Asking the important questions - is it wrong to use a silver dollar when stepping the mast?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would guess that "an Allen wrench in the mast" is like a "slug in a coin slot".

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The only rule to remember is The gods are fickle, and will determine your fate at their whim.
While I agree, the gods ARE fickle, however, they know well that being TOO fickle can lead to their demise. If they lay out a rule, "pay proper homage, or else." and they (the gods) fail to stick to their own contract by executing the 'or else' even though proper homage was given, they will soon find mortals turning a deaf ear to their wishes and POOF! no more god.

Since I own a trailer sailer, I want to know what the proper "rule" is for a mast that gets raised and lowered on a daily basis. Maybe the silver dollar is just a loan and I can collect interest at the end of the day? Or, it is more like renting so I don't have to pay the full price, maybe a wheat penny will do?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Silver is a chemically noble metal. No worries.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Yeah, when you know that the liver function is detoxification and bile excretion, no amount of bacon and onions make it sound tasty. :puke:
I don’t like it because it tastes bad.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Kidney's not much better. And Haggis, well, we've been down that road.
BTW, there is a passage in either Dellenbaugh's Speed Smarts or The North U about placing a quarter under the forward edge of a mast on a dingy, which improved sail shape dramatically. It had to do with pre-bend and I read it 20 years ago so I can't remember the details. But basically the sailers saw that when the pulled on the backstay(?) the sail shape improved. So through improvisation they put the quarter in and cured the slows. Anyone who can supply more details is welcome to correct my memory.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I love fried chicken livers. A chicken just eats bugs, not too toxic. So do many frogs, eat low toxic bugs.:)
Jim...