Registered users don't see ads

Assm spinnaker setup on M25

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by RussC, Jan 28, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. BudGates

BudGates

Joined Apr 19, 2012
    1,006 posts, 114 likes
    Macgregor 26d
    US Ridgecrest CA
    Beautiful! Make sure to share pictures with it flying. :)

RussC likes this.
  2. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    1,086 posts, 414 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Oregon lakes
    I've continued to work on the bowsprit, but was forced to take a couple days off to go sailing ;) we've been having an indian summer, in the 60s, for the past week or more, so we took advantage.
    As with any project, there are compromises to be made. I ended up with a sprit that extends just 8" beyond the bow. this is a fixed sprit, so having it hang out any further just swung the hassle meter too far to the left for me. I'll have to wait until the spinnaker goes up for the first time to really know if my choice was a good ones or not. 8" forward doesn't give a straight shot past the bow pulpit (which is straight above the nose of the bow) to the new halyard block, but hopefully it's close enough to not cause any issues. I do have a backup plan for a removable bowsprit extension if I really find the current configuration unacceptable, but we'll see how this works out first. The reconfigured forestay anchor and the other hard stuff is done now, so future modifications should be much easier ;)

P1050887.jpg P1050878.jpg P1050882.jpg P1050884.jpg

There will be a swivel block attached via shackle in the sprit to run the tack line back to the cockpit. or at least back to the mast, BTW.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BudGates, JCall and walt like this.
  3. Cowpokee

Cowpokee

Joined Jan 8, 2015
    196 posts, 56 likes
    MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30
    US Kerr Reservoir
    Russ, your bowsprit material looks very familiar. In fact I had comtemplated using an old U2 crossbar for my Mac because of the light weight. I ended up using a scrap ss heavy wall pipe from work instead just because I wasn't sure if the lateral loads would be excexsive for the length I wanted.
    NCM_0516 (1).JPG

4. THECUSCUS

THECUSCUS

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    803 posts, 34 likes
    Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38
    US NORTH EAST, MD
    That looks great Russ, it should def do the job!

5. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    1,086 posts, 414 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Oregon lakes
    Ha ha. good eye there Cowpokee. mine was a 155 XC leading edge that a forklift ran over the other end during delivery to me (I was a WW and Pac Air / Airwave dealer). I have a chunk of 6061 sleeve inside of the sprit, so it should be plenty strong.
    :laugh: Do you still fly?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. Cowpokee

Cowpokee

Joined Jan 8, 2015
    196 posts, 56 likes
    MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30
    US Kerr Reservoir
    [QUOTE="RussC :laugh: Do you still fly?[/QUOTE
    Not as much as I used to. I started sailing again three years ago so my wife could share in my passion since hang gliding isn't much of a spectator sport.
    Here is a little of my last flight which was during Christmas break a year ago.

RussC likes this.
  7. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    1,086 posts, 414 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Oregon lakes
    Great video! sure stirs some great memories for me. I never made it to Wallaby Fla, but a couple of us went down to the bay area (The old Pacific Airwave facility) and took an aero-tow clinic from GW Meadows back in the early 90s. spent three days there towing, and got our ratings, but never towed again once we returned to Oregon (we have ample mountain launch sites). still a fun experience for us.
    What time of day were you towing? looks like you had some mild thermal activity, but not enough to head out?
    My back got so bad about 8 years ago that it hurt to load and unload from the truck. once in the air I was fine, but between my back, the local panty invasion, and fellow pilots moving on, caused me to fade away from flying after 18 years and 2000+ hr airtime. I sold my gear a couple years ago, so I guess I've quit. ;)
    Thanks for the memories! Stay high, go far :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    1,086 posts, 414 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Oregon lakes
    All we need now is some spring weather to try this thing out and see what needs changing or adjusting ;)
    Not sure about the sheet block anchors, but it'll do for now until I figure out a better way. maybe some stand up blocks directly on the deck near the cleat. I used nicopress sleeves, covered them with heat shrink to protect from burrs, so it should be strong enough, but maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing. ;)

P1050893.jpg P1050892.jpg

Cowpokee likes this.
  9. THECUSCUS

THECUSCUS

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    803 posts, 34 likes
    Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38
    US NORTH EAST, MD

RussC likes this.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!