Baltimore......

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
hello all,
Would love to know about marinas and sailing out of Baltimore......

Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@NYSail you thinking of immigrating south out of NY?

If you dock in the “Inner Harbor” you’ll be only 12 minutes from “The Yard” that is Camden Yard, home of the Orioles. The birth place of “The Babe”...

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I am looking to retire...... keep a footprint of affordable dirt and sail. If I can sell, buy and have no bills except utilities
And insurance I’m set

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I am looking to retire...... keep a footprint of affordable dirt and sail. If I can sell, buy and have no bills except utilities
And insurance I’m set
If you want dirt, you might go out the Patapsco River to Nabs/Bodkin/Rock creek or such.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I thought it might be fun to sail into a city. Walk a few blocks and see a game. A few cities offer this adventure. Seattle, San Francisco, and Baltimore to name a couple.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Why not go just a little further south to Annapolis? There are marinas in the inner harbor but you're still about an hour from the Bay proper. Annapolis is much closer to the bay, much lower crime, and a bigger sailing area in general.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I thought it might be fun to sail into a city....
It is. A few years ago I won a door prize for a $200.00 gift certificate at the Bal'mer Anchorage Marina ( nice place). I could have stayed 3 nights for that, but could only manage two- one the night before and one the night of- an O's game. My financial plannner, Harris/LPL, had a family night at the stadium. 2 free tickets, dinner at the rooftop deck, then good seats to the game. ANd a gift bag of goodies! AND A GOOD TWO DAYS OF SAILING

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
I’m a big fan of Baltimore. I kept my boat at a marina on the middle branch of the patapsco. The marina wasn’t gold plated, but was friendly and a number of livaboards kept an eye on things. Best thing it was 10 minutes from my house! I moved about 2 years ago to a marina a little farther out the Patapsco on Rock creek - first to haul and store for the winter but decided to stay as we liked the setting.

The thing I really liked about Baltimore harbor was sailing at night. During the summer there was more often then not a nice sailing breeze. You have to keep an eye out for tugs and freighters but that just becomes second nature after a while and everybody’s monitoring 13 so you just hail if your trying to figure out where their going.

We would frequently hop on the boat on a Friday night and cruise over to fells point to listen to music, dockage was free if you weren’t staying the night. We’d also go anchor in the inner harbor and dinghy into the paddle boat dock. Once you get past the key bridge the Patapsco opens up and there is a wonderful anchorage across the bay in Swan creek.

There’s also a fairly active racing scene in Baltimore harbor through BCYA and a community sailing center.

The inner harbor does get crowded and if you keep your boat there you have to drive through some congested traffic if your coming from the outskirts.

Baltimore’s affordable and has great music, food, lots of craft brews, and a thriving arts scene. It gets a bad rap for crime and drugs but I don’t think it’s any worse then any other big city.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I thought it might be fun to sail into a city. Walk a few blocks and see a game. A few cities offer this adventure. Seattle, San Francisco, and Baltimore to name a couple.
I'm pretty sure you could do this at Citibank Stadium (Nee Shea Stadium) if you stay at the World's Fair Marina. And you could do Yankee games staying on City Island and a Uber ride to the the "House that Ruth Built."

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
While I keep my sailboat at a marina in Edgewood, MD, in Harford County, which is about 30 minutes north of Baltimore, there are an abundance of marinas in Baltimore County that I keep thinking about moving to, until I see the cost, but the cost of marinas in the city are pretty pricey, as well. There's a cornucopia of amenities at a number of these places - not sure what you're looking for exactly. Sailing is pretty good in the area, for sure, but I wouldn't want to jump overboard in the Inner Harbor to cool off...

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Hey @NYSail -- what about Charleston, SC?

You guys got me reminiscing about my Boston trip in 2011. It was awesome to be moored in the inner harbor near Fanual Hall and the Aquarium, in walking distance to everything. Sorry for the thread drift.
DSCN0163.JPG DSCN0161.JPG DSCN0148.JPG

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You should plan a voyage. Two days to Lewes, DE, in through the C&D canal, then 3 weeks down the bay and back with maybe an offshore return to NewYorkNewYork. Your questions would be mostly answered. With the exception of a few municipalities in Virginia, Maryland is much more property tax friendly. But you can figure that out after you get the lay of the bay.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I keep my boat in the inner harbor. It is convenient and safe. I have had it there since 2013. PM me with any questions.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I really love sailing in that area. You can find a huge range of Marina's from expensive to cheap depending upon what you want. There are a bunch of town houses that have their own slips, always thought that might be a good option, but don't know the prices. Can't remember exactly where they are, I know, not very helpful...

Baltimore is a nice city. I think all big cities have crime and places within them with more crime than others. It's been a number of years since I've been sailing there and hanging out in the city, current locals can give you more up-to-date info.

Sailing on the Chesapeake is lovely, you'll be well served running a shoal draft. Many isolated coves to anchor in. I prefer solitude, the inner harbor was too active for my tastes, but great to visit from time to time. Had a boat there for about a year. Then moved further south. Wonderful memories.

dj

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Baltimore? I'm not sure that someone from NYC would view that quite the same way. Obviously I'm partial to Annapolis.

If you're going to live aboard -- then you won't like sail that much. (Statistically speaking, I think that's a fair statement.) As pointed out above, you're a long way from getting to the Bay and some its many treats.

What are you planning on doing NYSail? Do you need to be close to the train or airport?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Now Mt. Sinai, NY (is really on Long.guy.land) Still, you will have a big cultural adjustment in Ball'more for a "New York State of Mind"

upload_2018-12-24_15-47-12.png

[P.S. - Billy Joel is an amazing musician and performer. He's also quite a boater. He also is a resident of Long.guy.land. He used to live in Huntington. Now I think he moved farther east near Sag Harbor. We came across him one late afternoon in New Castle, NY [near Portsmouth], but that's a story for another time. ;^))) )

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I think Billy Joel grew up nearer to Oyster Bay, maybe it was Cold Spring Harbor) than Huntington (I grew up in Huntington). He had ( or maybe still has) a waterfront home in Oyster Bay after he got rich.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I knew of him only from a friend (and consummate sailor) who used to know he and his wife when they lived there. It thought that was in Huntington. I know not where he grew-up. ;^))))
Interesting area. A lot of amazing diversity economically and culturally there.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Baltimore? I'm not sure that someone from NYC would view that quite the same way. Obviously I'm partial to Annapolis.

If you're going to live aboard -- then you won't like sail that much. (Statistically speaking, I think that's a fair statement.) As pointed out above, you're a long way from getting to the Bay and some its many treats.

What are you planning on doing NYSail? Do you need to be close to the train or airport?
I’m actually a massive American transient. Born in Jamaica, ny, lived in San Francisco, back to NY, then down south to Richmond, then Potomac, MD, college and beginning life in charlotte nc, then the only truck heading north back to Long Island in 1990. So I can flow with many types....... matter of sailing grounds and quality of life.