Bare 30 III How convert pumpout for salt water

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirv1

May 30, 2010
Sabre 30 manitowoc
I have a 1986 Sabre III on Great Lakes. Head can only be pumped to holding tank and holding tank onle emptied thru deck fitting as marina. I have the Sabre schematic and have purchased macerator pump etc. and plan to convert so holding tank can be pumped out overboard at sea when we take her to Carribean. Anyone tell me how Sabre 30 that was built with this capability by Sabre is set up? Where is thru hull for holding tank macerator overboard pumpout and where is diverter valve and macerator mounted? Thanks!
Earl

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You don't need Sabre specifics...

You just need to know the best way to plumb it on your boat. It ain't rocket science...

As I'm sure you already know, the Great Lakes are "no discharge" waters, so the only legal setup is toilet to tank, tank to pumpout fitting. So if your boat was delivered to a Great Lakes dealer by Sabre, there may not be any overboard discharge thru-hulls. So the first think you need to do is hunt for any that would allow the toilet to flush directly overboard or dump a tank. If there are none, you'll have to install at least one that will do both.

After that it's simple: Install a y-valve in the pumpout line. One side to the deck pumpout fitting, the other side to the macerator pump--which should be mounted above the tank. A 1" line from the macerator to the thru-hull...you're done.

If you want to have the most trouble-free installation possible, go with a Whale y-valve...do NOT go with Jabsco. Good quality y-valves have a "barrel" inside that rotates to open one side or the other...the Jabsco has only a flimsy "gate" that the lever swings to block one side or the other. I've seen a grape seed jam it and I've never seen one more than two years old that didn't leak. Return the macerator and buy a SeaLand T-Series "Sanipump"...it's an electric diaphragm pump that can run dry without harm and will last forever.

If you have to install a thru-hull, locate it where it can do double duty as both a direct discharge for the toilet and a tank overboard discharge.

And while you're at it, upgrade the toilet to a Raritan PH II or PHC and reroute your head intake line to tee it into your head sink drain line, which will provide a safe source of clean fresh water to rinse sea water out of the system before it can stagnate and stink.

And then consider joining the Sabre email list...which is a Yahoo group.

Status
Not open for further replies.