Autopilot question

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
I have a 1979 S2 9.2C. The Ray Marine Autohelm ST4000+ not working anymore. I am thinking to replace it with the Ray Marine EV 100 system and install it instead. I read good reviews about it. Is any member of the forum think against it

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I purchased one and have it installed but have not used it yet. The boat is in storage. The instruction were very clear having been updated recently and the install went ez. I mounted all the "smart stuff" in a locker on plywood and have it hooked up to my existing NEMA 2k with an ST adapter cord for $30. Prices are all over the place. I got mine price matched @ West marine for around $1,280 + tax. The photo is not 100% still have to install the drop from the motor through the pedestal.

Attachments

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Thanks for the reply David. As of yesterday the coast for it at West Marine is $1500 +. I can get one from Defender for a little less the $1400.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Keep shopping. They go on sale. As far as i know West Marine will still price match contrary to what you may have heard

Avi

Sep 23, 2018
S2 9.2c Palacios tx
Guys, thanks for the information. It feels great to save a few dollars

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thinking about replacing my Raymarine 4000+ also; its been acting up lately at 12 years.
I checked out the EV-100 wheel pilot reviews and even though its reported to be a big improvement over the 4000+, the reviews are mixed. Definitely would be easier to install on my Beneteau 343, as compared to hydraulic unit. I have never seen a below deck unit installed on a 343; would definitely be an engineering challenge because of limited access.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I put in an EV 100 about two years ago, and I have been very pleased. I single hand a lot so it’s like having a crew member to steer. I have it wired into my NMEA 2000 network so it will steer to a waypoint or steer to a wind angle or of course just hold a straight course. Holding the wind angel at zero when raising the main by myself is worth the price. Unless you have a RayMarine plotter be sure your software is the most recent release before you install it.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a 1979 S2 9.2C. The Ray Marine Autohelm ST4000+ not working anymore. I am thinking to replace it with the Ray Marine EV 100 system and install it instead. I read good reviews about it. Is any member of the forum think against it
We too had an ST 4000. Started getting error codes and it also started to drop the course. Was advised that the fix might be more the cost of a new one. So we went with the EV system. It perfectly dovetails with our e7 chart plotter . Couldn't be happier.. Go for IT. !!!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Another vote for anchor express. Always responsive and great prices.

I went with the EV200 with linear actuator. Seems to hold better in following seas than friends EV100. But double or more the cost and much more involved install.

What ever you do get the rudder reference - it really helps.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In evaluating an AP you need to consider how you sail and how you are going to use it. The EV100 has performed well on my 15,000lb 35 ft boat. Sailing or motoring it does a good job of holding the heading I set. I am not a set and forget sailor.

The weaknesses of the EV100 are in:
  1. The motor is small
  2. the rudder, a large control surface, is used to steer the boat by rotating the wheel axle using a belt driven plastic hub.
  3. the unit is out in the weather and the plug covers are made of cheap rubber.
There are a lot of things that can go wrong with this when the forces of the sea conspire to upset your course. I considered these and went ahead and purchased the EV100. I modify my sailing to accommodate the limitations of the equipment. I do not stress the AP motor to handle downwind sailing in big seas. When the waves are 4ft or more I am at the helm. On the other hand when the seas are calm(motoring) or when sailing in a 10 knot wind and I can balance the sails and boat to the conditions, the EV100 does a great job.

I expect that in the next 5 or so years the motor will wear out. It is likely that some plastic parts of the wheel control will fail. Then I will make a new decision based on the best available materials. I have not seen any issues with the electronics. I did find out that you can not set a radio (BoomBox) down near the compass sensor. The system goes crazy and the boat starts to turn in circles.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Consider. Does it tack the boat? The Autohelm ST6000 will tack the boat through a preset angle (say 100 deg) that you can adjust. Very helpful when single-handing under sail. It’s very hard for me to work the sheets when I’m aft of the helm station. With the tacking feature I can stand fwd of the helm station, push the buttons & and the boat tacks to the new course while I have both hands free to work/trim the sheets.:)

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
The EV100 will auto tack. I have had one on my Hunter 35.5 for about 3 years. Its been great so far. I wouldn’t want it on a boat any bigger. It is nice to be able to single hand comfortably. I have all Raymarine equipment so I can not vouch for a mixed system.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I'll vote for Hodges, too. Great prices and service and great to work with

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hodges or Anchor Express. What is critical is the ability to get the system updated with current software. If you don’t have a Raymarine chart plotter your going to need help.

You can ask the seller.
You can send it back to Raymarine.
You can call a friend.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I bought mine at West Marine, downloaded the current software to an sd card, and showed up with my EV100 and the tech guy created a little N2K network, hooked it up to one of the RayMarine plotters in the store, inserted the sd card and Bob’s your uncle, I had the most current software when I installed the unit. My West Marine gives the best service!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What do you want your autopilot to do? Do you want total hands off while sailing? Then the EV100 may not be the choice. I have the predecessor. SPX 5 or something like that. I single hand a lot. It does well for motoring and sailing if the boat is balanced but I’m at the upper limit of displacement. It even does well if somewhat unbalanced. However, under sail, I am at the helm. I tack the boat. I gybe the boat. Not the pilot as I sorta like to sail my boat..The OP’s cockpit is a lot smaller than mine. (I used to have one). Make use of the helm brake. In actuality, the only reason I have a pilot is for longer motoring trips. If the pilot is wanted to sail the boat in all conditions, then get a below deck drive. Actually, it would be a below bunk drive...