Bad news, good news

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
All chain would help but then there would be less shock absorption.
That is not what I was taught. All chain has more shock absorption because of the increased sag in the rode.
Chain is certainly heavier but you need less of it than rope line.

I’m relatively late to the game of cruising and I don’t have unlimited resources.
As far as a knowledge-base goes, the Internet is any incredible "virtually unlimited" resource that old time sailors never had the equivalent of. You bought a couple of books and talked to your dock mates. You learned by trial and error and the shared knowledge of a dozen people max. Now, we get the benefit of crowd sourcing. Amazing:rolleyes:

I like shemander's flaired ends idea. I've been aboard during a storm when the anchor rode was cut by the roller. Not a good scene.
You might also keep in mind that asyms often attach to the end of the anchor roller.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
Went with the 45lb Mantus anchor. The marina is buying (and will install) Mantus bow roller and anchor mate. I bought a rebuilt L-S manual windlass. Pretty exciting. Thank you all for the help.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Went with the 45lb Mantus anchor. The marina is buying (and will install) Mantus bow roller and anchor mate. I bought a rebuilt L-S manual windlass. Pretty exciting. Thank you all for the help.
You will sleep soundly at night when on that anchor!

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
We do. We ours last spring and it's been great, so far. Now i should trat looking at windlasses..........

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@lingerfeltja Congrats on your selection. Having just purchased similar equipment I would suggest you contact Dave here at SBO. I picked up a Lewmar V3 windlass from him. Very pleased with the help and service. Your selection of a 45 Mantus will for sure bite the bottom of Lake Michigan. What are you doing for chain and rode?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
I plan to use my current equipment. It’s only four years old and lightly used.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good sound plan... How much chain?
I believe the Mantus works well with chain at least as long as your boat in most places. I chose a bit longer for our waters up here. I have 105 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
There are a number of bow roller setups now that instead of having just one roller at the take-up end, they have two rollers on a sort of a sea-saw setup to reduce the angle of the rode over the rollers and if it were me, installing a new bow roller setup, that's what I'd go with, even in your case it would cost a bit more for the yard to do it, or buy one. Do a search for bow roller, or anchor bow roller, and there should be some pictures.

Basically, it's like two parallel plates of steel with a roller at each end and a pivot point in the middle. the Pivot point would be the same place the original roller was. Be sure to have a U-shapped metal piece over the outmost roller. Anyway, if it were me, that's what I'd opt for.