Balast for Capri 16.5 (no keel)

May 29, 2014
Catalina Capri 16.5 Medicine Lake
I have a Catalina 16.5 Capri. I purchased a model without a keel, so it has a centerboard that I can swing up and down. My problem is that this model seems kind of tipsy and so I was wondering if you could add water ballast. There is a plastic threaded plug that screws in at the rear end of the boat that could be opened to allow water to enter the base. I'm just not sure if that is what this was designed for. Does anyone know for sure?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Answer.......NO. Water ballast needs to be contained, letting water into the inner hull will do nothing but increase the chance of capsizing the boat. It's a dinghy, it's going to feel a bit "tipsy". It will heal to a degree and stiffen up. Just be ready to dump the main in a gust. Learn to sail a dinghy, and you'll be able to sail anything. Your skills will be much sharper in the long run. When the water is warm, and of course you ALWAYS have your life jackets on, flip the boat over and learn to right it. It's going to happen someday, so you might as well learn what to expect, and how to resolve the situation. When we taught basic sailing instruction when I lived back in the midwest, all the students were required to flip the boat and right them along to pass the course. Have fun!

Don

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
One thing you might want to do, to ensure the boat doesn't turtle if/when you do have a knockdown, is to either fill the top of the mast with pool noodle foam or put a hobie float or gallon jug up there. Never dumped mine over but it was only by the skin of my teeth that I didn't the day I went out and the only other boats were 25 feet and up. :D