Autohelm on Catalina 309

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Toronto
Hello, auto helm (Raymarine) on my 2006 Catalina 309 all of the sudden showed helm position all the way to starboard when helm is centered, over time as I motored, it returned to center....must be the helm position sensor? May be loose? I recently had my rudder refinished due to blistering, is it possible that pressure on rudder loosened sensor? Does anyone know where sensor is? Thanks you!

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
On my boat, the sensor is on a small platform that the installer constructed adjacent to the rudder quadrant, and is attached to the quadrant itself by an adjustable tie rod. It is accessed by removing the cover on the starboard side of the aft cabin rear teak bulkhead. I can't see how an external rudder repair would affect the sensor, unless the rudder was removed from the boat and the quadrant and/or sensor not reinstalled correctly.

Jul 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Toronto
On my boat, the sensor is on a small platform that the installer constructed adjacent to the rudder quadrant, and is attached to the quadrant itself by an adjustable tie rod. It is accessed by removing the cover on the starboard side of the aft cabin rear teak bulkhead. I can't see how an external rudder repair would affect the sensor, unless the rudder was removed from the boat and the quadrant and/or sensor not reinstalled correctly.
Thanks, will check, only reason I thought issue might of happened after rudder repair is because it happened right after, thought rudder may have been forcefully moved loosening where sensor attaches, think sensor attachment is loose because it drifted back to center over a period of about an hour as I motored....I will look in the compartment you mentioned...thanks for your help....

Feb 21, 2013
Catalina 309 Newport NSW
Autohelm

On my 309 the rudder transducer was fitted off to the starboard side of rudder and connected to the quadrant by a tie rod. A typical installation as I understand. I had a lot of problems with my autopilot after every antifoul.
The cause was that on my 309 the strap that stops the rudder from over rotating was too long to prevent the tie rod from pulling out of its connection to the transducer during the antifoul. During the antifoul the rudder is pushed hard to each side so that it can be cleaned. Sounds like you may have a similar problem. I had a shorter over rotation strap made up and moved the connection of the rudder transducer from the quadrant to a home made clamp that goes around the rudder shaft. Pictures / drawings attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Toronto
On my 309 the rudder transducer was fitted off to the starboard side of rudder and connected to the quadrant by a tie rod. A typical installation as I understand. I had a lot of problems with my autopilot after every antifoul.
The cause was that on my 309 the strap that stops the rudder from over rotating was too long to prevent the tie rod from pulling out of its connection to the transducer during the antifoul. During the antifoul the rudder is pushed hard to each side so that it can be cleaned. Sounds like you may have a similar problem. I had a shorter over rotation strap made up and moved the connection of the rudder transducer from the quadrant to a home made clamp that goes around the rudder shaft. Pictures / drawings attached.
Thanks! Appreciate the advice. I will take a look and let you know if this was the problem!
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.