Backing, Capitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

We recently bought a cat 36mkII with a Universal m-35. It seems to pull to Port whether in reverse or forward at slow speeds. I was wondering if anyone has some help as to what angle / direction you should move the wheel to help offset this problem? I have tried in currentless / windless situations and it seems to be very difficult to figure out? Any experience here would be a plus!

S

Stanley J. Rogacevicz

Normal Prop Walk

All Right hand turning props unless they are the feathering type (Auto or Max) will cause the stern to walk to Port in reverse and to Starboard (causing the bow to go to port) , some more than others but they all do it. When I'm standing at the wheel I just kind of swing my hips whichever way the prop is going to walk the stern before shifting to get the mental picture of what is going to happen. You can use it to your advantage to spin the boat on a dime when going forward by allways turning to port because the prop will walk the stern to starboard helping you out. I have to back out of my slip to starboard so I gun it - yes gun it - to gain sternway with the rudder only turned halfway to starboard. Once I get some speed up and the rudder now has some control I backoff the throttle, hit neutral, turn the wheel harder to starboard and coast through the turn. That way the prop is not working against me through the critical part of the turn. When I get out in the lane and hit forward and some throttle the stern walks to starboard and straightens me right out. A c28 and now c320 both with 3 blade fixed same slip - they are all the same. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

S

Stanley J. Rogacevicz

Normal Prop Walk II

Sorry for the re-post but I left out a coulple key words in the last one. All Right hand turning props unless they are the feathering type (Auto or Max) will cause the stern to walk to Port in reverse and to Starboard (causing the bow to go to port) in Forward, some more than others, but they all do it. When I'm standing at the wheel I just kind of swing my hips whichever way the prop is going to walk the stern before shifting to get the mental picture of what is going to happen. You can use it to your advantage to spin the boat on a dime when going forward by allways turning to port because the prop will walk the stern to starboard helping you out. I have to back out of my slip to starboard so I gun it - yes gun it - to gain sternway with the rudder only turned halfway to starboard. Once I get some speed up and the rudder now has some control I backoff the throttle, hit neutral, turn the wheel harder to starboard and coast through the turn. That way the prop is not working against me through the critical part of the turn. When I get out in the lane and hit forward and some throttle the stern walks to starboard and straightens me right out. A c28 and now c320 both with 3 blade fixed same slip - they are all the same. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

H

hp

Prop Walk

Jeff, We have a 2001 C-36 with the same engine and a 15x9 three blade on it. It will crab over to port in reverse and to starboard in forward. Makes it nice to dock on the port side. You do loose the effect of propwalk when the vessel gets some way on. As soon as the vessel has way the rudder takes over. I can't think of how a vessel would have the same direction of propwalk in both forward and reverse other than a feathering prop. Regards, Chris C-36 "Beau Jouet" Hull # 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.