autopilot install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroths

Aug 19, 2005
- - South San Francisco
I am installing a Raymarine ST4000 autopilot on my C30, and it requires a rudder position sensor. I am considering mounting it upside down on the bottom of the stern lazerette as there is good access thru the panel there. Placing it there I can attach the sensor to the steering pulley on the rudder post to get the +- 60 degree movement. Has anyone done it this way before? Any advice?

A

Alchemist

Rudder Position Indicator NOT Required

The rudder position indicator is an option for the ST-4000, it is not required. Most boats don't have one. The only input that is required for the ST-4000 is the fluxgate compass. GPS (or LORAN), Wind, and the position indicators are all optional inputs. If you want to mount a rudder position indicator on the C-30, you're in for a real challenge as there is very little room in the area of the steering quadrant. I would recommend that you forego this delight and stick with the fluxgate compass only (unless you want to connect to the "Windicator" which makes sailing under autopilot much more reliable). Steve Alchemist C30T #4764 Alchemist C320 #909

A

AXEL

I installed one....

I installed the rudder sensor but it was a major pain. I can't say whether the auto pilot works better or worse but I will say I am very pleased with it's performance. I cut a slot about 1 1/2 inchs by 9 inches (approx) thru the rear bulkhead right next to the quad (or at the back of the quarter berth). I mounted the rudder sensor right next to the quad. I was able to mount the small post right on the center of the quad. If your thinking of doing it this way and would like to see more detail, e-mail me and I'll send you some photo's

Status
Not open for further replies.