Barient Winches: Great Instruction/Diagram Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
For those of us with Cherubini's that still have original and probably still working just fine Barient winches, however don't have any documentation for them, I stumbled across the below website that contains the original diagrams and instructions for the entire Barient line.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/indexes/winches.htm

Worth a look.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Thanks, my two speed Lewmar last week turned into a non holding one speed. I have taken it apart before and it needs to be disassembled and cleaned again. This manual will help in figuring out what is wrong with the second speed and holding break. One tip when disassembling a winch - put a large cloth or towel around the winch to catch the springs that may/will fly out. Someone gave me this advice the first time I took the winch apart. And they were right parts do fly out.

Jun 21, 2007
I've yet to do a winch -- although I've had them apart to remove when I painted the cabin top. Another way I've read about to make sure various part don't do a walk-about when servicing is to cut a circle the diameter of the drum in the bottom of a comfortably large cardboard box. Then place the box over the winch. Anything which goes loose stays in the box.

Jan 14, 2009
2 33 Port of Newcastle
Couldn't have come at a better time, gonna look at mine this spring.
The cardboard box is a good idea, also plastic dishpan from the dollar store.

Thanks for the link
Dave

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Finished my winch disassembly and cleaning yesterday. No parts lost, the pawls and springs are the parts that fly off. Just go slow. Interesting notes in the manual use teflon grease and dark winch covers overheat winch parts and are not good for long winch life.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Rardi, thanks for the link, perfect timing, took apart my four winch's this past weekend, changed out a few worn pawls & springs, cleaned everything and regreased.
Winches run smooth. Exploded views took out the guessswork of what to find.
Thanks again.

Jun 21, 2007
You're welcome. I've really got to do my winches, but conditions have been good for sailing. So I keep deferring.

Last weekend was our annual marine flea market. A local rigging firm brought over years of blocks, cleats, clutches, organizers, shackles etc. they had been salvaging when doing upgrades for customers. They sprawled everything out on a tarp and quoted them for sale at almost give-away prices ... All except for several old but still well working Barient 18 (non ST) 2-speed winches which they wouldn't let go for under $130 each. Shows that our old Barients still have value.

I haven't researched fully, but for typical mid-size boat cabin top applications, current winches from Lewmar and Harken are size 16. In two-speed they cost (@WM) ~ $440. The Barient 18 (which I have one) is two speed and more leverage friendly slightly larger. The current Lewmar and Harken size 16 ST winches are only one speed. My Barient 19 ST is two speed which I really like. To get a two speed cabin top replacement from Lewmar or Harken, I would need to step up to a much larger size 30-32 at $800-900.

Reinforcement for us to keep current Barients in good shape for as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.