Bad, Bad, Bad Smell

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Our boat normally smells good. But one day we opened it and nearly died from the god-awful smell that we just KNEW was head-related. To make a long story short, it was the rugs that had mildewed. It took a while to figure it out but it was that simple. The drive home with god-awful smelling rugs wasn't pleasant but they all came clean and the boat smells good again. The moral of the story is keep looking. If it can get damp or wet it can smell god-awful. And thanks to Peggie for helping me figure it out.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We ordered the Pure Ayre gallon marine size today after getting all the smell out of our boat. One 6" duct from the air conditioner is the only one we haven't changed. It's not bad but has a slight odor on start-up. I had it out once and may change it next season since it takes about three hours to haul out the aft cabin to get access. For now we'll spray the inside.

All U Get

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
We ordered the Pure Ayre gallon marine size today after getting all the smell out of our boat. One 6" duct from the air conditioner is the only one we haven't changed. It's not bad but has a slight odor on start-up. I had it out once and may change it next season since it takes about three hours to haul out the aft cabin to get access. For now we'll spray the inside.

All U Get
take more showers :poke:

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Thanks for the tip on PureAyre, Peggy; I'll order that right now. :)

Page

Mar 30, 2011
hunter 34 melbourne
So...just completed the sale on the 27' Hunter pictured. Everything moved happily along until......my wife stepped down into the cabin and there was a strong odor of sewage. It gets even more complicated because she will not be open to trying any of the sort of chemicals commonly used in a toilet for RV's and so forth. So now I'm a little worried. The seller assured us that it could be pumped out, but for some reason, I have a feeling that isn't going to solve the whole problem.

I have no idea how the head works on this sailboat.

1. Is there a book like Heads for Dummies or something that will explain how the whole thing works?

2. Does anyone know of any alternatives to chemicals commonly used?

3. Any other suggestions (like possibly removing the head and plugging the whole thing up, opting, instead, for something like a composting toilet of the sort shown here https://www.tinyhousesinside.com/pr...8C2s-_BKLi2WBkMVnu5yHR_q8UUwT6JyBoCTSrw_wcB)?

I don't want to get too hung up on the composting toilet, so would prefer topic mainly on getting rid of the smell.

Page

Mar 30, 2011
hunter 34 melbourne
Look into the marine ventilation system just install one in my 40.5 ran 2 of the vacuum lines to the holding tank area and engine room , works great ! I use the 12v continuous duty inline system.

Jun 26, 2016
Hunter 1979 Hunter 27 Cherubini Roswell
Okay, so ordered the book. I cleaned out the holding tank, and about 70 percent of the smell is gone. But still no go. So decided to attack it as a bilge problem next.

I'm assuming in the attached photo (not a photo of my boat but a sample I found on the internet), that the teak panel on the floor is covering the bilge. Am I correct?

If so, on my boat, this panel will NOT lift up no matter what I do. And the lift ring is broken as well. Any suggestions on how I can get this thing lifted without damaging everything?

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If there's a lift ring on it, it's a hatch...or was originally. Hopefully the PO knew better than to glue it down...or at least didn't use 5200 if he did.
I cleaned out the holding tank, and about 70 percent of the smell is gone. But still no go. So decided to attack it as a bilge problem next.
Have you tested the sanitation hoses for permeation yet? As I said early in this discussion, it's the most common source of odor inside a boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A wide flat screwdriver or a wood chisel may work to get under the edge of the bilge board. You might dent the wood some trying to pry it out, but you need to open her up and see what is under there.

Oct 6, 2017
Hunter 30 Toronto
Hi Peggy! We are new 1978 H30C owners with a similar issue. The boat has a smell from the holding tank under the port settee and it is exacerbated in the cabinet under the head sink.

Can you post or send me the link to your book? I have the feeling that we may be replacing all of the hoses and removing and cleaning the tank while the boat is on the hard this winter.

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2011
Hunter 27 Annapolis
Sorry to say. When it comes to the head, I don't fool around. Every boat I have ever purchased the first thing I do is remove the holding tank, head and head hoses. I'm not sure what kind of set up was in there but it was out about first thing.
Try to link up with a fresh water flush instead of sea water. It will get rid of continuing odors.
I actually used a portable unit by sea land which converts to a holding tank with fill. Kinda crazy but it's great in my 27 footer.

Old:
headParts.jpg
Darn. No new pic.

Anyway here is kind of like what I got.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/thetford--porta-potti-550p-msd--14562060?recordNum=2

Thanks for posting