Bahamas Bound on our 1982 Hunter 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
You didn't stop at LuLu's? Missed a nice place!

Do NOT use Govt Cut when leaving Apalachacola. Well shoaled, very skinny outlet. Go to the eastern cut instead.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
We did see LuLu's, but didn't stop. Sorry we didn't now.

We didn't leave Destin, because of weather. It looked like it would be good yesterday, but this morning proved otherwise.

When we leave here, we'll be going outside, because we can't make it under the 49' bridge. I had planned on using Government Cut in Apalachicola, but will re-think that now. Thanks for the warning. When were you there? My friend ahead of us used it a week ago, on his Tartan 41 (6 1/2' draft).

Ralph

Apr 12, 2010
hunter 33 FWYC
We did see LuLu's, but didn't stop. Sorry we didn't now.

We didn't leave Destin, because of weather. It looked like it would be good yesterday, but this morning proved otherwise.

When we leave here, we'll be going outside, because we can't make it under the 49' bridge. I had planned on using Government Cut in Apalachicola, but will re-think that now. Thanks for the warning. When were you there? My friend ahead of us used it a week ago, on his Tartan 41 (6 1/2' draft).

Ralph
Ralph

If you are still in Destin I live on the harbor. There is a Christmas boat parade tomorrow give me a ring at 8503682017 if you need anything.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Ralph

If you are still in Destin I live on the harbor. There is a Christmas boat parade tomorrow give me a ring at 8503682017 if you need anything.
Rats! We left yesterday about 7 am. We are in Panama City now. I'm so sorry to have missed meeting you, but thanks so much for your offer. Destin was nice, so I see why you are living there.

PS-The boat is holding up well to some crappy days on the Gulf. Mostly a lot of bashing into winds and confused seas, mostly on the nose. Offshore hops have really sucked so far. I sure hope it gets better soon.

Ralph

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
RTB, It's winter on the Gulf side of Fl and there is no moderation of the mess you get from the north until the air mass is centered in the Gulf and moves south over us in the central and eastern side of the state.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
We are still in Panama City. We made a quick trip back to Texas for our son's graduation, but are now back on the boat. Wow! There have been some nasty storms here. Gusts to 43 knots yesterday. Not fun!

We have a one day weather window to go offshore tomorrow. I think we'll just play it safe, and do a quick 20 mile hop down to Port St. Joe and hang out there while the next system plays out. Looks like we may spend New Year's Eve there.

Anyway, I hope you all had a nice Christmas, and here's wishing a Happy New Year to you.

Ralph

Jun 3, 2004
Island Packet Island Packet 29 West River, MD
Hey Ralph,

I was wondering what happened to you. Congrats on your son. I've been following the thread since the beginning and then you disappeared. You're lucky, you're living the dream. Good luck on the trip to Port St Joe.

Looking forward to your updates.

Joe Mullee
s/v TaknMyTime
1983 Hunter 34
Chesapeake Bay

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Thanks Joe! We did make it to Port St.Joe. Despite the forecast, it was still a long slog for us. We stupidly thought this was going to be an easy, quick trip. We didn't get off to an early start, as it was about 10:30 am before we had the boat ready to cast off. It was a fair trip from the marina where we were, to the open Gulf. Once out there, it was obvious that the winds were once again on the nose, and seas not as forecast (1-2'). Long story short, we covered 36 miles in a whopping 8 hours! UGH!

It was clear that we would get to the Port St. Joe Marina after they closed, so my wife called ahead to let them know we were running late, but were on the way. They said no problem, and gave us the combination to the restrooms, and would let some of the locals there to watch for us.

I will get some pictures of the marina entrance in a day or two. Man, it is a tight one, with a seawall on port and rocks on the right. As you enter, there is a sharp turn. Looking ahead in total darkness last night, all that you see are the rocks. I circled three times before getting evrything figured out, and once we got part way in, it wasn't so bad. Hard to describe, but once you see the pix, you will understand better. We looked at the entrance today before breakfast. It was still scarey looking in daylight. I will say, other than the entrance, this is one of the nicest, cleanest, friendliest marina you will ever find. Not a bad place if you are going to be stuck somewhere. I just hope we can make the Bahamas before next hurricane season!

We paid up for a week here, because the weather is crappy looking that far out. Sorry, we aren't very entertaining these days. Sometimes, that's just the way it is when cruising fulltime.

Ralph
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, I know about marinas.com. I had looked at photos on Active Captain beforehand. It just looks different from the boat, and in the dark, from the water. Knowing that a storm was due in a few hours, and our boat is our home, it was cause for concern at the time. My wife pulled up photos on her phone (using Navionics) while I was circling and trying to get a feel for things, before making a commitment.

Ralph

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Know what you are saying. We came into Pass-A-Grill one rough night after sailing up from Venice. Heavy west wind blowing us to shore, few marker lights obscured by shore lights, although I knew the pass well it was a very hard passage. Nothing better than daylight.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Here is one photo that we took last night. The problem for me was getting lined up correctly to come in, if that makes sense? I'll try to get better pix.

DO NOT go past the marina entrance! This will be your fate, about one hundred yards out.

Ralph

May 3, 2009
H Cherubini 37 Madisonville, La., Pontchartrain
Totally enjoying your sail blog. Planning on making the same trip myself from the Ponchartrain when I retire in about a year. Wish my Admiral was as enthused as yours . Safe trip to ya' . Enjoy the adventure.
Wally

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Best wishes Wally. We'll be looking for you out here. Just get away before the pesky cold fronts start rolling through!

Still stuck in Port St. Joe.

Ralph

Apr 25, 2007
Hunter Cutter 37 Jacksonville, Florida
Great to hear someone's out and about... wish it were me... Soon though. I'm not in St.Pete now, but was there for several years, lots between Clearwater and Sarasota to see and do. I would highly recommending Vanoy Basin (probably all mooring balls now) as downtown St.Pete's got lots to see and do. Salt Creek basin has lots of businesses/places to fix/work on stuff. It gets slower and older the further south you go. We always kidded saying that the old folks live in St.Pete, and their parents live in Sarasota, and their parents live in Ft.Myers, etc. Besides that, it really is a great part of Florida and I hope to get back there soon. Also, if you want to jump into the ICW at Clearwater, there's places to anchor, grab a slip, resturants on the water, and a chance to head south for several hours on the inside if you end up having to fight against a strong southerly breeze, with it being fairly shallow offshore, it gets rough.
Kb

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Thanks, kb. We are looking forward to the trip south.

It looks like a possible window opening up early next week. Too early to count on, but I'm getting excited.

The fuel pump should be in tomorrow. If all goes well, we could be back in business soon. Fingers crossed.

I fabricated a mount for the chartplotter, thanks to the local Ace Hardware, and my dremel tool. I wired it temporarily, and it works! I still need to drill a hole in the cockpit, and run the wires through the cable clam before the install is complete.

Some friends from our home port were travelling to south Florida for a short vacation. They stopped by for a short visit, and we had dinner here at the Dock Side restaurant at the Port St. Joe Marina. It is always great to meet up with old friends from home!

Dinner in Port St. Joe.jpg

Ralph

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hi Alex.

I guess I'm like most cruisers out there. I use Passage Weather http://passageweather.com/, Weather Underground Marine Forecasts http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/GM/775.html, Windfinder http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/apalachicola, and listen to the VHF weather updates for the local area. I also download gribs at UGRIB. I am a private pilot, and understand weather to some extent, but not ready to risk much, on my own forecast!

We should be out of Port St. Joe soon, probably tomorrow.

So, what makes a Good Day out here? I guess there are too many answers to that question. I will say that today was one, though. First, it's like 75* here, as it was yesterday. Sunny. For me, any warm day on the water, and I'm happy.

I do think that getting projects done helps make the day a good one, especially if the weather is pleasant while accomplishing a goal or two. Finally, the new fuel pump is installed, and the diesel is running (leak free for now). Yay!

Can you spot something new on this old 30 year old engine?

I may have learned a new trick in the process. I don't know if this usually works, but it did today. When starting the engine, use about 1/2 throttle and keep it up for a bit, once it starts. During startup, have someone pumping the priming lever. We never had to bleed the system. Cool!

I might have mentioned that our Christmas gift to each other, was a Garmin 546s chartplotter. I wanted to mount it at the helm on the Binnacle. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a mount that would work. A trip to the local ACE Hardware store, and I came up with a plan.

For one thing, I had read about the magnet, holding the door closed, where you install the SD card. If I mounted the unit above the compass, it would swing ( Garmin says not to install it closer than 32" from the compass). I had read on some forum, that if it was mounted off to the right, that was not a problem. The magnet is inside that little door on the bottom right of the plotter. You can see it in the last photo. Hey, that was correct. That is why it is mounted the way it is. Not ideal, but it will work, at least until I come up with an alternative.

The work is done, and we both had showers. Planning dinner, and drinking a cold beer as we speak. For us, it was a great day. We hope yours was, as well!

We'll check in from Apalachicola.

Ralph

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Ralph - wow, that fuel pump is in a tough spot! Mine (on 3QM30) is on the same side but right at the front of the engine. I'll bet that pump went in blind using only the tips of two fingers on the same hand...all while contorted in some strange position?

I like the way you mounted the plotter. I was considering a similar approach - bolting some SS to the binnacle guard - but I never thought to offset it like that. I'll have to revisit my proposed installation...

Apr 25, 2007
Hunter Cutter 37 Jacksonville, Florida
Alright, new gps. I just put a hugh hole in my bulkhead next to the companion way and mounted a Garmin 541, and yea, it caused the compass to swing by 15 degrees when it was within 30 inches. FYI, if you end up needing Yanmar parts, look up Mastry in St.Pete, they are the regional Yanmar distributor and will sell parts at wholesale via their will-call counter, they're strict on business hours too. But, man, what a resource for getting any part you can imagine, they got it. They're on Anvil St. unless they've moved. Back to the gps, something that I'm guiltly of is grabing anything and I've yanked on things and worked them loose, I'm really looking forward to having the pedistal very simple and stout, and the gps flush mounted. Happy sails,
Kb

Status
Not open for further replies.