B & G Radio set-up

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Gray market products are legitimate products that are sold out of their assigned market area. The gray market retailer purchases a product overseas, often at a lower wholesale price than that which is available in the US. The product is then sold in the US at a discount.
That could explain it!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We had that happpen with a used car purchase. Wife wanted a Camry. Found the perfect one. Dealer was pleased to sell us a car. No mention that it was from Canada.
No outward signs. My wife was very pleased. Car was a big success driving to and from work about 12 miles a day. Yet, after driving it for 90 plus days when we got in the car to go out, I looked at the odometer. It showed she had driven over 3000 miles. That could not have been right. So on the freeway I checked the MPH. And it was fine, yet the odometer was clicking over about 1.6 times for every mile we drove. I checked the mileage on the bill of sale. And sure enough something was wrong. I went back to the dealer, and they claimed they could do nothing about it. I said it was registering kilometers driven not miles.
Opps.. OPPPS?
So we drove the car and sold it telling the buyer about the issue. Got a fair price for the sale.
Opps.... Blaah.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm guessing the vender got the radios cheap, not realizing the difference between EU and US models. Passed on the savings and then learned his lesson. That's a nice radio.

Oct 26, 2008
Well, I pretty much expected as much … The retailer through Amazon, from whom I purchased the radio, Jarboys Outdoors & Marine Supplies, from Hackensack, NJ, did not provide any satisfaction. They called their supplier, whom said it was over a year ago … too bad. I'm guessing it is exactly as David indicated … a cheaper European source to entice me with a lower price via Amazon. I should have known not to trust a dealer with whom I'm not familiar. I generally trust what I buy through Amazon, even though I don't often use that source for marine items. This one is going to cost me $150+. Once I get it out of the boat and ready to ship, I'm going to verify with B&G that when they re-program, I should get essentially a US model that gives me the toggling options between the channel bands, not just the US band only. I'll also ask again if they will do this free of the service charge.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well, this sucks. However, Navico might be interested in knowing who is dumping their product in the gray market. It is quite likely Navico tracks the serial numbers and knows to which wholesaler received the radio. I suspect yours is not an isolated case.

Oct 26, 2008
The retailer is still talking to me. He says that it is not the case, but I asked him to tell me whom is responsible for sending a European model to a New Jersey customer (he has to get back to me ;)). I also pointed out the current Amazon advertisement says "USA VHF". This seemed to make an impression. I realize that I was very late (1.5 years) in discovering/raising the issue. That is on me.

Oct 22, 2014
Worth pursuing Scott. Even with Amazon. They do not like the bait and switch marketing that sometimes occurs.
I have experienced a variety of remedies through Amazon. Usually they say "Send it back" even if it is a price issue. I asked What send it back when it can be handled with a simple accounting transaction? Then I learned that it is all about the money. Amazon earns revenue on the sale. A repeat sale means getting paid twice. The charge back is against the Amazon retailer. Who in my case paid twice for not just refunding the difference. ($20 price drop the day I bought it not credited to my transaction.)
This is a product manufacturer retailer issue. And if you have it like new in box you should be able to get some compensation to make it work as intended. Your not asking for a new radio or a refund, just one that is serviceable as originally negotiated.
Functioning/compliant in the US waters.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
You can post a review on Amazon to warn other buyers. Or maybe just threaten to post a bad review to leverage your position. When I shop Amazon and eBay I always read the reviews, sometimes ignoring the sellers descriptions. Some of the bad reviews are obviously from user error, but you can figure that out when you read them. Good reviews are the best advertising there is.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Amazon vendors freak out when they get bad reviews. Hang in there. He who stays on hold the longest wins.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Scott, sorry to hear about this, I found this in their Amazon profile;
Q: Can we visit your store ?
A: We don't have a physical store and we get all the items shipped out of our suppliers, as mentioned above.

They are buying product from distributors and having it blind shipped to you. In the marine electronics world there are a few reliable distributors (CWR, Wintron, Seawide), and a few not so much. If the distributor has a standing agreement with companies like Navico, Garmin, Raymarine etc then they will be careful about who they sell to, I suspect that Jarboys is pursuing some other avenue. I talk to people all day long that have had experiences like yours.....Navico will take care of your radio. Good luck

Oct 22, 2014
I read that also @DayDreamer41. But then I found the EU version mentioned and that the EU version does not have the multiple function selection.
This gave me pause. That perhaps the issue is not a simple program change. I the old days I would say a crystal change. But now a days crystals are not used.

Oct 26, 2008
Does this look familiar?
View attachment 158858
Yes, that's exactly what I found when I started looking into it. The set-up menu does not include "UIC". It goes straight to "CH NAME". Then I looked on the box and it was clearly marked "EU". I first noticed the channel bands because of their description of the display. On my display, the little box reads "INT"

The Tech Service in NH says they can re-program. That's how I know that it can be done for $150. They seemed pretty positive. I suspect that they might receive the EU model and simply send back a US model for the fee and not bother re-programming … but I might be wrong about that.

Oct 26, 2008
Well, in any event, I hope this episode provides some light on a subject before somebody else gets victimized. I don't get the impression that it was done on purpose by Jarboys. I think they didn't have any idea. I would like to know who shipped it though. You'd think that they would pay attention to the model selection. What's working against me is that I didn't install it until over a year after purchase.

Jan 11, 2014
I suspect that they might receive the EU model and simply send back a US model for the fee and not bother re-programming … but I might be wrong about that.
If you do send it back to Navico, record your serial number to see if you get the same unit back. They won't change the label on the radio if they reprogram it.

Jan 11, 2014
I think they didn't have any idea. I would like to know who shipped it though. You'd think that they would pay attention to the model selection
Do you still have the original shipping box? That might have the shippers return address.

The company that shipped the device is well insulated, they don't care and may be a transient company. Think about the layers between you and Navico, You > Amazon> Jarboys > ?????????> ???????> Navico. It is difficult to trace the gray market. Navico knows who they shipped the radio to and you know who you ordered it from. Who knows who is in-between.