Axle less (No through axle) Trailer

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
You might need a cross bar above the deck if the frame is not built like a bridge.
If the straps pulled up from the outside inline with the axle spindles and you had a cross bar between the straps with a keel rest and pads (like a boat cradle) you would eliminate the torque effect I think. The bars from the cradle could be pinned to the main frame for travel helping to eliminate torsional twist on the main beams. You could also lower the front and back straps independently and put the boat in to the water level. Where's my sketch pad? :)

The automated hitch extension would be a piece of cake to build. With a remote control you could back the vehicle hitch to the edge of the water climb onto the boat and remotely put the trailer in the water. This would be great for single handed launching when you don't have a dock next to the ramp. I don't normally ask for input on my designs but this is really helping me to open my mind :doh:

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Here is a video about the Timbren systems from eTrailer. I hadn't considered these because they are expensive and I wouldn't want them dunked in salt water. But anyway, this is the only true axle-less system I am familiar with;
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-timbren-axle-less-trailer-suspension-system-asr3500s05.aspx
Those are the ones I plan to use. They are expensive but why not build a trailer worth more than the boat. :banghead:I put electric over hydraulic disc brakes and other mods, that cost more than the trailer is worth on my O'Day trailer.:doh: But it sure is nice to touch the brake controller if the tail starts wagging the dog. The one thing I fell to do is pay myself for labor so the cost of building is parts. Makes the cost of things, like a trailer, look less to my wife Lee.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
In looking at the video on etrailer, I realize this is totally wrong. Build your own suspension. All you need is the pivot point as shown in the video, but rather than use the rubber as shown, extend the beam beyond the axle and install and Air Lift air bag. They have kits that are made to have 5000 lbs of lift. Once you have air bag suspension, it will be very easy to let the air out to lower the boat. You can even let the air out after you have backed into the water. Keep a pressure tank on the front of the trailer, that way you can fill the bags quickly if you need to raise the trailer while pulling out of the water.

I would also suggest that due to the downward angle the trailer is when you back down the ramp, you can have a cross member behind the keel that is higher than the keel. The angle of the floating boat will allow the cross member to easily clear the rear member.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Even with your labour deducted, there comes a point where the cost of the trailer exceeds the costs of a bigger boat. (And that’s saying something, coming from the northerners who are never against a good afternoon of angle grinders). :)