Atomic A4 Drop-In Replacement

Erik F

Jun 30, 2016
Pearson Triton New York
Dear Sailors,

Especially those familiar with the Pearson Triton, 10M etc that uses the red Atomic4 gasoline engine by Universal. My understanding is that they came out with a diesel replacement that has the same footprint for easy transmission hook-up and mounts.

I have been told it is the Universal M25 XPB

I own Pearson Triton #574, a 28' full keel. It is located in City Island, and I hope to exchange the old A4 near-by or junk it to anyone who wants to rebuild it. (I think it worked within the last three years. Head has been off of it this winter. Needs a re-build.

Please help identify the very best motor to fit in, and perhaps an alternate for price if possible. Thanks so much! Great forum

Erik

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Beta if you want a diesel.
Or get a rebuilt A4 from Moyer if you want it drop-in easy.

Erik F

Jun 30, 2016
Pearson Triton New York
Thanks everyone! I do run into frequent enough support for the Atomic 4, but no one recommends replacing it with another gasoline engine. Frankly, I did not know that explosions were such a problem.

This Triton has its original bronze gas tank, built into the hull. I'm determined to use it, rather than cutting it out and replacing....but this requires an inspection plate to clean it out, etc....a huge problem if gas, not so much if diesel.

I know both the Beta and Moyer Marine options, and live nearby. Thanks so much everyone.

As it happened, I found a wicked good deal on a Nissan 9.8 4 stroke long shaft. Hate to spoil the transom, but I'm gonna instal it so the boat can move as early as possible....

So I need the best engine bracket for a reverse transom (15-20 degree angle) that can be angled out to compensate and will also drop the full 14-15 inches.

Panther and Garelick, but which model?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
A properly installed and maintained Atomic 4 is plenty safe. It's certainly no less safe than a propane installation, which can also blow your boat to kingdom come. For whatever reason, people seem to have a huge problem with an A4 who do not bat an eye at cooking with propane.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I know the OP has opted for a outboard so this is just me rambling on.

For most boats just dropping in a Moyer reman is a far better solution than a diesel. It's 1/2 or better the cost, and it's easy. For me to switch my boat to diesel would be new tank, new lines, new wiring, new exhaust risers, new muffler, new exhaust hose, and it won't physically fit so I need to loose a settee. A diesel repower for me would cost more than the boat cost.

Now if the boat was totally bristol and ready for another 20+ years of use? That's when a diesel repower makes sense.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
It's funny how the sailing community is so set on diesel inboards for their safety yet hundreds of thousands of motor boaters and jet skiers hardly bat an eye at the dangers of gasoline. Fixing the A-4 is a great option.

Erik F

Jun 30, 2016
Pearson Triton New York
Thanks so much! This is my feeling too....that there is an unnecessary push for diesel in many cases. It's true about the outboard, but I think this will give me some time to configure things. The A4 should be pulled and traded in for a fully re-built if the conversion is going to break the bank.

Thank you for great advice. In the meantime, I saved about $2000 on the Nissan 9.8, so I'll have some room to get it right. Slowly but surely.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's funny how the sailing community is so set on diesel inboards for their safety yet hundreds of thousands of motor boaters and jet skiers hardly bat an eye at the dangers of gasoline. Fixing the A-4 is a great option.
I don't think the preference is about the safety as much as it is for the economy and range of diesel fuel. For whatever reason, the market has been loyal to small diesel engines for marine use, rather than small inboard gas engines. If I needed to ditch an old gas engine and re-power, I would probably install the diesel for no other reason than it seems futile to buck the trend.
jeepbluetj, it's funny that you mention it, that's exactly what I did (new tank, riser, muffler, hoses, fittings wiring, bumped out the engine compartment) all for a new diesel engine that provides so much more than the old diesel engine provided. My boat is hardly bristol and who knows if I'll have it 20 years, but I'm sure glad I have the engine rather than the savings in the bank if I chose to re-build. I wouldn't have faith in the re-build like I do in the new power plant.

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Erik, what's wrong with the A4 in your boat now? Do you know for sure the entire engine is toast and the whole thing needs to be replaced? The beauty of the A4 is that it's the worlds simplest engine, and unless you've got a piston hanging out a hole in the block you may very well be able to get her running like a top with a little elbow grease and help from Moyer. If you're OK with the outboard for now, that gives you time to figure that old piece of iron out. The side benefit of going this route is that you'll know that engine intimately, and when something breaks "out there" you'll confidently dig in and fix it.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
The gas to diesel will entail more that just dropping in a new motor. It really is MUCH simpler and cheaper to get a rebuilt A-4. I tried the outboard on the back on my Mariner 28. The boat sat stern low all the time and was lower under power. The prop would leave the water in chop, or if a crew member walked to the bow. It pushed the boat fine, but was not an ideal solution. If you are buying a new outboard, an A-4 rebuild might be less expensive. I used the garlick. To get the mount low enough required moving several thru hulls for exhaust, bilge and cockpit drains. And reinforcing the transom and building a block to compensate for the transom. You can see the outboard at the very back of the boat in the avatar. I eventually got a new motor. The outboard solution had a lot of drawbacks, was not easy or simple to install and run. In the long run a Rebuilt A-4 will be easier and cheaper than anything else.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I am anti-outboards ever since going thru cattle pass in my C-22, I had the outboard die 3 times when waves came over the back of the boat and drowned it. Eventually gave up and ran with the wind and tide the long way around. That one experience has made me an inboard only proponent.

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
Hello from a former Triton owner. I miss that boat. # 613 or 630 I think it was.

Dan

Erik F

Jun 30, 2016
Pearson Triton New York
That's good to hear. I've got a long road ahead of me, but the sails are good. The decks are as strong as any I've jumped on, but otherwise quite bad off. Nearly luffing rigging, bad looking wood at mast step, numerous top-side leaks, but someone loved her in the 80's. All kinds of neat upgrades. Outside hose connections and auto bilge, outside speakers, water pump, new head. Every port hole is leak free and fully functioning. Teak risers forming cuddy in cockpit have both broken away, leaving no headsail winches or tie-offs, lines and sheets are all in need. But every single pulley and winch and cleat is otherwise sound. Stanchions need re-do...and the bow pulpit lost on footing entirely. And she hasn't been pulled in a few years. Serious growth,,,,and I'm still diving in.

Through all of this and boat shopping to get out of it, I have found new respect for the Atomic 4. Apparently it runs much quieter than the comparable diesels....though I did find one with a diesel in already in it.

My choice would be to clean her, prep her, take the engine out and re-line and paint the cavity and slowly prep her to sail over the summer. Seal her up, and then sell her for the price of the outboard plus a smidgen. I feel responsible to save her because I am soooo impressed with her sturdiness and bullet proof hull. The lines are so great, and a clean interior is useful with a tiny burner stove and giant cooler wedged. All the hardware is too precioius to let flounder.

Thanks for listening all, I'll post an update when the motor is installed and how well the 26" reaches with the Panther.

Best,
erik

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
There is an upgrade for the chain plates. I will try and find it for you. Oak knee brace and SS bracket. The knee brace gets epoxied to the hull.