Registered users don't see ads

Bad news, good news

Discussion in 'The Cherubini Hunters' started by lingerfeltja, Jan 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    That is not what I was taught. All chain has more shock absorption because of the increased sag in the rode.
    Chain is certainly heavier but you need less of it than rope line.

As far as a knowledge-base goes, the Internet is any incredible "virtually unlimited" resource that old time sailors never had the equivalent of. You bought a couple of books and talked to your dock mates. You learned by trial and error and the shared knowledge of a dozen people max. Now, we get the benefit of crowd sourcing. Amazing:rolleyes:

I like shemander's flaired ends idea. I've been aboard during a storm when the anchor rode was cut by the roller. Not a good scene.
    You might also keep in mind that asyms often attach to the end of the anchor roller.

- Will (Dragonfly)

2. lingerfeltja

lingerfeltja

Joined Jun 4, 2004
    45 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 37 Cutter
    US St. Joseph, Michigan
    Went with the 45lb Mantus anchor. The marina is buying (and will install) Mantus bow roller and anchor mate. I bought a rebuilt L-S manual windlass. Pretty exciting. Thank you all for the help.

justsomeguy likes this.
  3. Jim Legere

Jim Legere

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    836 posts, 59 likes
    Hunter 37-cutter
    CA 44°38'15"N63°55'36"W
    You will sleep soundly at night when on that anchor!

4. py26129

py26129

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    572 posts, 93 likes
    Island Packet IP31
    CA Lake St. Louis, Montreal
    We do. We ours last spring and it's been great, so far. Now i should trat looking at windlasses..........

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,217 posts, 1,662 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    @lingerfeltja Congrats on your selection. Having just purchased similar equipment I would suggest you contact Dave here at SBO. I picked up a Lewmar V3 windlass from him. Very pleased with the help and service. Your selection of a 45 Mantus will for sure bite the bottom of Lake Michigan. What are you doing for chain and rode?

6. lingerfeltja

lingerfeltja

Joined Jun 4, 2004
    45 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 37 Cutter
    US St. Joseph, Michigan
    I plan to use my current equipment. It’s only four years old and lightly used.

7. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,217 posts, 1,662 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Good sound plan... How much chain?
    I believe the Mantus works well with chain at least as long as your boat in most places. I chose a bit longer for our waters up here. I have 105 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode.

8. John Nantz

John Nantz

Joined Jul 1, 1998
    2,903 posts, 15 likes
    Hunter Legend 35
    US Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
    There are a number of bow roller setups now that instead of having just one roller at the take-up end, they have two rollers on a sort of a sea-saw setup to reduce the angle of the rode over the rollers and if it were me, installing a new bow roller setup, that's what I'd go with, even in your case it would cost a bit more for the yard to do it, or buy one. Do a search for bow roller, or anchor bow roller, and there should be some pictures.

Basically, it's like two parallel plates of steel with a roller at each end and a pivot point in the middle. the Pivot point would be the same place the original roller was. Be sure to have a U-shapped metal piece over the outmost roller. Anyway, if it were me, that's what I'd opt for.

9. lingerfeltja

lingerfeltja

Joined Jun 4, 2004
    45 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 37 Cutter
    US St. Joseph, Michigan
    I went with the complete Mantus package. Large bow roller with anchor mate.

jssailem likes this.