Boat

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Can't comment on the taxes, but if you get boarded by law enforcement , let them on board then point off in the distance and say " Look, jet skiers and they all look drunk."
They will leave you alone

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’ve been gone from FL for awhile. But when we bought our boat there it was already USCG documented. If I remember, we could not get the new FL decals until the boat was properly redocumented b/c the Certificate of Documentation is essentially the “title” for the vessel. I know some things may have changed. Certainly with the documentation office they have. But I would be surprised if you could complete the FL registration w/o the Certificate (i.e., title).

Would you be cited if stopped w/o decals. The CG might well give you a pass on the documentation in progress. The Florida Marine Patrol, I don’t know. I would call them directly and ask. But, you might just get a mushy answer that’s not helpful. It ultimately comes down to what the two FMP officers decide on hearing your explanation. It’s a toss-up. I can imagine that they hear dozens of phony, or otherwise unacceptable, explanations every year as to why a vessel is lacking current decals, etc. But I see them as mostly working the power boat end of the enforcement spectrum.
It’s different here in CA. USCG documented vessels are not required to register for CA decals. But other vessels are so required.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
As I remember, my documentation service gave me a letter from them the day after they applied that said the application had been submitted to the CG and even gave the documentation number that would be assigned. They said to show the letter to anyone boarding until the documentation came in - which was about three months. Talk to your documentation company - not the broker. They deal with this every day. The CG doesn't look at state stickers or state registration for documented boats. What address will be on the CG documentation? What home port on the stern? Alabama? I'm not a Florida resident and when the FWC has boarded me they just look at the documentation which has a RI address. They also look at my drivers license which has a Mass address. I doubt most FWC officers would ask if you have a FL registration. But if they do, show them a copy of the application that shows the taxes paid. Finally, if you are leaving Florida within six months you don't need to pay Florida sales taxes but you need to get a special sticker. I think Alabama sales tax on an auxiliary sailboat is only 2% much less than Florida (although I could be out of date on the 2%) https://www.floridasalestax.com/documents/Florida-DOR-Tax-Guide-Boat-Dealers-and-Brokers.pdf

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
State laws on taxes vary but obviously the broker is not aware of the exemptions and form GT-500003. @jssailem put the tax code out there for the state of Florida. Thank you sir.

As a dealer I collected taxes and reported at one point the taxes for four states if the boats were going there and on the bill of sale, it included delivery by someone. The title work was done correctly and never an issue. However the four states were different. When it came to Coast Guard Documentation, then no state registration was necessary. Different for trailers. In North Carolina trailers are taxed and titled while in South Carolina the trailer is not titled nor registered. However, if pulling a SC trailer in NC with an NC registered vehicle, you can get fined for that as the trailer has to be pulled by a SC registered vehicle. Pulling Kermit's boat with a SC trailer on my VA registered truck, will I did not tell @Kermit but had to croak like a frog on that one paying the fine.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Different for trailers. In North Carolina trailers are taxed and titled while in South Carolina the trailer is not titled nor registered. However, if pulling a SC trailer in NC with an NC registered vehicle, you can get fined for that as the trailer has to be pulled by a SC registered vehicle. Pulling Kermit's boat with a SC trailer on my VA registered truck, will I did not tell @Kermit but had to croak like a frog on that one paying the fine.
Only a cop trying to be a jerk would bother with that, especially if the trailer is actually registered to another owner. WI does not title small trailers. I'm an IL resident, which does title and license trailers. I've been pulled over for no trailer registration in IL, when borrowing my brother's trailer from WI. Once explained, the cop OK no problem.

Something worth mentioning. When buying vehicles, regardless of what they are, one has to be prepared for a lot of people to not know what the laws are. I've argued with the local DMV office, was forced to pay a tax I was not required to pay. The secretary of state initially thought I should be paying even more tax (automated audit). When I called in, it was determined that the DMV messed up and they sent me a check. (that was from IL, so I was surprised it didn't bounce) They guy from the Secretary of State said to never believe the people from the DMV, they don't know the laws.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Yes but then there are those just recently out of police training trying to make a name for themselves like a new local one near a town to us for 1 mile over. In time he will wake up for wasting his time but mostly the judges time who will throw them out.