Attention Hunter 49 Owners re: Selden Mast Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
In Toronto, many boats , including mine, store with mast up. It's a huge job on a 49 to de-rig every year.
Not sure where the notifications stand.
Hunter just found out very recently, by their customers who saw the notice calling them.

I guess I've only seen the clubs along Lake Ontario that use a crane to lift out, not any marinas with a travel lift. Yes it will be a pain to drop the mast if you can't find anyone willing to do this mast up.

Selden seem to be pointing blame to owners for the failure..... may be a case of CYA.

All the failed fittings origin from long distance cruising boats with inadequate rig tune and long periods of sailing using only the genoa

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Re: Attention Hunter 49 Owners re:Selden Mast Defect

I don't recall the section in my Hunter 49 owner's handbook where it said that I couldn't sail on genoa alone. Anybody remember what page this was on???

Sep 20, 2006
I don't recall the section in my Hunter 49 owner's handbook where it said that I couldn't sail on genoa alone. Anybody remember what page this was on???

Nor any of the other manuals either.....

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Just completed the online form to get a replacement fitting. Needed to have the mast ID number etched at the bottom of the mast. My mast is etched with a "H426" prefix which probably explains why Selden considers the H44 a H426.

Will let you know when I hear back or get the replacement fitting. In any event it won't be until April when I have the yard do the replacement. I doubt that the old fitting is cracked as Selden indicates that the crack results from putting on many miles with just the Genoa. I probably have less than 1000 miles on the boat and rarely sail with just the genoa which in my case is the standard OE working jib.
Yes. Thanks Marc for the information. I guess I'm just sitting tight until spring since my boat is hauled and stored with the mast up. Looking at this I can't imagine how such a repair could be performed with the mast standing. So this is an expensive surprise, and the second Selden issue this year, including the deformed mass issue they had us all check for earlier this year.
The other thing I can't conceive of how the loading on the part can change significantly with the main up or down. The main places forces on the mast primarily in the athwartship and fore and aft direction, and causes some change in shape of the spar. But I don't see how that fitting sees anything different under those circumstances.
Do you know if any other 44 owners in Mystic are informed on this?

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Selden Mast Defect

I did tell a few folks at the Mystic Shipyard and I also gave a copy of the PDF to Tim Porter the yard manager. I expect that he will notify the other Hunter owners at least those who winter here. One of the yard requirements is that the boat has to be stored for the winter with the mast down. I've never been happy about that because it does cost more but this time around I guess it worked out.

By the way, I missed the deformed mast issue. What was that about?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Greenport

Brewers in Greenport did use a bucket crane to go up the mast to do work on the mast and maybe they can do it with out dropping the mast.
Nick

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I did tell a few folks at the Mystic Shipyard and I also gave a copy of the PDF to Tim Porter the yard manager. I expect that he will notify the other Hunter owners at least those who winter here. One of the yard requirements is that the boat has to be stored for the winter with the mast down. I've never been happy about that because it does cost more but this time around I guess it worked out.

By the way, I missed the deformed mast issue. What was that about?
Please see attachments.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

In response to your question re:performing this repair with the mast up,
I will give you my 100% ubiased and objective answer.
I have spoken with 3 riggers including the one that works directly for True North Yachts.
I have also spoken to the rigger that did the job on an existing 49.
All 3 riggers in Toronto refused the job.
This is owing to safety concerns.
The rigger in Florida apparently (according to the owner) went up on the topping lift only, with no safety halyard. (the other halyard is needed to stabilize the spar)
In the Province of Ontario, that would be illegal.
I'm not trying to be a judge of him, his standards, or professional integrity. I'm just saying that you can't do that here.
I hope this answer is helpful.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Bucket

If you can get the dealer to have all boats needing the part change and rent the bucket for the day and than do many boats in one day rather than taking all the mast down with so much work.
I did see the riggers at brewers in green port do work up high on the mast very safely same way bucket cranes are used in many high work jobs,they did them in the water also along side the dock very safely.
Nick

Sep 20, 2006
Can you send me an email Scott? I'll respond with the files. I don't know any other way.
Just sent you an email. If you don't see it PM and I'll resend my addr.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

Hugely important news!!!!!!!!

Selden had just announce on their web site that they will pay for the cost of a professional rigger replacing the part on your mast !
This is absolutely excellent news.
There will be procedures and details, but I am confident that if Selden's rules are followed, everyone will be happy.
This is my impression on why Selden modified their original approach.
They want to ensure the repair is done properly, and not in any way compromise the boat. This is very responsible of them.
They feel that it needs to be done, and don't want to take the chance a customer puts it off, and stays at risk. Once again.. Great thinking.
Selden will no doubt want to do this on the most economics fashion, and if we all cooperate, this won't be all that tough.
So, the wheels are in motion.
So, thanks to Selden for coming around on this. We all sincerely appreciate your support.
And of course, HUGE thanks to Hunter. I know that they have worked very hard to get this comittment, and are always in their customer's corner. The best customer service in the industry!

Sep 20, 2006

That is good to hear. Maybe if a few owners get to gether or through the dealers and have the repairs done on several boats at a time will help keep costs down.

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA

Just received a letter from Selden today announcing this recall, with a statement that they will pay for replacement.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123

What models where involved in the deformed mast issue?????

Status
Not open for further replies.