B & G Radio set-up

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Over a year ago, I purchased a B&G VHF radio model V50. Little did I know that it comes in US, INT, or AUS models (maybe others, too). I haven't had a working antennae mounted for years, but finally had it rigged up (I think :confused:) last spring. Over the summer, I plugged the radio in and turned it on. I get radio chatter on Channel 16 and 9, but no other channels (but they frequently have little chatter anyway). I get nothing on the weather channels and the radio doesn't seem to transmit. My handheld works fine, and I rarely even use the radio, so I didn't bother to figure out what is wrong until recently when I started to investigate. I just left the V50 off until I install the chartplotter because the periodic alarm for GPS was annoying anyway.

As it turns out, they (whomever that is) didn't send me a US model. I don't even remember whom I purchased it from … it may have been thru Amazon, Defender, or the B&G outlet directly. I looked thru credit card statements, but that will remain a mystery, I think.

The Operation Manual says in Chapter 4 Radio Set-up Menu, that US and AUS models can be toggled between US, INT, & CA channel banks. Mine just says INT on the display and there doesn't seem to be a UIC menu for toggling thru the banks. I still have the box it came in and there is a black mark indicating "EU", rather than "US" as it should have been. You'd think somebody would be paying attention to the shipping address!! What do you think, am I screwed with a radio I can't use? I'll have to wait a few days before I can get B&G tech service on the phone, so I thought I'd look for comments in the meantime.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Can't help you with the radio, however, don't rely on B&G's online tech support. Sent in a simple question last spring, took them 6 months to respond. Then I got a survey asking how I liked their tech support. I used my best diplomatic skills.

Oct 26, 2008
Can't help you with the radio, however, don't rely on B&G's online tech support.
I've had them on the phone, but it takes the day, usually. I use the call-back service that they provide so you don't have to wait on hold forever. What I do know right now is that I have an "EU" model and I don't seem to have the option to toggle to a US channel band. It doesn't make sense to me that you can buy a "US" model that does have the optional channel bands but the EU model doesn't. I didn't even know until I had this problem that there were different channel bands.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Very strange. I know ICOM and SH both have user selectable formats. Maybe the selection menu is hiding somewhere not listed in the manual. Hopefully they can tell you when you finally get hold of them.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Scott
Although different models are marketed for their respective geographical areas, it's the same radio but programmed for the respective frequencies. That means it's a simple fix. It also means I don't know how but B&G certainly will.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I've always had great success calling B&G, including callbacks. The service center in NH has always been very responsive, including rushing my handset s/w update so we could depart on schedule. My radio is set (from the start) for US, but I'm sure yours can be reset.

Oct 26, 2008
Scott
Although different models are marketed for their respective geographical areas, it's the same radio but programmed for the respective frequencies. That means it's a simple fix. It also means I don't know how but B&G certainly will.
I'm hoping there is a solution if I can't return the radio for a replacement! Although the packaging is opened, the radio is essentially un-used. I suppose I might have to send it to them anyways for re-programming. That would be what winter is for.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What I do know right now is that I have an "EU" model and I don't seem to have the option to toggle to a US channel band. It doesn't make sense to me
I agree with the last half.

RTFM? I'm sure you have.

But, that said, hundreds of folks have sailed from EU to US and I don't recall any of them wondering about their VHFs.

Could more sleuthing on your part discover The Answer?

Good luck.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
As it turns out, they (whomever that is) didn't send me a US model. I don't even remember whom I purchased it from … it may have been thru Amazon, Defender, or the B&G outlet directly.
Scott,
You can look up order history on both Defender and Amazon. I frequently look at order history first before looking for receipts.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am curious to see how this turns out. Why make three radios when one can make a single radio with three options. It is all software driven.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Scott,

Great radio. I don’t know for sure if they sell different versions. Hard to believe if you bought it in the US that you would get one not made for the US.

The menu is not 100% intuitive, so make sure you play around with the settings to see if you can change the UIC to US.

I also bought the V50 wireless remote unit and really like it. The base unit stays protected in the cabin, and the wireless handheld uses the full strength and antenna of the base uni.

I hope you get it figured out.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You could try selling it to someone in the EU.

Sorry for your PITA situation.

Oct 26, 2008
Scott,
You can look up order history on both Defender and Amazon. I frequently look at order history first before looking for receipts.
Big shout out to Ward for his suggestion! I did find my order on Amazon and so I was able to locate the retailer. I sent a message to them via Amazon and hoped to get a positive response within 48 hours as advertised. Then, I also got B&G tech service on the phone this morning and confirmed my suspicions. The manual clearly says that toggling between US, INT, and CA channel banks is only available on the US and AUS models. The EU model does not provide those options and is only set for the INT channel bank. Their tech center can reprogram the radio for me for $150 plus shipping.

So then, I contacted the retailer. He did get my message via Amazon and told me he intended to respond. He said it should be a simple fix to reprogram and not a problem. I said, "well, yes it is a problem … it costs $150 for the tech center to reprogram and I don't want to pay for it". I said my shipping address is clearly in New Jersey and the box is marked as a EU model. The cost for reprogramming shouldn't be my problem.

The fellow on the phone did not have an immediate answer for me. I told him that I would gladly exchange the radio for a US model if that is an option for them. I'm guessing that he is going to contact his supplier. I'll give them some time to figure it out on my behalf. I think I will give them a review in here depending upon how it gets resolved. I don't want to say anything negative about them until I give them a chance. :cool:

Jan 11, 2014
Scott, if you paid less than the B&G MAP price you may have received a gray market radio. Navico has been really tough on not discounting their products. They will either permanently reduce their price or offer rebates. When I talked to a B & G rep he said they did this to protect boatyards and technicians. Apparently they were getting complaints that consumers would buy products at a discount and then ask the technicians to install them, reducing the technicians income.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very reasonable Scott. It is good this is happening after the season. Would be added stress if occurs during height of the season. New radio. Want to get it operating. Only folk you can talk with are 3000 miles away.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@Scott T-Bird
I wouldn't focus on the vender should have known you needed a USA radio based on your shipping address. I would go by what you ordered.
I took a look at the V50 currently on Amazon. The description gives model number and states USA VHF. Your order history should show exactly that. That's not what they sent so they need to correct or you follow the complaint system.
Sounds like the cost for reprogramming is reasonable considering the cost of new. Hopefully the vender makes good, by either covering the cost of reprograming or replacement.

Oct 26, 2008
When I ordered it, the description did not include the USA VHF in the description. It does now, and the price on Amazon differs, depending upon which retailer you select. I paid $349 in July, 2017. Now, I see it listed with the same retailer that I purchased it from at $452. The current price at B & G Outlet is $439, WM is $399, Overtons is $350 and APS is $499 (Defender doesn't seem to carry it). I think it is really difficult to determine what might have been "gray market". I certainly don't remember where it was priced in 2017. It's hard to imagine a $100 price jump between then and now. The re-programming fee won't be too hard to swallow if I have to.

Jan 11, 2014
Gray market products are legitimate products that are sold out of their assigned market area. The gray market retailer purchases a product overseas, often at a lower wholesale price than that which is available in the US. The product is then sold in the US at a discount. It is/was often done with high end products like cameras, watches, and some electronics. Some companies won't recognize the warranty for these products. These are different from the knock offs and imitations that you find on the streets of Manhattan and elsewhere.