ATN Spinnaker sleeve

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Does anyone out there use an ATN spinnaker sleeve? What do you do with the line that is used to raise and lower the sleeve while the sail is being used?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I hitch it on a horn cleat on the side of the mast.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Or the boom, or the mast base or any other nearby tripping hazard large enough.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Is it possible to launch the whole spinnaker from the cockpit? If the tack line is run from the bow back to the cockpit are the control lines for the ATN sleeve long enough to reach the cockpit?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Is it possible to launch the whole spinnaker from the cockpit? If the tack line is run from the bow back to the cockpit are the control lines for the ATN sleeve long enough to reach the cockpit?
Pretty much, yes. You'll have to run the control line past your spreaders, so watch for chafe. The downhaul doesn't much care to be out of line with the forestay however.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Mine are not long enough to run back to the cockpit. But, they could be made longer and run that way, I suppose. Never considered that angle.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
What downhaul are you talking about? There is just the tack line, halyard, and sheets attached to the sail. Are you talking about the control line for the ATN sleeve?

Does that control line need to be run through a block at the deck to lower the sleeve?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What downhaul are you talking about?...Are you talking about the control line for the ATN sleeve?
The sleeve's control line, yes.

Does that control line need to be run through a block at the deck to lower the sleeve?
I realize that your sleeve's control line is a continuous loop, but when you snuff the spinnaker you'll find it much easier to pull down the sleeve while forward of the mast, especially if the wind's starting to pipe up. The launch, not so much.
So if you want a quick snuffing of the spin, yah, mount something near the forestay to turn the control line back to the cockpit. Doesn't have to be a block. I used an eyebolt on my Mac 25.

Might be a good time to splice up that longer control line, or separate it into two lines, huh?

Aug 1, 2011
You’ll need a turning block. Trying to yank that toilet seat down and have it get hung up in the spreader would be the end of that idea in a hurry.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Just a thought but you might ask ATN if they have a recommendation.

http://www.atninc.com/contact-atn-sailing-equipment.shtml

I ran a full symmetric spin on my C&C 24 with an ATN tacker and sleeve when singlehandling and agree with justsomeguy with being forward of the mast during retrieval. I found that being on the foredeck during retrieval gave me greater control when things got messy in higher winds and reduced the chance of tearing the sail or having it drop overboard when you are getting it stowed in the bag. I’ve never sailed on a Catalina 22 so maybe I’m way off in saying the foredeck is a better place to be, however I’ve found that spinnakers sometimes have a way of “inflating” at just the wrong time when your pulling the sleeve down or something gets jammed up. If your used to being on the foredeck your confidence in moving around there is higher when you really do need to go forward

Aug 1, 2011
A sock is ok, but a top down is really the best solution if you’re short handed. Even a cheap one, if there is such a thing.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I don’t have a bowsprit. I don’t think that I can have a top down furler. How would I mount it?

I agree it would be better.

Aug 1, 2011
If you have a clear line, you can get away without a sprit.

Aug 1, 2011
People have used a variety of solutions including a turning block assembly on the front rail and a short extension to the anchor roller assembly. It can be done, but it takes some creativity.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I think I will start out with the ATN sleeve and see how it goes before I start cutting up or drilling into my brand new boat. Thanks though

Feb 16, 2017
Letlmet,
If you're using a symmetrical spinnaker by following these guidelines you will be fine. assuming the boat is on autopilot and you're secure enough to walk forward of the mast.
1. Preset the fibreglass cone and the head on deck hoist the rest from out of the front hatch.
2. Make sure the spin halyard and the sheet are outside of the jib/genoa sheets
3. after the sleeve is pulled all the way up,
4. Preset the pole and set the afterguy. If you are using an Asymmetrical spin. ATN tacker of the headstay and snug the tack line.
5. Set the boat on a course 150 degrees apparent wind direction.
6. Go forward of the mast have a seat, pull the line that lifts the cone to the top. leave a fair amount of slack tie of to lifeline with slip clove hitch knot.
7. Go back to cockpit crack open beer turn boat to not more than 130 degrees apparent wind direction.
8. Continue consuming beverages and enjoy.
9. Reverse process to take down spin, except for regurgitation of beverages.........

My autopilot is connected to the wind instrument so I set the desired wind angle and the system will control the autopilot and change the course as needed for consistent sailing and less trimming.
*Side note all spinnaker sheets have to be 2 boat lengths long for safety concerns.

Aug 1, 2011
Sounds like a lot of work. Clip the furler tack to the pole, clip the furler head to the halyard. Haul it up, start to unfurl with the (singular) sheet, let the wind and the wind input to the AP do the rest.
When you’re done admiring all the pretty kites behind you, roll it up and do something else. :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I think I will start out with the ATN sleeve and see how it goes before I start cutting up or drilling into my brand new boat. Thanks though
letlmt
You might want to really look into the ATN tacker as suggested above with the sleeve as they work well together. When you want to use your spinnaker be it symmetric or asymmetric you just furl the headsail, place the ATN tacker around it as the attachment point for the "tack" of the sail ie no bowsprit, spin pole or boat modifications required. Great video of the designer using both devices on the link above.