atomic 4 removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2005
- - Corpus Christi
I an helping a friend that aquired a Cat30 she is in very good shape, unfortunatly, nobody explained to him the rules of the raw water intake. Consequently he never closed it. After some time away from the boat the A4 has frozen and now needs to be taken out and overhauled or if we win the lottery repowered w/ a new Beta marine diesel. My question, has anybody had to take the engine out of the cabin. Any tips? can I use the boom to lift out the engine. Does anybody that has repowered, have any tips?

Jun 10, 2004
- - naniamo
atomic out

Hi Just finished removing a 5411 deisel from my cat 30 last week. after slightly dismantling the kitchen cabinets it was no problem with the boom. The end of the cabinet and the back should be easy to removed from the in side, mine had about 10 screws to remove.I used the wire backstay and then ran the main halyard back for reinforcement. With padding around the boom and one of those chain engine lifts it game right out and swing the boom over and set it on the dock, the new westerbeek went in just as easy

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
Main Halyard

Another way is to use your main halyard. Lead the halyard down to the engine. Take the main off the boom. Attach a snatch block to the end of the aft reefing line, then snatch it on to the main halyard. The halyard takes all the strain and provides the up and down control. The the reefing line controls the fore and aft movement, and the traveler lines control the port/stbd movement. No chance of bending the boom, and you always have complete control of the engine, even if swinging it out over the lifelines to the dock/ground. I've done three engines this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.