battery charged or kersone lamp in the cockpit (never needed running lights, although if necessary the battery would do that: our first year we sailed SF Bay at night and the lights all worked; later we moved up to Clear Lake, sailed in the day, and always anchored out at night). We recharged it, probably less than we should have, with a small auto charger. We also ended up closing up the boat when were on board and at anchor when it got dark - kinda like camping, but without the dust and the bugs - and rarely needed inside lights - sleep at dark up and sunup, sail all day - not a bad excuse to minimize electrical requirements. We used a 9 volt big table lamp for interior lighting, and tied a small radio-cassette boom box to the port side table clamp with a short line and clip pin, and sailed all day. Lots of EveryReady and DuraCell batteries on board. It wasn't until we got our C25 and then this boat that we learned more about electrical systems, but it sure worked for us on our C22. Good luck, and fair winds. PPS from C22 archives search under "gas tanks" :http://archive.sailboatowners.com/archive/archresults.tpl?ssite=CO&fno=20&start=1&keyword=gas+tank&model=22&forum=none&pr=p%2Cr&_ptitle=ptitle+rtitle&_psamp=psamp&andor=ws&srt=pdate from C22 archives search under "batteries" http://archive.sailboatowners.com/archive/archresults.tpl?ssite=CO&fno=20&start=1&keyword=batteries&model=22&forum=none&pr=p%2Cr&_ptitle=ptitle+rtitle&_psamp=psamp&andor=wo&srt=pdate

D

DesetBoatman

Permanate

I would like to install a permante gas tank under the cockpit floor, aft of the keel winch. When I redo my electrical system I will install the battery under the v-berth. D.B.

R

Rick

Batt N Gas

For now I am going to leave the battery under the forward port dinette seat. It fits there nicely and it is close to the keel centerline. As far as the gas is concerned, something must be done to isolate the area from the cabin. Perhaps switching the tank to the starboard aft locker. It is a smaller space to seal off, and with that little red tank out, the port aft locker becomes the port aft cabin of the Catalina 22. There is a lot of room back there! Thanks again for all the responses, I will have some pictures of the undertaking of the upgrading on my site soon. 73’ Catalina 22’ #2113 Rick PS Stu, Your responses are looked forward to as much as anyone else’s. Don’t shortchange ye mates.

D

Dan

Just forward of the keel cable

under the step into the cabin is where my battery is on my '73 (#2167). Weight is in the middle, and it's easy to get to. I keep my gas can in the starboard lazerette. The port one is better for storing sails and pfds, etc.

R

Rick

On second thought....

Ok, I think I figured out what the placement of the water, gas, and batteries should be. First I’m going to move the batteries under the V-birth in the forward locker. Next is sealing off a space in the starboard aft locker for the gas.(with a vent) Then install the water tank in the center of the port aft locker, behind the keel winch. With the motor on one side of the stern and the gas on the other, it should balance out the stern. The water tank (which is the heaviest) will be just off center and low. And last the batteries will give a little weight to the bow. All the other gear and supplies that are onboard are stored in the various lockers around the boat will even the load, as long as the heavy items are balanced. This seems like a good disbursement of weight for the heavy necessities. What do you think? 73’Catalina 22’ #2113 Rick

T

Tom

power pack vs. batteries

Rick, Sounds like an even distribution of weight, especially with the heavier water tank placed in the middle. Will you install new cowl vents on the starboard side for the fuel tank or use the existing ones? As far as the batteries are concerned, I've heard that the best way to power your lights and accessories (depending on how many amps you're drawing) is to use a power pack instead. The drawback with using batteries are the hassles of recharging and potential spillage of battery acid, especially if you place them under the v-berth. With a power pack, its very portable and can handle all your basic electrical needs (lighting and a few accessories) without the hassles of acid batteries. Plus it weighs less. Wal-Mart has them for about $60. --Tom

R

Rick

Batteries

I am going to use two group 27 flooded cell batteries connected in parallel. I’m also adding a small vent to that V-birth locker at the cabin sole level. Once I seal off the area of the gas tank, I will include a vent near the bottom of the sealed off area for fumes to escape. I have one cowl on the port side facing aft, but I will add another on the starboard side facing forward. The air should enter through the cowl and exit out the vent with the fumes. I will have pictures of this operation on my site soon, so you can see the before, during, and after pictures. Rick

A

Aldo

Rick: Why two Size 27s?

Rick: I have 1 Size 27 battery in my boat. It's good enough for several days, using lights at night, and a GPS and autopilot during the day. We don't draw it down too far either. If you have researched the battery issue, you know that you aren't suppose to draw them down below half without shortening their life. Size 27s are heavy. Do you really think you need 2? What are you planning on running? Have you thought about any solar recharging, to work on the other side of the equasion? One thing that my son and I are looking into is an LED anchor light. We estimate that this could cut our nightime power usage by 80%. I don't know if LED anchor lights are made yet, but they will be in a few years. If not, we might just build our own. White LEDs are still rather expensive. I am looking forward to seeing your website. Aldo

H

Herb

two group 27 ? Yes Here

Hey Aldo I run two group 27 batteries here in Alaska. The main reason is that we do not charge as quickly as you do. We have more clouds that increase our recharge time. If i was to go out for 3 days I would need both batteries to keep from discharging to an unacceptable level. I have a solar pannel ( i think it is a 15 watt charger) and am thinking about a second one to increase the charge rate. As for a LED anchor light. West Marine carries a LED portable light that works great for an achor light. It is wired to run off the 12 volt plug. It actually is not that expensive either. I use power for the running lights, depth sounder VHF ( cabins lights a little) and the most hungry item is the CD player that my girls can not live without. I also just added a inverter so that i can run a small MR. Coffee for in the morning before we want to fire up the stove. Any suggestions about consumption or generation would be welcome. I have never run the batteries low but i am always watching to make sure they stay healthy. Herb

R

Rick

Actually…

I was going to go with 2 group 27 batteries but I just bought a Optima yellow top off of e-bay for $114.00 with free shipping. Maybe this one battery will be all that I need. I wanted to get another group 27 so I would have 2 batteries but I could not pass up the deal on the Optima. I think my battery usage is high because I am running a lot of accessories on my boat. Yes I do have a solar panel to trickle charge the battery constantly. But like the old saying goes “What’s better than one battery? Two batteries.” I say that every time I am walking to my boat and see the powerboats with two outboards. I still may buy another Optima yellow top in the future. But for now I will give the single Optima the test run. Also I replaced the interior cabin lights with two halogen dome lights with a dimmer and will use LED’s wherever possible. I will be posting new pictures on my site this weekend and I will give everyone who is interested the address. With a powerboat you get there in a hurry, with a sailboat you’re already there. I saw that on someone’s page the other day. Funny. Rick 73’ Catalina 22’ #2113

A

Aldo

Do you use a Digital Voltmeter?

Rick: Do you use a digital voltmeter to check the voltage of your battery to know its state of charge? I was given a big solar panel by one of our customers for an investigation that they wanted us to do on it. It has a small defect in one of the cells, but it is still plenty powerful. It is about 4 feet long, by about 14 inches wide, and puts out about 4 amps. I just put it onto the floor of the cockpit after we are done using the boat for the weekend. I also have a little regulator that keeps the solar panel from cooking the battery, although I still have to add water about once a month. This Size 27 battery has lasted 4 years, which I do attribute to the solar panel. I never had one last that long before. The panel is really more like a charger than a trickle charger. It is, of course, too big to have on the boat while we are sailing it, but it was free. I did see a solar panel last week on a C-22 that the owner had mounted to the stern rail. It was about 1 foot square. I think that that is probably a good size, if it puts out about 1 amp. When we go on the week long cruises every year with Fleet 10 from Annapolis, we stay at a marina every other night. When at a marina, I plug the battery into a 4 amp charger overnight. I used to avoid electrical stuff on our boat, but when you sail with kids, I know that they enjoy the boat more when you have electronic stuff on it. I don't trust them enough to leave them home when we are on the boat. Aldo

R

Rick

I keep

a digital multimeter on board to check the batteries and electronics. I'm thinking about buying one of those battery monitors.(like the Trimetric) Does anyone have one of them? Do they work well?

Status
Not open for further replies.