Assym equipment

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Looks like our boats came from factory equipped for spinnaker. Looking through binocs
appears to be "horseshoe" ring with flat swivel block attached that spinnaker halyard
runs through so can see no problem? with using assym? In another forum (C30) there
was some talk about outside and inside gybs for assym ie., around fwd side of forestay
or aft side of forestay. Think with our existing C310 setup outside gyb only way?
Appreciate any thoughts.

Clyde Thoringon
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The purpose of the "crane" is to place the spinnaker halyard block outside of the head stay and allow it to swivel easily from side to side. Unless you want to wrap your spinnaker halyard around the head stay.... gybe the sail outside. The only reason you would bring the sail through the fore triangle (inside) is because you're using a jib halyard... and it will be behind the forestay.
It is actually quite easy to gybe an asymmetrical. You do not throw off the sheet like you would with a tack. Ease out the sheet under control and steer the boat under the sail... Center the traveler but leave the main as is, then simply reach out and grab the entire mainsheet bundle and pull it across by hand. You can reset the traveler after the spinnaker is back under control.

Last edited:

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
Clyde - We use ours (thanks Bob James !) a lot. Very easy for the 2 of us with the sock. We attach the tack to the anchor roller bail. Can fly with apparent wind even slightly forward of beam. The inside/outside you refer to is NOT relative to the forestay. Outside gybes are done by letting the loaded sheet out such that the sail flies out forward when DDW, then pulling in on the new sheet. Inside gybing involves first pulling the clew through the slot between the sin tack and the forestay (some easing of loaded sheet) and then as turn goes thru DDW, pull the rest of the sail thru that slot. We make fewer errors with outside, but run the risk of a sheet ending up under the boat. Enjoy - they are fun and add a lot of speed in moderate winds.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The inside/outside you refer to is NOT relative to the forestay. Outside gybes are done by letting the loaded sheet out such that the sail flies out forward when DDW, then pulling in on the new sheet. Inside gybing involves first pulling the clew through the slot between the sin tack and the forestay (some easing of loaded sheet) and then as turn goes thru DDW, pull the rest of the sail thru that slot.
That. Using a halyard INSIDE (under) the fore stay is setting your boat up for a failure of biblical proportions.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The picture shows my asymmetric set up for outside gybe. Note the lazy sheet running forward of the tack. Gybing isn't a big deal. I pull in the main sheet, run the traveler to the center, and fall off to dead downwind. Centering the main helps keep the spinnaker full, especially in light air. Ease the spinnaker sheet until the chute foot is even with or forward of the tack. Pull in the slack on the lazy sheet, which will now be the loaded sheet. Let go the old sheet while slowly come up on the new tack . Pull in on the sheet, as required. Ease the traveler and main sheet, as required. Voila! The whole process is faster than the time it takes to read this.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Hull #185 came with the Spinnaker halyard coming through the opening just under/inside the forestay. I added a block to the crane and re-routed the halyard to the opening/sheave just above/outside the forestay. Definitely worth it, just make sure when it is stowed the spinnaker halyard is tight so it does not get caught up with the furler. I have a symmetric spinnaker and run my lines outside.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hull #160 has the same setup as above, the spin halyard exits inside of the forestay. I have been using my A-sym as I do a genoa, with the tack line running through a block under the furler. So far I have not had any issues with this setup, a couple of times I dropped the sock to do a gybe, other times I just treated it like the genoa....depending on wind speed. I would rather use the outside method, but will have to go up the mast to add a block and re-route the halyard, not sure how to do this. Could someone post some pictures of their setup? I think Paul J did this a while back but more pictures would be appreciated.

Cheers

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Thanks for those pictures Paul. Why did you change out the original crane, was it because the furling system didn't have the right clearance? Also, is there interference on the spin halyard and the forestay/furler, looks like they may be rubbing?

Another question for anyone to answer, is the original crane adequate for using an A-Sym and if it is, could someone recommend a block for this purpose? I will have to use the binos and have a good look at my crane and the halyard exit.

Cheers

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I used the original crane. I may have used something like a Garhauer 25-13 block (that is what is on the base of the mast), but I don't remember. I do remember whatever I ordered came from them. Could be a Unibody Single Block 25-13 UB, or
Single Blocks with Adjustable Shackle 25-13 UAB.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
In the case of the factory crane, it's possibly too short to allow the clearance between the sail handling system, particularly a top-down rig and the existing furler drum.
Also, the halyard that exits the top of the mast gets into an interference situation if you try to run it out to the block to get it moved forward. The tang for the fore stay lets the line run down, but not out far enough to work properly.
In the top-down scenario, the two drums touch, with predictable results. We moved our block out 6", and this looks like it's far enough, but the boat just went in, so it hasn't been tested yet and will be subject to modification if it's not right. You can't have the two drums touching, that's more of a recipe for carnage than inside gybes.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
The purpose of the "crane" is to place the spinnaker halyard block outside of the head stay and allow it to swivel easily from side to side. Unless you want to wrap your spinnaker halyard around the head stay.... gybe the sail outside. The only reason you would bring the sail through the fore triangle (inside) is because you're using a jib halyard... and it will be behind the forestay.
It is actually quite easy to gybe an asymmetrical. You do not throw off the sheet like you would with a tack. Ease out the sheet under control and steer the boat under the sail... Center the traveler but leave the main as is, then simply reach out and grab the entire mainsheet bundle and pull it across by hand. You can reset the traveler after the spinnaker is back under control.
It is actually quite easy to gybe an asymmetrical. You do not throw off the sheet like you would with a tack. Ease out the sheet under control and steer the boat under the sail... Center the traveler but leave the main as is, then simply reach out and grab the entire mainsheet bundle and pull it across by hand. You can reset the traveler after the spinnaker is back under control.[/QUOT

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Thanks for all great answers. Couple questions. (1) How high off deck should tack of asym be? (2) About how long sheets? Light line? Thanks again for all the help. Been sailing long time but first time thinking of asym.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 25
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks for all great answers. Couple questions. (1) How high off deck should tack of asym be? (2) About how long sheets? Light line? Thanks again for all the help. Been sailing long time but first time thinking of asym.
It can be right down onto the deck, but I prefer an adjustable tackline.
Your sheets should be about twice your boat's length. Both of them. Light line is nice for light air.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
You want the tack of the spinnaker to go as close to the deck as you can get it, especially if you are carrying it at 90 degrees or further forward. I've carried it as far forward as 70 degrees apparent. When I do that, the tack line is pulled in hard to keep the luff as straight as possible. When way off the wind, I've carried as low as 160 degrees before going wing and wing, you want the tack eased. On my boat I've let it out to 4 feet or more. The purpose is to rotate the luff of the sail forward and above the main so it isn't blanked.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hi paulj:
Do you happen to have detailed drawing that you use to make the NEW crane or had made.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates:biggrin: