Barient 17 2SP ST - parts?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I feel nauti this morning. I tore down, cleaned and re-lubed all 3 winches this weekend. Used the Lewmar kit that came with grease, oil and pawl springs.
One disappointing thing I found was on my deck mounted halyard winch. The pivot pin for one of the gears sits in a hole in the base of the winch. The hole is wallered (sp?) out and the gear wobbles. I am in search of a used base. I contacted the Australian Yacht Winch Co and they responded with a request for pics. All I had right now is a top down shot so I'll see if it's enough.
Are there any other mainland companies that might have parts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not at this time. Barient closed doors and the Aussie’s (ad I understand) bought up remaining stock and engineering documents.

You may find equipment on Ebay or in consignment shops that you can buy for parts. It is that or try to have a metal shop create a part. Not a low cost option.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a thought that maybe someone local might be able to weld, braze, however, a thin sleeve in the elongated hole to guide the pin. Might be a lot cheaper!
edit: I said "thin" but I mean "short". The sleeve walls could be as thick as they need to be.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Is it the Pin that has been abraded or the gear center? A bronze bushing might serve the task.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The pin and the gear are fine. It's the hole in the base that the pin is held.
I didn't measure but the pin might be 1/4 or 5/16. The hole in the base has elojgated about half that. You can rock the gear when it is pinned. It causes a noise as the gears don't mess well.
A bronze sleeve trimmed and smoothed so the gear spins cleanly could work. I should have taken pics :banghead:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The culprit. I can get this replacement part for $220. That will be Plan B if I can't repair mine. The worn out hole is in the base below that upper hole on the left. It has a flat "boss" that the gear spins on. I may need a thin brass washer to act as a bearing surface.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
There are a lot of winches on the bench. You in the business.

The upper hole looks a bit elongated as well. If so maybe reason the gears had difficulty meshing.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
A good machine shop can ream it out and put a oil bronze bushing in there.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There are a lot of winches on the bench. You in the business.

The upper hole looks a bit elongated as well. If so maybe reason the gears had difficulty meshing.
:) This pic is from the seller. That's supposed to be the one he wants to sell to me.
I have to get back out and remove mine and take pics while I look locally for someone to repair it.

Oct 22, 2014
Looked on eBay this morning. Saw a 23 ST 2 speed for $275. Difficult to evaluate. Did not see any 17's.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
J B weld. It holds up pretty well
The welders said they couldn't (or wouldn't) help me. I took your advice and used JB Weld to fill in the "warbled" hole. I think I see how it began and making an improvement in hopes of it not happening again.
Parts are expensive but not as much as a new winch. I'll see how this works out this season and then re-evaluate. I also have a broken Line Lifter Key on one of my gibsheet winches. $80 from Australia. :confused:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well crap, the JB Weld "fix" didn't work. I'll have to suck it up and get the base unit. Also getting the gear that's been wobbling against the drum teeth. Sigh, while I'm at it, I may as well replace the broken "lifting keys" on both of my gibsheet winches. Who knows how long parts will be available for these Barients.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Less expensive anyway.

20190323_163949_resized_2.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
If you didn't spend your money on your boat you'd be at Starbuck buying latte's or worse.
Life's short.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My winch repair parts are on the way. Amazing. Only $30 for insured shipping from Australia to KS, USA, but I buy something in the US and they charge at least $10 to ship.
Halyard winch-
1 x 982124 gearbox $185.00
982128 10t idler gear $134.00

Both main winches -
#302501M Line Lifter Key for Barlow & Barient #21-30 to #24-45 Self-tailing winches $72.00 x2 $144.00

No Starbucks Lattes for a while John :) Still cheaper than new winches.

Oct 22, 2014
Justin think of it as an investment in preserving the performance of the venerated Barient winch.

When done they will continue to serve you well and likely the next owner for many years.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin think of it as an investment in preserving the performance of the venerated Barient winch.

When done they will continue to serve you well and likely the next owner for many years.
Thanks John. That's how I rationalized it too.