Back stay tighter = hoisting main harder

Jul 30, 2017
Hunter 35.5 Chicago
The partner determined our H35.5 back stays were loose. We don’t have a gauge. We don’t have a Legend to compare too. He thought they needed to be tighter. They probably haven’t been touched in years.

It appears the main is even harder to hoist now. Might this be because of the bend he added to the mast?

Thanks for the help always!!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Might this be because of the bend he added to the mast, or am I just annoyed he screwed with something that probably was just fine?
The latter, most likely.
The twist is odd. What size and year is your boat, it looks like a larger model. A picture from the side might help too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If your mainsail slides are a close tolerance fit into the grove, then extra bend can make them hard to pull. In particular if you have longer ones, or a long one at the head.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
there is a twist in the back stay visible at the plate/clamp thing
Interesting. Mine has a split backstay, but two lower parts are actually one piece of wire, and the diamond plate has sheaves in the lower corners over which this wire runs. There's a hydraulic backstay tensioner on the starboard side only. This is not what the documentation for the boat shows; it shows an arrangement like yours, a tri-plate with two separate lower pieces, with their own turnbuckles. It was either upgraded by the factory or a previous owner.

I suspect your twist is because when the turnbuckles were adjusted, the upper stud in the turnbuckle, swaged to wire, wasn't prevented from turning with the turnbuckle body, and a twist was put into the wire.

You should loosen then, lube the screws (Lanacote) and tension again, this time making sure to hold the upper stud from turning with the turnbuckle body.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ah. You have a TidesMarine SailTrack. Those are awesome. I have one too, and will put much more bend in the mast than than on breezy days, Never any extra pressure. You sail should go up like a knife through butter.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
No, I think he's serious. I installed one on my C36 and it worked great.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Isn't your backstay adjustable.... I mean are you able to adjust the backstay for different conditions and points of sail? If not, that's a fantastic upgrade to make your boat perform better.
Check your owner's manual for proper rig tune. There's a link on this site. https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_35.5_91848823.pdf
BTW, Hunter calls it a "splitter plate"

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have an H23 with standard track in the extrusion and sail slugs. I cleaned the track with a rag pushed up and down with a spare slug (before it was stepped) and then used a slug and bit of cloth to spray/spread Sailkote dry lube in the track. Made it a lot easier to raise main. Yours might just be dirty or clogged or not slippery enough.