Attention Hunter 49 Owners re: Selden Mast Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
To all Hunter 49 owners

Selden has posted a tiny notice on their web site under the "news" section
Digging further, It states that there are defective welds in the fitting that attach the forestay to the mast, and dismastings of owners of this series of masts have been affected. To my knowlege, this has only occurred on Bavaria 46's, but the H49 is listed by Selden as one of the affected boats.
They further state that this occurs if you use your genoa without your main sail.
In contacting Selden, they have stated that they will only supply the replacement part, and all costs of mast repair are the responsibility of the owner.
They suggest it isn't difficult to replace, and are simply sending out some very inadequate written instructions with a new stainless fitting.
FYI, this repair includes:
Disconnecting the forestay from the masthead
Removing the genoa halyard exit box
Somehow fishing the old part out though this exit box, and installing the new one.
And this is while you are hanging 60 feet up in the air on a bosun's chair, with an unsupported deck stepped mast.
I have spoken to 2 professional riggers who have declined the job as way too dangerous.
This leaves pulling the spar.
While Selden freely admits that the welds are defective, they refuse to accept the very modest costs of repairing these rigs, and preventing further dismastings .
Their obvious position is that owners won't waste their time as individuals suing Selden for the $1000 in repair costs. Furthermore, it was grossly negligent of them to simply putting a tiny "news", article on their web site, rather than going to the boat builders and tracking down the owners of boats with potential dismasting issues.
I strongly urge all affected Hunter 49 owners to take a vigilant stance with Selden on this. It is not Hunter's liability, as they supplied a very expensive spar in good fair to their customers.
I am interested in hearing from knowledgable boat owners out there as to our avenue of legal recourse against Selden. They have shown blatant disregard for their customers' safety by taking no constructive steps to mitigate theses damages, and are further suggesting a repair procedure which could lead to grave personal injury.

I can assure you, based on all my prior dealings with Hunter..if they did something which was their responsibility, they'd stand behind it.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
To all Hunter 49 owners

Selden has posted a tiny notice on their web site under the "news" section
Digging further, It states that there are defective welds in the fitting that attach the forestay to the mast, and dismastings of owners of this series of masts have been affected. To my knowlege, this has only occurred on Bavaria 46's, but the H49 is listed by Selden as one of the affected boats.
They further state that this occurs if you use your genoa without your main sail.
In contacting Selden, they have stated that they will only supply the replacement part, and all costs of mast repair are the responsibility of the owner.
They suggest it isn't difficult to replace, and are simply sending out some very inadequate written instructions with a new stainless fitting.
FYI, this repair includes:
Disconnecting the forestay from the masthead
Removing the genoa halyard exit box
Somehow fishing the old part out though this exit box, and installing the new one.
And this is while you are hanging 60 feet up in the air on a bosun's chair, with an unsupported deck stepped mast.
I have spoken to 2 professional riggers who have declined the job as way too dangerous.
This leaves pulling the spar.
While Selden freely admits that the welds are defective, they refuse to accept the very modest costs of repairing these rigs, and preventing further dismastings .
Their obvious position is that owners won't waste their time as individuals suing Selden for the $1000 in repair costs. Furthermore, it was grossly negligent of them to simply putting a tiny "news", article on their web site, rather than going to the boat builders and tracking down the owners of boats with potential dismasting issues.
I strongly urge all affected Hunter 49 owners to take a vigilant stance with Selden on this. It is not Hunter's liability, as they supplied a very expensive spar in good fair to their customers.
I am interested in hearing from knowledgable boat owners out there as to our avenue of legal recourse against Selden. They have shown blatant disregard for their customers' safety by taking no constructive steps to mitigate theses damages, and are further suggesting a repair procedure which could lead to grave personal injury.

I can assure you, based on all my prior dealings with Hunter..if they did something which was their responsibility, they'd stand behind it.
Could you please post the link to this warning on Selden's web page?
Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Re: Attention Hunter 49 Owners re:Selden Mast Defect

Sounds like time to involve an attorney.
There are two PDFs(below). One concerns the fitting. The other has warranty and liability information.
Note that the Hunter 426(?) is also listed.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for posting that info.

I sent a email to Michael on Sequitur, 2006 H49, now in South America.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

If you go to the Selden page, it has a section called "News"
It lists race results, company info, and a title that simple says "forestay fitting", and gives a part number.
Do you think that is adequate "notice"?

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
426 but not the 44?

Sounds like time to involve an attorney.
There are two PDFs(below). One concerns the fitting. The other has warranty and liability information.
Note that the Hunter 426(?) is also listed.
Interesting that they list the 426 and not the 44 as they are the same boat. Sounds like it's time to go up my mast again.

Jul 3, 2006
Wildschut skûtsje Carcassonne
Thanks for posting that info.

I sent a email to Michael on Sequitur, 2006 H49, now in South America.
Scott,

Thank you so much for your concern on this. I received a notification from my dealer last week, filled-out the included forms with my mast serial number and other requested data and sent them off. I got a message receipt from Selden, and I am still waiting for a response from them.

Since Sequitur is also fitted with a staysail, in the remote possibility that the mainstay fitting breaks, the mast will still be supported.

We are going back in the water tomorrow afternoon, and I will have a close look at the fitting when I do my standing rig check and tune. We anticipate leaving Puerto Montt next week headed for Tierra del Fuego, Cape Horn, South Georgia and Cape of Good Hope.

Sep 20, 2006
Scott,

Thank you so much for your concern on this. I received a notification from my dealer last week, filled-out the included forms with my mast serial number and other requested data and sent them off. I got a message receipt from Selden, and I am still waiting for a response from them.

Since Sequitur is also fitted with a staysail, in the remote possibility that the mainstay fitting breaks, the mast will still be supported.

We are going back in the water tomorrow afternoon, and I will have a close look at the fitting when I do my standing rig check and tune. We anticipate leaving Puerto Montt next week headed for Tierra del Fuego, Cape Horn, South Georgia and Cape of Good Hope.

No problem Michael, just wanted to make sure you were aware of this possible issue.

So, what you are saying is Selden has notified the owners directly of this recall as well as posted on their website?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

There has been no notification to owners
That is the reason I initiated this post, was to make the Hunter owners aware
I informed some very good friends who were just about to head offshore. They, nor their dealer knew nothing of this.
Fortunately for them, there was a very accomplished rigger in St. Pete's who was able to do the repair with the mast up.
Apparently this guy has 30 years rigging experience, and he's very talented.
Unfortunately we don't have someone of his calibre here

Oct 1, 2007
Interesting that they list the 426 and not the 44 as they are the same boat. Sounds like it's time to go up my mast again.

If you do go aloft Lee, please post what you find for the part number, and your hull number. I have 44 # 207
Thanks

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Selden Mast Defect

Lee,

I would be interested as well. I have a 2005 H44 #157. Just had the yard take my mast down and store it so I don't know how accesable it is. I'm going to pass this info along to the yard manager and ask him to check it out.

Oct 1, 2007
Lee,

I would be interested as well. I have a 2005 H44 #157. Just had the yard take my mast down and store it so I don't know how accesable it is. I'm going to pass this info along to the yard manager and ask him to check it out.
Marc: I just had my rig pulled and serviced at the yard there in September. If Selden had released this damn thing sooner, I also could have easily inspected the thing. From memory I think I might have the other fitting they show in the pdf. I'd be very interested in what you find out.
Thanks

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct

Heading up to the yard this afternoon and will try to get a look at the mast. If its not readily accesible I'll ask Tim to have one of the crew check it out next week. Either way I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Rick ,Lee and other owners

Made it to the yard this afternoon and did verify that my 2005 H44 does indeed have the recalled forestay fitting even though Selden does not specifically call out the H44 as being effected. I guess when Hunter changes the model name ,Selden is not necessarily plugged into that information. Good pickup Lee.

Luckily for me, the mast is down for the winter and as long as I can get a new fitting from Selden, {haven't called them yet} looks like it will be an easy job for the yard to replace the fitting prior to stepping the mast next spring. I would strongly suggest anyone with a Hunter 41 on up 2004 through 2008 check their rig to make sure that they don't have the recalled fitting.

Thanks to Artboas up in Toronto for bringing this to our attention.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

My pleasure to help. The purpose of this post was to assist with safety Glad it's working!

Oct 1, 2007

Made it to the yard this afternoon and did verify that my 2005 H44 does indeed have the recalled forestay fitting even though Selden does not specifically call out the H44 as being effected. I guess when Hunter changes the model name ,Selden is not necessarily plugged into that information. Good pickup Lee.

Luckily for me, the mast is down for the winter and as long as I can get a new fitting from Selden, {haven't called them yet} looks like it will be an easy job for the yard to replace the fitting prior to stepping the mast next spring. I would strongly suggest anyone with a Hunter 41 on up 2004 through 2008 check their rig to make sure that they don't have the recalled fitting.

Marc:
Were you able to read the article number 517-914 as in the pdf? The picture in your post looks more like the article number 517-924 shown in the pdf.

Oct 1, 2007

Ooops. Just zoomed the pic and I can see the dreaded 914. I'll be interested to know if it is indeed cracked when you pull it out.
Thanks

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Just completed the online form to get a replacement fitting. Needed to have the mast ID number etched at the bottom of the mast. My mast is etched with a "H426" prefix which probably explains why Selden considers the H44 a H426.

Will let you know when I hear back or get the replacement fitting. In any event it won't be until April when I have the yard do the replacement. I doubt that the old fitting is cracked as Selden indicates that the crack results from putting on many miles with just the Genoa. I probably have less than 1000 miles on the boat and rarely sail with just the genoa which in my case is the standard OE working jib.

Sep 20, 2006
There has been no notification to owners
That is the reason I initiated this post, was to make the Hunter owners aware
I informed some very good friends who were just about to head offshore. They, nor their dealer knew nothing of this.
Fortunately for them, there was a very accomplished rigger in St. Pete's who was able to do the repair with the mast up.
Apparently this guy has 30 years rigging experience, and he's very talented.
Unfortunately we don't have someone of his calibre here

You would think Selden would be taking a more proactive approach and at leats informing the manufacturers, would could pass on the info to the dealers.

Doesn't everyone in Toronto drop their mast for the winter anyways? It will be a pain up where we are as most leave the mast up for th winter and it's $6 - 700 to drop and raise again.

Is True North now aware of this recall? They could be notifying the owners they know of.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

In Toronto, many boats , including mine, store with mast up. It's a huge job on a 49 to de-rig every year.
Not sure where the notifications stand.
Hunter just found out very recently, by their customers who saw the notice calling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.