Assym equipment

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Paul. I grab your pictures and scale them to the existing parts top mast.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates:biggrin:

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Clyde - We use ours (thanks Bob James !) a lot. Very easy for the 2 of us with the sock. We attach the tack to the anchor roller bail. Can fly with apparent wind even slightly forward of beam. The inside/outside you refer to is NOT relative to the forestay. Outside gybes are done by letting the loaded sheet out such that the sail flies out forward when DDW, then pulling in on the new sheet. Inside gybing involves first pulling the clew through the slot between the sin tack and the forestay (some easing of loaded sheet) and then as turn goes thru DDW, pull the rest of the sail thru that slot. We make fewer errors with outside, but run the risk of a sheet ending up under the boat. Enjoy - they are fun and add a lot of speed in moderate winds.
How do you secure sheets? Catalina factory drawing shows " (2) single swivel blocks with bale shackled to diamond padeye - one port one stbd." for Spinnaker option. Would assume sheets then run to winch. Haven't checked but wonder of
self tailers would handle 1/4" suggest lines for assym? Also show "shackle single swivel block on masthead bale"
so maybe factory swivel block for spinnaker could handle assym? Thanks for any suggestions.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I attach snatch blocks to the stern cleats on either side and then to the main winches.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I attach snatch blocks to the stern cleats on either side and then to the main winches.
Looks like good way to go. What size sheets do you have?

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

KZW

May 17, 2014
Looks like good way to go. What size sheets do you have?
Good question. I wish I had a good answer. I'm pulling out of the dock in an hour for a three day cruise. I will measure them and get back to you.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Clyde - We use ours (thanks Bob James !) a lot. Very easy for the 2 of us with the sock. We attach the tack to the anchor roller bail. Can fly with apparent wind even slightly forward of beam. The inside/outside you refer to is NOT relative to the forestay. Outside gybes are done by letting the loaded sheet out such that the sail flies out forward when DDW, then pulling in on the new sheet. Inside gybing involves first pulling the clew through the slot between the sin tack and the forestay (some easing of loaded sheet) and then as turn goes thru DDW, pull the rest of the sail thru that slot. We make fewer errors with outside, but run the risk of a sheet ending up under the boat. Enjoy - they are fun and add a lot of speed in moderate winds.
My original order was for 1.5 oz assym; however, loft now says can't get one of my colors - dark blue - but
can get that color in 1.0 oz material. Think that might be too light and I should stick with 1.5? Appreciate
any thoughts.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

bgary

Sep 17, 2015
1985 Ericson 32-III Everett
What kind of conditions will you be using the sail in?
A good 1.0oz cloth should be good in most circumstances up to about 12-14 knots of apparent windspeed. Which means good for running in 14-18 knots, good for close-reaching in 10-12 knots (ballpark) Beyond that you'd be pushing the cloth.
The sail design matters too - both the panel layout and the design (eg, running kite vs. reaching kite)
I bought an "A2" (light running assy) made with a quality 0.6oz cloth. Love the sail, but it will never be pressed - I basically got it to have an option (other than starting the motor) when running down the Sound in 10 knots or less. It is specifically *not* an all-purpose/cruising assym.
$.02

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For your boat 1.0oz should be pretty much bombproof. A 1.5 would be overkill.

On the First 36.7 we have an old light runner in .6 oz airx that we have left up in 20 knots LOTS of times with no damage.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Your sailmaker should be able to tell you how much breeze the 1 oz. cloth can handle. On the boat I race on (Sydney 38) we use a 0.75 oz, spinnaker (symmetric) in up to 25-30 knots.

KZW

May 17, 2014
How do you secure sheets? Catalina factory drawing shows " (2) single swivel blocks with bale shackled to diamond padeye - one port one stbd." for Spinnaker option. Would assume sheets then run to winch. Haven't checked but wonder of
self tailers would handle 1/4" suggest lines for assym? Also show "shackle single swivel block on masthead bale"
so maybe factory swivel block for spinnaker could handle assym? Thanks for any suggestions.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Here is a picture of my spinnaker sheet snatch block on the rear cleat. The red bungee keeps the block from whacking the deck. There is a clean run to the winch. The picture was taken as we were departing the marina for the Wednesday night fund race. Before anyone says anything, yes, I know the sheet is around the winch in the wrong direction. I fixed it after the picture was taken. I've tried to explain winches to the admiral and how to wrap the lines around them. I've tried for two years. I just fix them after she tells me it is ready to go. Bless her heart!

The sheet diameter is 5/16"

Attachments

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Here is a picture of my spinnaker sheet snatch block on the rear cleat. The red bungee keeps the block from whacking the deck. There is a clean run to the winch. The picture was taken as we were departing the marina for the Wednesday night fund race. Before anyone says anything, yes, I know the sheet is around the winch in the wrong direction. I fixed it after the picture was taken. I've tried to explain winches to the admiral and how to wrap the lines around them. I've tried for two years. I just fix them after she tells me it is ready to go. Bless her heart!

The sheet diameter is 5/16"
Thanks a big bunch for these and other suggestions. Sheet size big help. Will put it all together. Looks
like fun.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANT TOO
San Jose, CA

Feb 16, 2015
Hi I am looking at buying a second hand sock the price is right .
It's 16 meters long at the moment and the guy well cut it down and make good to the measurement that I am after ?
Any ideas what length that might be ?
Thinking about 42 foot luff spannaker 12.8 meters
Sock maybe 11.8 meters ?
Any idears ?

Cheers mat

KZW

May 17, 2014
Sounds like you're a true Southerner. Seems rare for that part of Florida. Refreshing, too!
I cannot tell a lie. I've been here for 28 years after bouncing about in the USAF. I was born and raised in New Jersey, a great State to be from (emphasis on "from", as in I'm not going back - ever). However, the parents were from God's county, the Valley of Virginia. I get it from them.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I cannot tell a lie. I've been here for 28 years after bouncing about in the USAF. I was born and raised in New Jersey, a great State to be from (emphasis on "from", as in I'm not going back - ever). However, the parents were from God's county, the Valley of Virginia. I get it from them.
Since you live in Florida that's ok. But you're still a damn yankee. And I say that with all the love in the world for damn yankees - I married one. Her sisters are regular yankees. They always go home after visiting.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
... I was born and raised in New Jersey, a great State to be from (emphasis on "from", as in I'm not going back - ever). ...
What exit? Sadly I could not help myself, as I was off exit 105 or 98 depending on which way you were coming from. :biggrin: