Auto helm st 50 plus depth trouble

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 ASC GA
I have an Auto Helm ST 50 plus depth finder that flashes o.oo ,somtimes will work ,Then will flash the last depth it was at, Anyone had the same issues and know what needs to be done?

Jan 6, 2010
Jeff,

It's called troubleshooting. If your problem is intermittent, It's usually wiring connections or component failure. I would read the manual & if not happy, contact tech. support @ Autohelm.

A problem like this is usually a simple fix but, who knows? Is your transducer a thruhull or interior puck? Have you run down wiring & connection points? If you are good at elec./mech. troubleshooting, start from point A & work on down. I usually draw up an elec. sketch to ensure I don't miss a step.

I decided several years ago that I would NOT rely solely on a dual unit. Let's say that 1/2 of your GPS/bottom finder took a crap. Maybe both/either GPS & depth took a dump also. Now where are you? Is it nighttime, the seas are bad, the bottom tricky, & neither is working. This sucks man, as captain, you are responsible for all onboard.

I keep a separate GPS & depth finder. If one goes out say the GPS, I still have my charts & the bottom finder is still working. If my bottom finder goes on the blink, I still have my GPS & charts to know where I am.

I just think that in boats as in the new smart cars, are we creating new & maybe more problems? You got a boat, keep it simple. And just so you know, I started in the digital age in 1984 in what we called, "The dark ages." My private side job now is as technical support for the folks that create computer problems over-n-over again. be smart, don't rely heavily on only dual instruments.

Remember the phrase, "The prudent navigator does not rely on only one form of navigation." This is from experience man, Some troubleshooting is needed. Let us know what you find.

CR

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 ASC GA
Ive looked at the transducer and the wiring as far back as I could get to and all looked good, Was hoping someone has had the same issue and could point to how to repair if possible.

Oct 10, 2011
CATALINA 28 MK II MONTREAL QC CANADA
Happened to me 2 yrs ago. Transducer which was supposed to be reliable for many yrs, was flashing , indicating the last reading and then would go dead for a while . Got a new one which works fine since . Capt. Ron is right . Make sure your connection are all good first.

Morning Light