Balmar Regulator Temp Sense Wires

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Installing a Balmar ARS-5 with both battery and alternator temperature sensing. The battery sensing cable is miles too long and the alternator sensing cable is a few feet shy of reaching the regulator.

Any issues with shortening or lengthening the cables? Can I use the Alternator sensor on the battery and vice versa?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Yes and no. You can lengthen the cables, BUT be sure to add the length at the regulator end and not at the alternator or battery end. What looks like just a wire ring connector is actually a thermistor. If you cut that off you have just ruined the sensor.

And NO, you cannot interchange the alternator and battery sensors. They are different.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks Rich, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure before finished up the job.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
They use the same thermistor
Installing a Balmar ARS-5 with both battery and alternator temperature sensing. The battery sensing cable is miles too long and the alternator sensing cable is a few feet shy of reaching the regulator.

Any issues with shortening or lengthening the cables? Can I use the Alternator sensor on the battery and vice versa?

Only difference between the MC-TS-A and MC-TS-B is the length of cable and the lug hole size. They can be swapped, usually much easier than extending it...

MC-TS-A = 5/16' Lug Hole (Many neg battery lugs are 5/16")
MC-TS-B = 3/8" Lug Hole (A large flat washer on-top of the 3/8" lug will work to provide alt temp protection.)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
They use the same thermistor
Only difference between the MC-TS-A and MC-TS-B is the length of cable and the lug hole size. They can be swapped, usually much easier than extending it...
Good to know. I admit I assumed they were different because the battery and alternator run at radically different temperatures. But I never disassembled them or ran a temperature-resistance curve.