Registered users don't see ads
  1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Awkward selfie

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by DArcy - Islay Mist, Apr 6, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. DArcy - Islay Mist

DArcy - Islay Mist

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    137 posts, 122 likes
    C&C 27 MkII
    Ca Ottawa
    Ever wonder how weird you look when trying to reach into or around things, working on hard to get to parts of your boat? I couldn't see the top of my mast and wanted to take measurements for new fittings so I took a picture. It ain't pretty but it worked.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Will Gilmore likes this.
  2. Hayden Watson

Hayden Watson

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    482 posts, 93 likes
    Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs
    US Oak Harbor, WA
    brilliant

3. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,734 posts, 395 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Both awkward and depressing. Had to stick my cell phone along the starboard side of my engine to see how badly I had stripped the anode bolt with my impact wrench.
    2018-03-25 17.43.42.jpg

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper

Joined Oct 9, 2008
    1,523 posts, 224 likes
    Bristol 29.9
    US Dana Point
    Decided to take a selfie last year.
    Set the timer on the iPhone, and then set the phone against the pedestal compass in front of the wheel.
    Well, the autopilot was steering, following the commands from the chart plotter.
    At least, that's what I thought. You see, the autopilot has a sense of humor, for as I posed in my seat, trying to look like a seasoned sailor, staring reflectively across the great Pacific, this is the picture I got:

image.jpeg

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,541 posts, 1,341 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Chip. You did a very good job stripping that nut.

pateco likes this.
  6. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,055 posts, 506 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    I use that tool at work and on the boat, all the time. Handy. The only thing, there is a whole new parallax error to learn.

Good selfie!

IMG_0902.JPG

Attached Files:

7. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,055 posts, 506 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    How did you get it out?

8. Davidasailor26

Davidasailor26

Joined May 17, 2004
    1,016 posts, 146 likes
    Beneteau Oceanis 37 LE
    US Havre de Grace
    When I was a kid I remember my dad reaching around tight spots with a mirror to see. Who needs a mirror with cell phone videos?

TomY likes this.
  9. Hagar

Hagar

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    27 posts, 14 likes
    Catalina 42
    US Olympia Washington
    First thing I would try is a Grip-Tite socket. They really work. If the bolt is too corroded you can try heating it with an arc welder. Get a good ground connection to the block by unbolting the ground clamp from the cable and bolting the cable directly to the block. Set the welder on about 100-120 amps. Chuck a 3/8" bolt in the welding stinger then short the 3/8 bolt head to the stripped head. Tap it on and let the welder buzz for a minute or so. This will put the heat directly into the frozen bolt. Once it is warm go to work the the Grip-Tite. The welder trick really works. In a couple of cases when I have not had a welder available I have used jumper cables to the house bank. I would not try that on such a large bolt unless you have some really heavy duty jumper cables. They get hot in a hurry.

10. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    909 posts, 102 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Camera phone is the best !
    IMG_1089.JPG

Use it all the time to get a view in a difficult, if not impossible place for me to see.

Greg

11. DArcy - Islay Mist

DArcy - Islay Mist

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    137 posts, 122 likes
    C&C 27 MkII
    Ca Ottawa
    I was wondering about the parallax error but for what I'm doing close is good enough :) The anchor light I'm looking at is 2.13" diameter and I have about 3-1/2".

Attached Files:

12. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,242 posts, 1,443 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    Here’s my contribution.

Attached Files:

13. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    1,876 posts, 719 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    You guys are all so fortunate that your phone cameras work so well that way.
    I 4am my son have a terrible time trying to use the selfie pic for getting hard to reach working shots.
    For example: my son and I were trying to see into a hard to reach spot on Dragonfly that was around a corner and when I used my phone camera to take a reverse view shot looking back it caught only my son and me.
    Wee are both incredibly photogenic so the shot came out like this

20180407_082006.jpg

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY likes this.
  14. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    526 posts, 163 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Yep smartphones can really help and go pro up mast will give you a neat selfie too View from above.jpg

15. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,382 posts, 564 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    A good selfie, errr well, not me...
    DaL4QHiVMAA77JS.jpg
    Jim...

Ward H likes this.
  16. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,541 posts, 1,341 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    James. Thought I heard you did not have a stick but a display between your legs.

JamesG161 likes this.
  17. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,382 posts, 564 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    Yeah we never told the Aviator with the "Stick" that we really flew the air craft. [A6]
    Jim...

jssailem likes this.
  18. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,734 posts, 395 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    It is still in there. Ordered a replacement anode base Yanmar 128270-09300, and once it is here, I will be trying heat. Either welder or torch, and a nut/bolt extractor.
    2018-03-25 17.43.31.jpg Yanmar 128270-09300 Anode Plug.jpg bolt extractor.jpg
    Still worried as this is right next to the fuel lift pump which is attached with two bolts that may also be too difficult to remove. LOL

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. DArcy - Islay Mist

DArcy - Islay Mist

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    137 posts, 122 likes
    C&C 27 MkII
    Ca Ottawa
    Have you loaded it up with penetrating oil? When I pulled the exhaust flange off my boat I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench every couple of days for a couple of weeks before trying to remove it. When I put the impact wrench to the bolts they came out in one piece. They were reluctant, but they did come out. I don't have any photos of the bolts, but they looked pretty much like the rest of the exhaust which was pretty rusted.
    [​IMG]

20. NYSail

NYSail

Joined Jan 6, 2006
    1,641 posts, 58 likes
    Beneteau 423
    US Mt. Sinai, NY
    Be careful of the liquid wrench or any other penetrating oil. They will destroy engine gaskets and cause new issues.

Good luck!

pateco likes this.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.